Typical beginner Q's - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2012, 06:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Typical beginner Q's

Sorry for the noob question, but I just want some opinions. I plan on purchasing a 6.0 2007 Lariat somewhere down in the south, however, this truck will be returning to Massachusetts. That being said, they have emissions testing on diesel trucks which means I need to keep my EGR set-up. If I were to purchase a truck that has been well maintained, replace the EGR valve and replace the EGR cooler with a Bulletproof Diesel one and continue to remove/clean my EGR valve every third oil change would I be increasing my chances of reliability or just prolonging the inevitable? Also some other forums mentioned unplugging your EGR valve, therefore it keeps it closed and won't crap up your intake, but throws a CEL code. I don't on babying this truck, but I don't tow/plow/mud/race either. I'm assuming this has been posted multiple times, so I apologive but the govn't CPU I am currently using has 50% of this site blocked so if someone can post me a link that could lead me the correct way I'd appreciate it! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2012, 08:34 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Check the temp delta for the oil cooler, do not worry so much about cleaning the EGR valve, they can stick, but oil/egr cooler failure is the catastrophy that you want to avoid, I would just turn off the EGR through tuning. You cannot go wrong with BPD products, and your truck will still pass emmissions with either the blocked BPD egr cooler and tuning, or the regular BPD egr cooler, make sur that you have a cat on the truck that you buy, they are big$s to buy !
Old 10-04-2012, 08:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjeeper View Post
Check the temp delta for the oil cooler, do not worry so much about cleaning the EGR valve, they can stick, but oil/egr cooler failure is the catastrophy that you want to avoid, I would just turn off the EGR through tuning. You cannot go wrong with BPD products, and your truck will still pass emmissions with either the blocked BPD egr cooler and tuning, or the regular BPD egr cooler, make sur that you have a cat on the truck that you buy, they are big$s to buy !
Safe thing would be to replace the oil cooler with a BPD cooler, get a tune to turn off the EGR and not worry about the EGR cooler now because it's turned off from the tune or should that be replaced with a BPD as well?
Old 10-04-2012, 09:20 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Your tune simply closes the egr valve if it is still in the truck as well as keeps the computer from throwing a code for low egr circulation. Or any other egr component faults that the computer will throw.

As stated find one with the CAT still installed as they are close to $1500+ from the dealers.

If you get one I suggest getting either BPD egr cooler or IPR's egr cooler. Both are great products that have been proven to last. The first thing you should buy even before your truck if you do indeed plan on purchasing a 6.0 is a monitor to take with you so that you can monitor all the engine vitals before you make your purchase so you can know exactly what your about to get yourself into.

There are many options for monitoring but the top three are (in no specific order) Dashboss if you have an iOS device (iPod touch, iPhone or iPad), Edge insight cs/cts, or a scangauge II. All three work great for monitoring the engine vitals. You need to asses the health of the oil cooler and egr cooler before purchase or you may not even get it home and have problems.

All this said the 6.0 can and is a GREAT engine IF the owner PROPERLY maintains it and monitors it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.