Head Gaskets?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2012, 06:27 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Head Gaskets??

Well fellas, I think they r done. No known EGR problems, deltas never get more than 9*(192 ECT 201 EOT on freeway 75 MPH). I had gotten a little puking during summer but only once and didnt think much of it. But this past week I'm starting to here the dreaded "tea kettle" whistle. havent pulled the EGR valve yet but with my deltas I'm assuming the worst. Thinking about going with the Sinister kit with OEM gaskets, anybody chime in with thoughts? Also, I have to drive this thing five hours to the Sault tomorrow, I have no choice, am I going to murder this thing worse? Thanks guys, and grateful for the the org, otherwise I wouldnt have a clue whats going on...... for better or for worse I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2012, 06:58 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Try replacing the degas cap. They can go bad. Cheap fix if it works.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Change the cap at a minimum, pressure test the coolant system if you can. You already know there is an issue so it might be a risk. If you are going to go keep an eye on the coolant and temps like a hawk..

OEM head gaskets are what I am doing. For the egr delete I went with IPR Gen 2 after Tuscany recommended it (I had a sinister clone sitting in the box even).
Old 10-08-2012, 12:57 AM

I just dont understand, and I guess its a little denial as well. But from my experience w motors, when the head gaskets go, you know about it. Normally w a ton of white smoke and major loss of coolant. I have none of these and she runs like a top. Just that damn whistle! When I get back Thursday gonna pull the egr valve and see if there is any moisture in there.Will also try the Cap too. Thanks guys.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:23 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Your gaskets can have such a small leak that it only allows cylinder psi to enter the coolant but not big enough to allow much coolant back into the cylinder. I had to add coolant 1 time a month or so. My trk was the same way, The temps were all good but my coolant system was always running at 16psi.
You need to take your egr valve off and have a look and test your deags psi like deesle said. As for your trip just try to keep your boost under 10psi or so and keep your coolant level at the updated Min mark.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:22 AM
War is the answer!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
The whistle could be a cracked exhaust y pipe.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 10-12-2012, 02:52 PM

Well, on my trip to the Sault she started consuming coolant. Now getting whte smoke on startup. So today she got dropped off for studs and the whole nine yards. Get her back on Thursday. Sucks, but its cheaper than a new 6.7, plus the guys at the shop I took it to said this is nothing compared to the cost of working on those. So be it. I guess I just got my membership to the ARP stud club!
Old 10-24-2012, 07:08 PM

Thought I would just give a little update. The cab is off and all the new goodies are going on tomorrow! Interesting side noote, my mechanic asked me if I had been into this before? No I replied. He said i had only one bolt holding the turbo, the glow plug harness was wasted, and the scary part is that the high pressure oil "log" on top of the head on the passenger side was missing two bolts! The beauty of buying used I guess! But when she gets back she'll be all better. Really glad now that I'm doing the head job, I drive 40 to 50k a year so I want this thing to be right.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:53 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Just make sure your mechanic sends the heads out to a KNOWLEDGABLE machine shop and when I say knowledgable I mean on the 6.0 head not knowledgable on 350 small block heads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.