Multiple 5th wheel trailers? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2012, 10:15 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Multiple 5th wheel trailers?

Anyone have a 5th wheel? I'm curious how it works for height adjustment and tweaking it so that the trailer is level... Additionally if you have multiple 5th wheels can you have it setup so that you don't have to do anything in the truck bed... Ideally i'd like to be able to unhook my car hauler and hook my camper within seconds or minutes.. (currently have a bumper pull enclosed car hauler and no camper want some info!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2012, 11:44 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
You should have adjustments for both king pin box and 5th hitch receiver. On a single purpose truck/camper it's set and forget, with multiple campers you may have to find a happy medium at the hitch receiver. You will have multiple adjustments at the king pin box, and multiple adjustments on the hitch receiver.

Here is some info.
http://www.etrailer.com/question-44961.html

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
Old 10-06-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilpooh View Post
You should have adjustments for both king pin box and 5th hitch receiver. On a single purpose truck/camper it's set and forget, with multiple campers you may have to find a happy medium at the hitch receiver. You will have multiple adjustments at the king pin box, and multiple adjustments on the hitch receiver.

Here is some info.
A 5th Wheel Trailer Needs to be Towed Level by Adjusting the Kingpin and/or the 5th Wheel Hitch | etrailer.com

Thanks for the info. haven't bought either yet.. Still just have a bumper pull trailer and want to learn as much as possible before purchasing either one. Might even just stick with a bumper pull enclosed car hauler and a 5th wheel camper..
Old 10-06-2012, 05:37 PM

After talking to many guys, I have discovered something that I think almost every married (or long-term relationship) guy would agree with and that is that when your lady wants something, you end up in possession of it somehow. For example, my lady wanted to acquire a travel trailer, so guess what I now have in parked in my driveway.
I really wanted to buy a bumper pull trailer so that I could still take my Yamaha Grizzly out with us. Instead, we ended up finding a very nice 25í 5th wheel in great condition, a deal we really couldnít let pass us by. This is really the reason that I went and bought the PSD. I am not made of money so brand spanking new isnít in my cards lately, but I am pleased with having a 5th wheel over a tow behind because it tows so nicely, hardly even notice itís even there. I have a small 10í enclosed cargo trailer I use to haul all my carpentry work tools from site to site, and although its less than Ĺ the weight of the 5th wheel, I feel it behind the truck more. When I am in a better position, I would like to get a newer trailer, and after towing the 5th wheel, I wouldnít want to consider anything else, so maybe next time itíll be a toy-hauler.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:43 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
It's nice being able to see the king pin lock into the hitch, can't do that with a ball hitch.

A fifth wheel tailgate comes in handy also, only takes one time to forget you didn't put your tailgate down when pulling away from the hitch......... I learned that one the hard way! LOL!

Old 10-06-2012, 07:59 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

If you haven't got a hitch yet, I would recommend getting the b&w turnover ball and the 5th wheel companion. It's a nice setup, as you dont have the rails I the bed. And you have gooseneck and fifth wheel capabilities.

Sent from my iPad using Autoguide
Attached Thumbnails
Multiple 5th wheel trailers?-imageuploadedbyautoguide1349582330.011461.jpg  
Old 10-07-2012, 04:58 AM

I appreciate all the info... unfortunately I bought the 20ft car hauler before I bought the truck. Mainly because my old towing rig wouldn't accept a 5th wheel. I bought that new and I'm still very pleased with it. Getting ready to set it up either this weekend or possibly next weekend to help my brother move. Very curious to see how drastic of a difference it is pulling with a f350 dually vs my v8 ford explorer HAHA...

I think ill keep the enclosed trailer and get as much use out of it as I can. However if a deal comes along where I can trade it for a good price for a 5th wheel I'm sure I won't pass it up..

Also I have read on many threads on this forum that the b&w is the best hitch.. I don't disagree but I just want to know what makes it so much better?!

Sent from my DROID4 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 10-07-2012, 05:27 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelbyoung View Post
If you haven't got a hitch yet, I would recommend getting the b&w turnover ball and the 5th wheel companion. It's a nice setup, as you dont have the rails I the bed. And you have gooseneck and fifth wheel capabilities.
Totally agree on the B&W. It's well built and having the option to remove the 5th wheel companion and make the bed 100% available with no rails, etc is awesome.

One to thing to add....I suggest also a set of air shocks so you can level the truck when the 5th wheel is attached and then adjust the hitch to level the 5th wheel. Otherwise, you'll have the camper level when you adjust the hitch but the truck won't be level. Took me awhile to get all of my items "dialed in" but once they were adjusted, it's just like a tractor trailer now....back up, hit the king pin, secure electrical connections and roll.

I don't use my receiver hitch much since going to the 5th wheel and gooseneck route but my next item on the wish list is to get the backup camera that will work with the CTS. That would make connecting to a tag along awesome! Hey Santa......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.