How can I avoid intercooler hose blow off again? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 09-06-2012, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How can I avoid intercooler hose blow off again?

A few weeks back I let some family use my truck to pull their 35' camper to a campsite. On the way back, my truck blew off the LOWER intercooler hose and stranded them beside the interstate on a pretty steep grade. While trying to get the lower back on, my uncle ended up removing the upper hose in order to get the lower back on. This had never happened to me, so I started asking around and reading about it, seems it's a pretty common issue. Everyone is telling me once it has blown off it is most likely going to continue to do so when towing until I replace the spring loaded clamps, and some are saying the hoses as well.

My issue is, I may be pulling a car hauler with an H3 Hummer on Monday about 250 miles, and I really want to avoid getting stranded beside the interstate trying fix this thing 10 times on the way home. What are everyone's experiences, and what all should I replace (if anything) before the trip? Do I needed to replace both hoses and the clamps to feel confident?

Thanks for any help

2006 F350 SRW Lariat
post #2 of 16 Old 09-06-2012, 07:31 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
How old are the hoses? They maybe weak from the oil soaking into them from the CCV. If they are original with a lot of miles on them, then replace them and the clamps with new.

If they aren't that old, you can clean them with a degreaser along with the piping, spray the inside with hairspray, slide them on and clamp.

2004 F350 CC DRW King Ranch
X-3 tunes by DJ'S,QT,GH,ID. Gryphon FICM tunes, ARP studs,Stage 1turbo,ATS coolant recirc lines,Swamp's 48v ficm,coolant filter,AD2,Snow Perf stage II,EGR delete,4" turbo back straight pipe,S&Bintake,Quad "A" pillar autometer gauges,Suncoast Tri Disk Conv.,Billet input shaft,Suncoast superduty rebuild kit,Trans-go shift kit,Mag-Hytec trans pan,CFM+ elbow,ccv mod,15K reese 5er,17" LCD TV/DVD,Cobra 29 Nitewatch CB
post #3 of 16 Old 09-06-2012, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

As far as I know this is the factory hoses, truck has about 89k miles on it now. Maybe I should just go ahead and replace then. Is everyone just using the OEM replacement hoses and clamps? I'm sure that's all I'll be able to get my hands on in time anyway, but is there any aftermarket ones that are less likely to blow off?

2006 F350 SRW Lariat
post #4 of 16 Old 09-06-2012, 08:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
mine has done this only twice at 95k it happened the same way twice i pulled off the interstate while towing a load to refuel and did not let the truck cool down as i normally do and turned the truck off. i refueled and entered the highway after the turbo cycled the vgt to full boost it then sticks wide open and blows off the hose repeatedly until allow it to completely cool down at which time it will work perfect like it never happened be interesting to see of they refueled shortly before this happened and didnt let it idle to cool the turbo.
post #5 of 16 Old 09-06-2012, 09:34 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
From my past reading it looks like most people replace with Dieselsite or Riff Raff couplings.

2006 F350
6.4 banjos
FP spring
Insight CTS
IDP/Looney SCT X3
Studded
Durastroked
S&B,CCV
FICM Repair/PHP 40hp

2008 F250 FX4
DPF-R +
post #6 of 16 Old 09-07-2012, 03:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ford upgraded the OEM hoses. RiffRaff sells better quality hoses for a good price.

Mark
06 F250CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets; Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter; High-Idle;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax trans case;Fumoto valves;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower270AXP;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's; BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;BilletWaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL;ELC Ultra
post #7 of 16 Old 09-07-2012, 05:09 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to jimmyv13 Send a message via Yahoo to jimmyv13
Stay away from dieselsite boots...go with Riffraff or OEM.

This will more than likely continue to happen until you do a CCV reroute and get the oil out of the intake system.

2005 F250 CCSB Lariat FX4

4" MBRP Turbo Back*Sinister Coolant Filter*SRL+*'10 Tailgate*Dicad EGR delete*Premium EdFICM*Powerslot Rotors*Hawk Pads*Riffraff boots*DIY CCV*ARP's*'10 Tails*N-FAB Steps*'12 Rear Bumper*Dashboss*Pioneer DVD*'08 Trans Pan
*Bullitt y-pipe*'14 PE PF Mirrors*Fox 2.0 IFP*'08 Diff Cover
post #8 of 16 Old 09-07-2012, 09:59 AM
War is the answer!

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Do NOT use desiel site boots. Also look into the ccv mod. I have had 0 issues with mine since I did it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

White 04 F350 Lariat SRW/CC/LB/FX4 227,XXX+
Studs/BPD58V FICM Atlas40/BPD oil cooler/waterpump/7.3 fan
Edge insight CTS EGT/Turbo timer/FP SCT with ? Tune
Powermax w/KC billet wheel Warren 175/30%
5-8" MBRP Off Road Turbo Back/harpoon
2" Leveling/33' BFGATKO
ELC/PMM Coolant filter
aFe Stage2/EGR Delete

Semper Fidelis (Always Faithful) is the motto of the Corps. That Marines have lived up to this motto is proved by the fact that there has never been a mutiny among U.S. Marines.
post #9 of 16 Old 09-07-2012, 03:37 PM

Hmm. Why not go with the diesel site boots and aluminum vs. plastic intake pipe?
post #10 of 16 Old 09-07-2012, 03:40 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarChild View Post
Do NOT use desiel site boots.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Read post #74.
Got "Diesel Site Boots"?

2004 F350 CC DRW King Ranch
X-3 tunes by DJ'S,QT,GH,ID. Gryphon FICM tunes, ARP studs,Stage 1turbo,ATS coolant recirc lines,Swamp's 48v ficm,coolant filter,AD2,Snow Perf stage II,EGR delete,4" turbo back straight pipe,S&Bintake,Quad "A" pillar autometer gauges,Suncoast Tri Disk Conv.,Billet input shaft,Suncoast superduty rebuild kit,Trans-go shift kit,Mag-Hytec trans pan,CFM+ elbow,ccv mod,15K reese 5er,17" LCD TV/DVD,Cobra 29 Nitewatch CB

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode