Snow Plows - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2012, 12:19 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Snow Plows

Been looking at getting a snow plow for 2 years now, finally saved enough money to pay for a good portion of one. The question is what are the cons front end, trannie? The truck is my dd i have plowed before but never owned my own. My bosses never told me about problems with their truck. Just want some insight on what i might be getting myself into!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2012, 03:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to mustangman02232 Send a message via Yahoo to mustangman02232
If you run it yourself and know what you are doing plowing isn't that bad, I have a fisher minute mount on mine and it's all my family has run for years with no problems, never had any truck issues either from the plow, I even have stock ball joints at 100k
Old 10-08-2012, 07:36 AM
Premium Member

I have a Western 8.5' pro plow with the ultra-mount. Easiest on and off plow I've ever used. Most of the time I have a Hansen snow blower on the mount instead of the plow.

I've found that I'm a lot easier on the plowing when it's in my own truck than I ever was with a work truck. When I'm plowing I lock the hubs, but that's about it. Haven't had any plow related problems yet, but I only have one season on this truck so far. Time will tell...
Old 10-08-2012, 01:39 PM

My buddy's 6.0 has a Boss plow on it. No issues plowing so far. He changes the tranny fluid and filter a few times a winter. He also changes the oil and filters every 3k. Seems to do the trick because he hasn't had any plowing related issues. He also runs high idle when waiting in the yard.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:53 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Should get the Plowright optioned fan clutch.

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app
Old 10-08-2012, 07:39 PM

So as long as im not out abusing it it should work out best for me with the amount of accounts i have got now without having the plow.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:58 AM

Feedback Score: 12 reviews
We run meyer plows on everything we have. We run 4 trucks for doing our accounts and u always have the chance of something breaking or going wrong. the motors have solenoids on them that can go out. over the many years we have been plowing i think we have cracked one a frame of the plow and it was hit HARD. No damage to any of the vehicles. 2 years ago we had a hydraulic line get pinched. Plowing is our income for the winter so we basically have a whole wall of meyer parts because we need to have it in the emergency of something breaking. for cons, i would say wear and tear on your vehicle is the worst. Rust because your in the salt when its being put down. We havent kept a truck past 80,000 miles so im not sure on the long lasting effects
Old 10-09-2012, 05:41 AM

Around our area we dont salt our roads city puts down sand and state puts down a liquid de-icer so thats a big plus.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:21 PM

Any recommendations for brand and type of anow plow. And I also have a four inch lift will this effect me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.