Mikes 6.0 Build - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2012, 03:31 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Mikes 6.0 Build

Iím finally getting some free time from school and should start getting some money rolling in to help support my diesel addiction

Anyway, I wanted to start this thread now even though Iím not planning on actually starting the build till around Christmas. I want to get all my ideas sorted out and finalized and start slowly buying parts till everythingís ready to go!

To start off here are the current specs on my truckÖ

2005 F250 CCSB Lariat 4X4 6.0 3.73 Limited Slip
6Ē SkyJacker Lift on 35X13.5R18 Fakin ATs
New Ford Heads
New Oil Rails
New Glow Plugs
ARP Head-Studs
OEM Ford Gaskets
New Ford Oil Cooler
Full EGR Delete
Updated FPR
6.4 Banjo Bolts
Updated Turbo Oil Feed Line
Updated Turbo Oil Drain Tube
Updated Stand Pipes and Dummy Plugs
Updated STC Fitting
Coolant Filter
SCT X3 Tuner running Vivianís Looney Wild
MBRP 4Ē Turbo Back no Cat or Muffler
AirAid Intake w/ Zoodad
Edge Insight CTS for Monitoring
CAT EC-1 ELC
Shell Rotella T6

Now for the buildÖIím going to break it down into a few sections to keep things organized. Lets get started

TURBO
Iím planning on getting a turbo from a member on here that was originally built for me back before I totaled my old truck. Itís a stock 03 turbo that Adrian (madpowerstroke) got his hands on. He fit a 58mm/88mm compressor wheel, fully polished the inside and inlet of compressor close toleranced the compressor wheel-to-housing, and did a mod to the backing plate to fit the 88mm exducer. He also back cut the silence ring to open it for a intake whistle, and help air flow. It truly is a one of a kind. It's not a Stage 1,but then again it is a MAD Custom Turbo that will blow away a stocker. Currently Eli (SixO~Stroker) has it on his truck, he is planning a build for sometime next month I believe and is upgrading to a Stage 1 IIRC so hopefully I can get my hands on it. If not I will talk to Adrian and see what he can do with my stock turbo for me.

INJECTORS
This is where Iím going to need some input from you guys. I really donít know much about injectors and what works with what. What are your experiences with injectors on a basically stock turbo? What has worked for you and what would you recommend? Keep in mind I do not tow at all and will be getting a towing tune written to pull some fuel just in case I have to hook up to a trailer at one point because you never know. The truck will just be me daily driver and I want it to run strong, yet clean, and get the most power I can. I have no particular HP goal for this build; I just want it all to work well with each other. I am going to stick with Warren for the injectors as I have heard nothing but good about them and I just feel good running a proven product. This leaves me with a few options: 155cc, 175cc, 190cc Also what % over stock should I be getting This is where I will need the most help, so Iím counting on all of you to chime in.

TUNING
Right now Iím running Vivianís Looney Wild. She is actually the only tuner I have ever used. I had her regular Looney on my old non-studded truck and it ran great! I have been hearing a lot of hype about Chris@TSD and his SPD tune. I think Iím going to see what Vivian can do for me and then see what Chris can do in comparison and then go from there. Iím really curious to see the difference between the two and I am really excited to try a tune without the ďlight switchĒ affect, which I have gotten used to and donít really mind but Iím about ready for something new.

I also forgot to mention that my FICM is on its way out and I have decided to get it fixed by Ed@FICMRepair.com and have PHPs Atlas 40 tune put on it. I have a thread on this topic that has a ton of good info about fixing/tuning your FICM.

Dying FICM, Time For A Tune?

Thatís pretty much where my build stops for now. Iím not looking to do anything crazy, just want a truck thatís going to run good and strong and be a reliable daily driver but also still be able to kill your every day Duramax and Cummins. What Iím really going after is to get back some of my lost power that I had with my old truck. A 6Ē lift on 35X13.5s really slows you down a bit. With these mods and with my setup where do you guys think Iíll be at HP wise? Quarter Mile Wise? Any other suggestions are more than welcome.

Thanks For All Your Guys Help

-Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2012, 06:28 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I would run 155's with that turbo. If you plan on doing anything more turbo wise, go ahead and get 175's and get fueling pulled out of them.
Old 09-08-2012, 03:31 AM

Subbed. Looks like you have your plans thought out pretty well for this build.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:04 PM

Lets get more into detail about the injectors, this is going to be the most expensive part of my build and I want to make sure I do it right the first time and don’t have to open up the engine again because I’m not happy with the results. I have been reading up on a few really good threads about injectors and it really got me thinking. It appears that most guys are running 190s simply because they allow for the most future potential for a larger turbo, but they can also have enough fuel pulled out of them to work flawlessly on a stock turbo truck?

I think I have pretty much made up my mind on 190s but this leaves the question on nozzle size open for debate. I understand the whole percent larger than stock, and which ones empty faster etc. It seems to be proven, that a larger nozzle size will make more power (190/100s make more power than 190/75s everything else equal). Because diesels are designed to run way lean, wouldn't having a longer pulse width, so a slower emptying injector, cause more of the fuel to come in contact with more air for a more complete burn, and more consistent force on the piston equaling more power? It seems that this apparently isn't the case, but why is that? If having more pulse width would yield more power, wouldn't having a smaller nozzle size make that possible?

Also, it would make sense that at higher rpms you will have a limited amount of combustion time before the power stroke is complete, so a larger nozzle would be able get the most out of the injector. Based on that reasoning, at lower rpms, nozzle size shouldn't make any difference since there would be adequate time to drain the whole injector body. Obviously there is a limit where a nozzle can be too big or too small for a certain injector size.

The common nozzle sizes for 190s are 75 and 100%, and people have made more peak horse power with 100% nozzles. Is this because there is really not enough time to empty the 190s with 75% nozzles at high rpm? Or is that something that tuning could address by advancing the injection timing further ahead of TDC, and give more time for the injection cycle? Also, has anyone looked at how the whole power curves look for each, does the 100% nozzle make more power all the time, or just at higher rpms?
Old 09-08-2012, 10:31 PM

175cc/billet stage 2. Not too big injectors, not too big of a turbo

If you are going with elis modded 03 I would stick with 155s and good tuning
Old 09-09-2012, 03:56 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I have Warren 155/stock in my truck. I still have the stock (not for long, gotta call Adrian) and it runs great, for stock turbo. A little smoke on take off then it cleans up pretty nice.
I am thinking about getting me some 175/30 but I gotta talk to Adrian about my goals and what he thinks I need.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide App
Old 09-09-2012, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselburner21 View Post
175cc/billet stage 2. Not too big injectors, not too big of a turbo

If you are going with elis modded 03 I would stick with 155s and good tuning
I agree that 155s would work great with Eli's modded 03 but why not just get 190s and have fuel pulled from them? That way If I ever wanted to upgrade t maybe a MAD Stage 2 it would be as simple as swapping turbos (easy) and getting my tune rewritten (even easier).

As I said I'm not as much concerned with 155s vs 175s or 190s but rather what % over stock I should be considering that will work best with hat I'm after.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 09-09-2012, 06:52 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
What percent really depends on what size injector you choose to some degree. My personal opinion is that you go with the smallest nozzle that will let you empty the injector fully at WOT and 4k rpm. That will give you the best balance of HP and TQ. The smaller nozzle will produce more torque with better driveability, while the larger nozzle empties faster and produces more horsepower peak. This is all based around how much of the power stroke is done while fuel is burning. The smaller nozzle will cause fuell to burn more evenly, smoke less, and burn through more of the power stroke due to better atomization of the fuel. The larger nozzle will dump the fuel in more quickly, bigger droplets, that will smoke more, and burn off more quickly in the power stroke. That is how I understand it anyway. That doesn't address the question of how much fuel a given mass of air requires to make maximum power though. With a stock or lightly modded turbo I would go with a stock nozzle 155. A Stage1 maybe 155/30. A stage2 175/30 and a stage3 190/50 to 190/100. Just my opinion. Others may not agree.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:16 PM

Thanks Mitch! That seems to make better since. I guess my initial idea of 190s is a little too big for what I'm after. Let's say I went with 175cc/30%. Could I have some fuel pulled from them and then max out the fuel when I eventually get a Stage 2

I just want to avoid having to buy I hectors again in maybe a year when I an upgrade to a bigger turbo. Plus I only want to have to swap injectors once. It's not like swapping a turbo, not that it's hard but it's definitely not something I want to do twice if I can't help it

Thanks for all the great ideas and advice so far. Let's keep it coming!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 09-10-2012, 01:56 AM

Agree 100% with Mitch's recommendations. Personally, I'd buy the 155's. Those and a MTW Stage 2 should put you well over 500 rwhp, and you won't be driving a smoky pig until you get the new turbo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.