FICM??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2012, 03:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
FICM???

Okay... I am a new diesel owner and bought my truck used after about 2 months of looking. The truck has ran great until recently. For about the past month when I go out to start it, it starts fine but is extremely rough running and has no power until it gets warmed up. It also jerks going down the road until it is good and warmed up. Once it is warm it runs great. There is no white smoke coming out that I have seen and no other issues once its been running a while. It has 111k miles. I just recently had new ball joints and seals put in by a co-worker who is a retired ford mechanic. He looked it over and said it appears to be the FICM. I dont know much about these but have heard they need to be flashed to the specific truck?? I have heard horror stories of private garages doing this work but I also know the dealership charges and arm and leg for this. Any suggestions. Thanks guys!!

Truck is an 06 F250 6.0L 4x4 stock
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2012, 04:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

For any FICM issues, I'd recommend Ed at FICMREPAIR.COM. He turned down my business because he knew I didn't have FICM issues and even correctly guessed what my problem actually was - even though many others said it was FICM related. Ed was right and I solved my problem. I haven't done any actual business with Ed yet, but he's definitely got a customer for life. Honest = GOOD! Hope that helps!
Old 10-06-2012, 04:23 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Welcome. Load test your batteries, then google ficm test procedure, or go to ficmrepair.com.
This is absolutely necessary if you wasnt to enjoy your truck.......Write Up: Monitoring the 6.0L PSD.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks guys... I will start researching some of these suggestions and post back.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:49 PM

I'm a new diesel owner too, I bought my 03 with about 111,000 miles on it a few weeks back. I had a no start issue after one week and followed the steps to diagnose it on FICMrepair.com. I found that I had 48 volts with the key on and 18-20 while cranking (no good). Before the no start, I noticed that it would take more than one time cranking over to start the truck. I also got eight injector lows (check engine light) the day before.

Anyways, I sent my FICM to ED and opted for the $325 service since these seem to be such a common issue on these trucks. In fact, the FICM I took out was a replacement dated 2008. I also added the eco-tune while Ed had it. I am very happy with how fast the repair was done. The truck also runs much better now with the new tune.

New owner to new owner, the next thing you should get is some sort of monitoring solution. I picked up a scan-guageII for about $160 and am happy with it so far. You can view all sorts of data in real time and probably predict issues before they become issues. Among the guages you can program into it are FICM power, FICM logic power, and FICM sync. Also, EOT and ECT, which are very important to look at as these seem to be the root of many of the bigger issues.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Update... I will definitely be pulling the FICM myself and sending it off after I test it. I called Ford today and with parts and labor they want 1200 bucks!!! Thats Crazy... Thanks for the help guys!
Old 10-08-2012, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan234 View Post
Update... I will definitely be pulling the FICM myself and sending it off after I test it. I called Ford today and with parts and labor they want 1200 bucks!!! Thats Crazy... Thanks for the help guys!
Just pulled mine off for the 1st time to replace my #8 injector. Takes only minutes to remove your FICM. $1200 is INSANE!! Good luck with it! One tidbit of advice, ALWAYS pull your oil dipstick out before messing with your air filter assembly or you run the risk of busting off the handle - a $15 part you don't want to replace if you don't have to. The dealership busted mine and then tried to superglue it back together.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

That sounds like the dealership... Actually found a company here locally about 15 minutes down the road that repairs the FICM. They have great reviews from here and other forums and because I'm local it 100 bucks to repair. Tuning is obviously additional. Work comes with a guarantee so what is there to loose. The dealership can pass 1200 bucks off on some other poor soul.

Thanks for all the help guys wouldn't have found this place without the help
Old 10-08-2012, 06:24 PM

Texan234 what is the name of the place that repaired your FICM? I'm in DFW area myself and any local help is great vrs sending FICM off for repairs. Thanks for any contact info you can give me.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

website is ficmfixer.com. He is in The Colony which is just west of Frisco in Denton County. Phone number is 214-616-7858. I havent had a chance to take mine to him yet because of work but will be making an appointment this week. I talked with him today and he advised if you make an appointment and your local he can get it done while you wait.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.