Engine build date...FICM sticker question... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2012, 06:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Engine build date...FICM sticker question...

I'm about to pull the trigger on the good ol' HG & EGR delete fix. I need to confirm the engine build date since my truck's build date is 1/06 which falls right on the change-over date (Jan 11, 2006) to the newer head style with the 20mm dowels instead of the earlier 18mm dowels. I want to make sure i order the correct headgaskets.
Last year when i did the EGR cooler/oil cooler i remember seeing the engine build date somewhere (i thought on the FICM) explicitly stated as sometime in December 2005 but can't find that anywhere now. The white sticker on the side of the FICM has deteriated to the point that its unreadable so i'm not sure if it was there but the yellow sticker on top of it is still mostly legible (see attatchment).
Engine build date...FICM sticker question...-f250-ficm.jpg
It doesnt clearly state the build date but the middle group of numbers is 221205 and i'm wondering if that might stand for Dec 22, 2005? Anyone know if this might be the build date?
Also, i've seen it stated elsewhere that the injector mounting bolts were also a dead give-away of the head change-over as they were changed at the same time from a T-40 to a T-45 bolt... is this true?
I believe i have the 18mm dowel heads but just want to confirm before i order parts.
Thanks a bunch in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2012, 06:31 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
IDK but the block serial number is on the back of the block right by the head on the drivers side. Also there is an adapter for 18 mm and 20 mm heads just search eBay for "6.0 Ford Diesel 18mm & 20mm HEAD GASKET ADAPTER SET".

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

Last edited by Term3; 10-08-2012 at 06:37 PM.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Anyone got any idea about the #s on the sticker being the build date?
I just read in the sticky about "bulletproofing the 6.0" that the 'commonization' and change to 20mm dowels for the headgaskets is visually noticable by the oil dipstick being a yellow ring instead of the T-handle and the 'UFO' nuts mounting the FICM which my motor has both.
Now im doubting myself but im almost positive i saw a build date, somewhere, that was in December of 2005 a month before the commonization...
Arrrg!
Any help is greatly appreciated! Thx.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:02 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
the number on the right starting with a 6 is your engine serial number. Let me see if I can find out any info about when the switchover was made

Quote:
A pre-commonized engine has an engine serial number from 6,000,000 to 6,723,721 (Indianapolis built engines have 7 digits beginning with 6) or 1 to 299,092 (Huntsville engines). The cylinder head, head gasket, head dowels, injector hold down clamps, rocker arm carrier, and rocker arm carrier mounting bolts differ between the "pre-commonized" engine and the commonized engine.
pre-commonized is 18mm. The best way to know for sure is to check your injector hold downs. They will have a T40 bolt. It's tough to tell but if I had to guess your engine serial number is 6,716,586. If so you should have 18mm heads and block assuming it's all original

If you would like I can run your vin and find out for sure if that's your engine serial number?

Last edited by sinner6.0L; 10-10-2012 at 05:09 PM.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:11 PM
Premium Member

Stop by Ford and ask for an Oasis, or at least the build date for you. Need the VIN#
Old 10-10-2012, 05:24 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by amdriven2liv View Post
Stop by Ford and ask for an Oasis, or at least the build date for you. Need the VIN#
Oasis isn't going to tell the OP anything I already haven't. Truck build date is irrelevant if the engine serial number is present. Not to mention your typical service personell has no idea where to find the engine serial number in oasis.

Your not finding engine build date anywhere in oasis either, it's never been recorded.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:26 PM
Premium Member

You are correct on both. 12/22/05 is your build date of the engine and if it has the T40 its 18mm and if its T45 its 20mm. The only thing you have to be careful of is if the heads were ever replace it could have either 18 or 20mm dowels. When your doing the heads make sure you check the dummy plugs in the injector oil rails. If it has a 10mm allen head on them make sure you update them to the newer updated ones which have a 12mm allen head. Part # for plugs is W302908 from Ford. Also if the high pressure pump fitting hasn't been done make sure you do it while its apart much easier and cheaper to do it with the heads off. Part # for fitting kit is 4C3Z-9B246-F. There is a green o-ring on the intake breather that no one seems to install and that # is W302725. Install the updated turbo drain tube 6C3Z-9T515-A and updated fuel pressure regulator 3C3Z-9T517-AG if your not installing a regulated return fuel system. I hope this helps.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:35 PM
Premium Member

When you run the oasis you have to go into HVBOM and click on find vehicle than features it lists the engine serial # in there.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:45 PM
Premium Member

Here is the change over info, From: 07/19/2004 To: 01/16/2006 is 18mm and 01/17/2006 to current model is 20mm unless cylinder heads were replaced then you have to disassemble to make sure what you have. Put on only Ford head gaskets with studs dont use the black onix gaskets they blow even with studs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.