Toyota guy venturing into diesels.. help on 6.0 purchase - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2012, 06:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Toyota guy venturing into diesels.. help on 6.0 purchase

All my life i've owned Toyota landcruisers and 4runners... except a brief stint in 5.0 mustangs. Now with family and kids I need a larger rig with a nice size bed. Tundra doesnt fit the bill. I just located on a lot near me a 2004 f350 CC w/ the 6.0 psd. The vehicle is in mint condition, not a flaw on the body and the leather interior is immaculate. Its got 64k on the odometer, no fifth wheel, never been chipped or modded. It has a tekonsha brake controller so it looks like whoever owned it did alittle towing off the hitch. I called the dealer today to run the vin and fax me the oasis and it was clean. First owner had it till 40k and the second had it till 64k. The carfax is also clean. I looked under for anything suspicious. Rust on leaf springs, driveshaft etc and inside of brakes. I read everyones stories about the 6.0 and they are troublesome because the vehicle is selling for $21.9 so not much left to be fixing issues. Can i get oppinions? My desire is not to mod and go faster. I'm used to driving slow... Toyota rigs remember. I'm all about reliability and longevity. Getting as many miles out of the rig as you can and enjoying it. What is your opinions please?

yes its my first post... lurking like everyone else till the need arises. thanks in adavnce
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2012, 06:52 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Welcome to the org.

Get a good monitor for whichever 6.0 you buy. I use the Dashboss setup for my iPhone. (Dashboss only works with iOS devices such as iPod Touch, iPad, iPhone) If you have one of these devices you can get you dashboss and have it hooked up for a great monitoring solution for $169.95. I love mine and know of a few other people who run them and love them as well.

There is also Edge Insight CS/CTS and Scangauge II. A complete Edge monitoring solution will set you back about $600-$700 and the Scangauge II is around $150-$250 IIRC. All three are a great monitoring solution it just depends on what you prefer to have.

Get a monitor on that truck before you purchase it and check the EOT and ECT if they are at a 15* spread or more on flat ground at highway speeds (65-70 mph) for about a 5 to 10 mile drive than your looking at an oil cooler rebuild. I would check it out first then if everything checks out buy it. If something doesn't check out than I would make them repair it before purchase free of charge.

Always remember when it comes to owning a 6.0 a monitoring solution is a REQUIREMENT not an option. And proper maintenance is key.

I would also suggest after purchase to dump all fluids (brake, oil, trans, front and rear diffs, transfer case, coolant and power steering) and refill with new. That way you can start your OWN maintenance schedule with the truck and keep it current.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:02 PM

choice

Well that truck sounds like a clean machine!! Kinda steep on the price but mileage is king right know in the used maket.

No mater what diesel you choose Ford, Dodge, Chevy they all have issues!! Any diesel likes to be worked!!

If your not going to be towing something over 5000lbs then look at a crew cab Tundra. Diesels are exspensive plain and simple!!! Fuel is more! maintenace is more!! and if you have problems ... well price out a set of injectors and labor!!!

The Tundra will cost more initially but less head ach and exspense in the long run!!
Old 09-06-2012, 07:03 PM
Premium Member

Don't let Tuscany 's picture scare you off!!! LOL

Ok, Tuscany up dated his sig picture. His truck is looking good!

(For those that stumble on this thread, Tuscany had a photo of the front clip off and heads off the engine)

Last edited by amdriven2liv; 09-19-2012 at 07:17 AM. Reason: Tuscany updated his sig picture!
Old 09-06-2012, 07:04 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by amdriven2liv View Post
Don't let Tuscany 's picture scare you off!!! LOL
HAHAHA yeah I know right. I am in the middle of head gaskets and studs. It's not as bad or as hard as it looks.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:13 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Here was the response I gave just the other day. Go to this thread, READ thru it and be sure to click on the attached links with in this thread.

New to Forums, buying 6.0 Powerstroke, buyers guide?
Old 09-06-2012, 08:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milehighturbo View Post
Well that truck sounds like a clean machine!! Kinda steep on the price but mileage is king right know in the used maket.

No mater what diesel you choose Ford, Dodge, Chevy they all have issues!! Any diesel likes to be worked!!

If your not going to be towing something over 5000lbs then look at a crew cab Tundra. Diesels are exspensive plain and simple!!! Fuel is more! maintenace is more!! and if you have problems ... well price out a set of injectors and labor!!!

The Tundra will cost more initially but less head ach and exspense in the long run!!
+1

I sold my 2005 Tundra Double cab 4wd and bought a 2006 Lariat CC 4wd. I always wanted a diesel and so when it was time for timing belt, transmission service and tires on the Tundra I made the decision to sell it.

I have nothing big to tow, but anticipate towing my Jeep and a travel trailer someday.

I've been fortunate enough to only have had the FICM begin to fail, which I recognized with my ScanGauge II and took care of very reasonably cost wise. I have 140k miles on the truck, clean OASIS, one owner (before me), no tuners or other modifications, etc. Basically it's stock.

That said, I likely would go a different route if I could do it over. As was pointed out in the above post, the POTENTIAL costs and POTENTIAL problems can be pretty big. The possibility of these costs and problems is what bothers me. They can be fixed but they are not cheap and there's no guarantee that they'll go away the first time around.

I'm just monitoring my truck and keeping my fingers crossed. Coolant filter, timely oil changes with Rotella T6, Ford Cetane with each tank of fuel, and my ScanGaugeII are my preventative measures. I should say that I like my F250 more than my Tundra and it is certainly much, much more stout truck.

The difference being that for the 90k miles that I owned the Tundra I never had a problem that I can recall. I drove it everywhere, off road, road trips, camping, light towing, etc. Never a single issue or "threat" of an issue. There is a freedom in that which you might say is priceless.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for all these replies... OK here is a followup question based on these responses..

If in the back of your head you're always waiting for something to go wrong then would a 5.4L settle the worries? What I'm saying is this, I want a full size ford. I dont want a f150.. there is something appealing about the SD that the 150's dont have. I'm searching for a truck and the normal course of action is to be directed to the 6.0 because lets face it... I want to drive a diesel truck. I love the maintenace, thats what has kept my toyotas going for so long... its always the issue of potential problems where the out of pocket cost to fix is large. Would I be better set to say let me get the truck with a 5.4 and maintain it and just know that my mileage would suck?
Old 09-19-2012, 02:50 AM

I don't know if the 5.4 is any good with these bigger trucks. But my friend has the 6.8 V10 in his 250 and that thing gets up and goes like there is no tomorrow. I do know with the second gen 5.4 they tend to have an issue where the spark plugs break off in the cylinder head... and they also tend to 'pop' out as you drive down the road.... I'm not sure what year they stopped making the V10's but if I was going to go with a big Ford pick em up truck that wasn't a diesel, I'd go for the V10.

Travis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.