Tips for driving a manual 6.0? (ZF6) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2012, 04:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thumbs up Tips for driving a manual 6.0? (ZF6)

I just put a deposit on the truck in my sig. Got it for 12,900. When my father test drove it, he started out in third gear but didnt stall it lol. I am 19 and have never owned a stick shift vehicle before but I drive my friends 5 speed Nissan altima with no problem. I am picking the truck up next weekend. What advice can you guys give me on driving, and maintaining a zf6 6.0? Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2012, 04:48 PM

Write Up: Monitoring the 6.0L PSD.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:53 PM

I heard that both trannys in these trucks are pretty bulletproof. Just do regular flushes and what not. BTW nice truck I would love a single cab diesel manual FX4 truck. I bet that was hard to find.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4realestate View Post
Im just asking for advice on the transmission, not the engine
Old 10-09-2012, 05:11 PM

its a hard tranny to hurt your weakpoint is the clutch. other than that change your tranny fluid once a year and drive it smooth and it will prove itself
Old 10-09-2012, 05:33 PM

Whats wrong with the clutch? Also what is the best way to shift? Clutch to the floor every time i shift? And when going from gear to gear, should i throw it directly into the next gear, or a slight pause in neutral, followed by going into next gear? And when taking off in 2nd gear, is it necessary to give it some throttle while letting the clutch out? Or can i just let the clutch out (no throttle) and it wont stall? Thanks
Old 10-09-2012, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixOhPowerstroke View Post
Whats wrong with the clutch? Also what is the best way to shift? Clutch to the floor every time i shift? And when going from gear to gear, should i throw it directly into the next gear, or a slight pause in neutral, followed by going into next gear? And when taking off in 2nd gear, is it necessary to give it some throttle while letting the clutch out? Or can i just let the clutch out (no throttle) and it wont stall? Thanks
Nothing, it will just need to be replaced at some point. It's not exactly the same but on mine I don't think I quite get it all the way to the floor but close. Directly into gear but remember its not a sports car. For the last question you're just gonna have to get a feel for it. I can let mine out in 2nd no problem but I give it a little throttle.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:48 PM

You ever ridden a dirtbike? If so compare it to that all you do is release clutch slowly until it grabs and take off. Shift it smoothly if your grinding gears your not putting the clutch far enough in. Just drive it how it feels natural to you. Sorry it's really hard to explain its something you feel more when driving than actually explaining it online.....If you know what I mean, you'll figure it out regardless I mean it is pretty straight forward. Another thing to is if you hear the motor winding up And the truck is only creeping forward make sure the clutch is all the way out before accelerating. Hope this helps
Old 10-09-2012, 05:50 PM
Premium Member

Shifting will just be a period of learning. Watch your RPMs. They are key when shifting.

As for the clutch, they seem to be pretty good. Here is a post from a person working on his truck, shows his clutch with 582,000 miles on it. He hauls for a living. Looks pretty darn good with that many miles. Of course, he has been shifting for some time!!!!

Engine removal pics - Page 5 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Scroll down for a look at the clutch plate.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstroker127 View Post
You ever ridden a dirtbike? If so compare it to that all you do is release clutch slowly until it grabs and take off. Shift it smoothly if your grinding gears your not putting the clutch far enough in. Just drive it how it feels natural to you. Sorry it's really hard to explain its something you feel more when driving than actually explaining it online.....If you know what I mean, you'll figure it out regardless I mean it is pretty straight forward. Another thing to is if you hear the motor winding up And the truck is only creeping forward make sure the clutch is all the way out before accelerating. Hope this helps
Yeah man i have been riding motocross bikes my whole life i have a 2005 KX250 2 stroke. I get what your saying. Im just new to driving manual cars and trucks and am just interested in on thoughts and tips about the zf6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.