04 Powerstroke Diesel Stalling? Water in Fuel Light On? Shutting off while driving? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2007, 09:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
04 Powerstroke Diesel Stalling? Water in Fuel Light On? Shutting off while driving?

Hello,

I am new to this forum and would really appreciate any help. I have a Ford Powerstroke Diesel, it is a 2004 with about 120K miles and recently when I am driving it will stall or sometimes shut off the engine. This mostly happens also when going over a bump, and then it wants to shut off and the engine light and fuel in water light comes on then goes back off after a couple of seconds.

Anyone know what this could possibly be? I have replaced oil and oil filter and fuel filter, still the same problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2007, 09:08 PM
The Fat Mod

You may have some chaffed wires. That is a problem on the 04s. Does it start right back and run fine?

to the ORG
Old 10-17-2007, 09:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yes it starts up back fine but will do the same problem again. It's continous though.

I am driving and then it will hickup and bring the engine light and fuel in water light on, then it will lose a little power and after a couple of seconds while im still driving it will come back to normal.

I dont know what it is, I have been reading on this forum before and heard people say the fuel filter, I just replaced both filters (factory part) and still having the same problem.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

What do you mean by chaffed wires?
Old 10-17-2007, 09:17 PM
The Fat Mod

With the wires going to the motor from the PCM moving around, over time, the insulation on the wires will crack. If it touches something, it will short. I would fire up your truck, and get under the hood and see if you can move some wires around to see if you can make it stale out. Also check your ICP connections.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:18 PM
The Fat Mod

Have you tried pulling any codes?
Old 10-17-2007, 09:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

No, no codes. The engine light isnt on, it just comes on intermentantly for a couple of seconds and then goes off.

It just seems strange that while your driving down the road it does this. Even sometimes when I come to a stop and accelerate, it will choke and turn off the engine.

Is this common, any other symtoms? I have to get to work tomorrow with this truck. Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Old 10-17-2007, 09:36 PM
The Fat Mod

Just check your wires while it is running. If you find some, maybe you can patch it up with some electrical tape till you can get a permanent fix.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:44 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Check all your wire bundles around the engine. This appears to be what I had. Look around the the injector wires on both heads and where they go under the turbo. Also look at the split loom which goes to the exhaust pressure sensor. This is the wire bundle that rubbed raw on my truck on a small 8mm stud. You may need to remove the air filter to get access to repair this wire if it is the one. If you need, turn the engine on and let idle. Carefully not to burn yourself or get near the fan, move the wire bundles around. If you get it to stop, check closely for worn insulation. The reason that you get a few different things happening is that the sensors and senders are on the same 5v circuit. Ground one out and they all fail, causing the engine to die.

Also, check the ICP sensor. It should be on the passenger cylinder head towards the front.

Last edited by Betaracer; 10-17-2007 at 09:51 PM.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hi,

Thanks for your replies. Is there a picture diagram of all the places you just talked about.

Do you guys think it could be the camshaft position sensor? What is icp?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.