Just switched to the FORD side and have ?s - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2012, 05:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Just switched to the FORD side and have ?s

Just bought a 05 F-350 SRW with the 6.0, first diesel, first ford. (been a gas GM guy) has 156,000 miles on it. Was looking it has the Banks Six Gun with IQ but its missing the IQ screen, has banks exhaust, banks high ram intake, and an EGR Delete the same if not very similar to this 6.0L Basic Diesel EGR Delete Kit

I know just the basics of diesel engines, and have scoured the forums for a few weeks to get an idea of what I'm dealing with. Right now my top concern is that the passenger side valve cover seems to be leaking just at the bottom (lower side) and is likely mixing with another oil leak somewhere on the motor but the starter and bell housing have drops forming, and id say about 10-15 drips total in 9 days of having it. the passenger side head on the back seems to have the most oil on it, and i think that is where the only leak above bed plate is. the bed plate is leaking just enough to make about an inch of the block wet above the bed plate on drivers side.

Also, on the passenger side just above the starter in the very back of the block there is some sort of a threaded plug with two metal contacts inside. Anyone know what this is for? Im hoping its for a block heater a I will be moving to MI this winter.

Wondering too if there is a way to tell if the heads have been removed/replaced or studs installed without tearing it apart too much

I know there are more questions that I've got, but i forgot them already.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2012, 05:31 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
First thing you need to do is ditch the Banks IQ, it will total your trans. Get you an SCT with custom tunes and you will be amazed.

I would make sure that the valve cover bolts are tight. Our valve cover gaskets are designed to be reused. My valve covers have been off 5 times since I have owned it, never had new gaskets, and doesn't leak a drop. Another known oil leak on our engines are the glow plug harness, the o-rings will leak. New harness is not really that expensive. I put a a new one on with my HG's and studs because it was leaking on the back 2 cylinders.

To tell if it has studs - look on the outside of either head and you will see a row of head bolts/studs going down the outside. If they look like a the head of a normal bolts, you have factory TTY bolts. If the look like a bolt with a nut on it then you have studs.

IDK about the threaded plug with the contacts on it. I have a block heater, I will look tomorrow and see where it plugs to motor and let you know.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:00 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
This is #1, imo....Write Up: Monitoring the 6.0L PSD.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:35 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Yea southend for some reason that slipped my mind. ::screwy:

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide App
Old 09-10-2012, 07:11 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Hehe.....#2-coolant filter, #3-blue spring update.....etc.......

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:39 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
OK, thanks for the help guys. bummer i do have TTY bolts, was hoping studs were done already.

I did find out in the 6.0 bible that what i was talking about was a block heater, now to find the powercord, which is probably $75

wiped the oil leak away yesterday and it hasnt shown up yet, but i havent started it at all since, but I'll find out tomorrow if its a run only leak.

I think i can get the banks knob for cheap and I can sell the whole banks chip to buy a SCT, but i dont know if i want canned or custom tune model.

As far as the banks tearing up the transmission, I noticed that it goes all the way to 2500 rpm when i unplug it at what I assume to be the 2-3 shift, at around the 20-30mph area, although I was babying it. What can I do to try to tell the condition of the transmission? I know the PCM detects and compensates for wear so it might be tough to find any signs or symptoms. Any help with insight to the transmission would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.