ccv homemade kit - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2012, 06:27 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ccv homemade kit

has anyone installed their home made ccv kit under the hood instead of installing along the frame under the truck? i live in a very cold climate and i am concerned about those vent hoses freezing and creating excessive back pressure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2012, 06:31 PM

You can always just drop it as straight down as you can so the oil won't make a mess of anything. Keeping it close enough for heat but far enough to not melt or burn off the oil.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:32 PM

there was some guys who made one from a garden sprayer or something like that they bought at tractor supply company, it even had a mesh screen in it.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:43 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
When I made my own CCV mod I mounted it on the frame and it gets COLD here in the winter but what I did was use 3/8" copper tubing to run along the CCV lines going to and coming from the CCV filter canister plus wrapped it around the canister itself then I insulated it with that foam pipe insulation that you can buy for your home plumbing then I ran the coolant from my coolant filter piping through this copper tubing. The CCV mod stays nice and hot so there is no worry of some condensation collecting in the bottom of it freezing and plugging it off. It's more work but I don't like just running a hose to the ground like some gys do.

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app
Old 09-11-2012, 06:57 PM

found the thread i was talking about. you could mount the canister in the engine compartment to catch the oil where it should stay fairly warm and just vent it back to the intake. here read it for yourself i thought it was good info
My $25 CCV Mod! Easy!
Old 09-11-2012, 07:01 PM

I would think if you hugged the CCV tube close to the engine block the added heat will help get things toasty quick (quick enough to melt whatever ice has accumulated).

I may be out of line though, the coldest this Texan sees is temps in the teens for a couple days a year.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:09 PM

I left mine under the hood but i like the copper tubing or ss tubing. My question is and no one has told me, is it bad to drive through a dusty area with the ccv mod.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tivs View Post
I left mine under the hood but i like the copper tubing or ss tubing. My question is and no one has told me, is it bad to drive through a dusty area with the ccv mod.
Considering the crank case pressure is pushing gas going out the tube, I dont see how dirt could get into the engine, especially if you have a longer ccv tube (i.e 3 ft)
Old 09-11-2012, 09:08 PM

If you make the entire run slightly downhill, the tube will never choke up. I've had mine over a year and it got into the teens here last winter, never had one bit of trouble. You will see some steam from condensate burning off, but no concerns.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:09 PM

if your worried about dust just put a breather filter on the end of the line then you will definitely have some filtration if any air is going in and all the oil will just leak out the filter media if it accumulates enough. I know some of the 6.4's seem to have barely any noticeable collection in their canisters so a lot of guys have just vented to air and a breather would give you that peace of mind for keeping the dust out.

EDIT Here's S&B choices for you, good filter media and good price think I will use this for mine now too!
http://www.sbfilters.com/Store/Aluminum-Base-Vent-Tubes

Last edited by AllGo'N'Show; 09-11-2012 at 09:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.