Bpd oil cooler? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2012, 04:22 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bpd oil cooler?

How good do these work, are they worth the 2200 dollars, has anybody ran these, had any problems with them? I wanna start bulletproofing my truck and I've heard about guys putting 2 or 3 factory oil coolers in, it kinda seems like it'd be worth the money for one if they work good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2012, 05:42 AM
Premium Member

There are a few people that have them, and I agree with you that it sounds good but the price is scary.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:45 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I would have one if it wasnt 20% of what I actually paid for my truck.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:48 AM
Emergency Services

There are a lot of threads about how well they work and a couple schools of thought on the subject. If you never want to touch an oil cooler again the BPD cooler is definitely the way to go. IPR has an oil cooler relocation kit that makes it easier to change out the oil cooler if you don't mind buying new coolers and swapping them out. Or you can just stick with an OEM cooler and dive back in when it clogs.

Along with the above is the topic of coolant and coolant filters. If you coolant is maintained and filtered some will argue that your cooler will not clog and you won't have to change it. Maybe you will and maybe you won't, really it's a gamble if you ask me.

I usually come out on the losing end when I gamble, I plan on keeping my truck for a long long time and I don't want to have down time to swap a cooler again so my decision was an easy one.

Sent from my iPad using AG Free
Old 10-06-2012, 07:10 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

maintain the cooling system properly and the stock oil cooler is basically fine. If you were really worried, the IPR relocation setup is worth the money since its knocks the cooler change time down to about 30 minutes.

Jason
Old 10-06-2012, 08:02 AM
Premium Member

Bpd is a nice set up no doubt.
Personally I opted for the ipr kit because its a $1,000 cheaper. And when ran in conjunction with their high flow coolant filter, there's no way the coolant side of the oil cooler will ever get clogged, you would be amazed at how much crap the filter keeps out of the cooler!

Old 10-06-2012, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonY View Post
maintain the cooling system properly and the stock oil cooler is basically fine. If you were really worried, the IPR relocation setup is worth the money since its knocks the cooler change time down to about 30 minutes.

Jason
From personal experience i disagree with this. With that being said every truck is different. When i got my truck, coming up on 3 yrs now, i did a coolant flush and refilled with ford gold. A few months later i got the wrench light for oil temps. Ford put a new cooler in and did another flush. Within 8 months it was clogged again. This time i switched over to cat elc and did the flush with restore and restore plus. 4 months later clogged again. So i repeated the process again with all new parts and flushing till it was clear as day. Yet again another clogged cooler 6 months later. This time i switched to the BPD cooler and havent looked back. Its been 3 months and 5k and its working perfectly. If i would have done it the first time it would have saved me the money on the next 3. Live and learn.
i do agree the ipr kit is nice but still has the possibility of clogging but does dramatically cut down on repair time. The BPD kit is just that, bullettproof
Old 10-06-2012, 08:13 AM
Vintage Nakamichi Powered

Wow.... is that a coolant filter ??
$2200.00 is crazy money for a oil cooler. I have 74k on my oem egr cooler too still good 4-5 degrees. Get the ipr filter and factory will last if coolant is maintained.
Wished I bought ipr full flow, have sinister but it's doing it's job I suppose. 20k coolant service is easier than the coolers imo?
If money was no issue I would go with it, but still how do they feel it's that good??
Old 10-06-2012, 08:19 AM

Agree the price is alittle steep but in my opinion and case it was worth it. I havent worried about oil temps since the install and i know truck will never be down due to an oil cooler issue. Even towing in 90 degree heat my oil temps havent been more than 10 apart from coolant
Old 10-06-2012, 08:38 AM

113k miles on the original cooler and i have a 7-8* delta tops, was less before the EGR delete, ever since the delete the truck runs much cooler.

I think the chemical flushes cause more problems than they solve since when they are done, the system is almost impossibly dirty to be cleaned completely resulting in a bunch of debris that will continue to clog the cooler.

JMHO

Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.