Coolant flush - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2012, 01:55 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Coolant flush

Think I need to replace my oil cooler. Could someone please tell me the proper way to flush the cooling system. Should it be done before or after. Are there any additives that need to be ran thru it. Please help. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2012, 03:36 PM
information regurgitator

http://home.comcast.net/~lyon.family...ush%20v1-0.pdf
That is everything you ever wanted to know about how to flush the 6.0
Flush before replacing the oil cooler.
Should you need any help with the task of replacing the oil cooler, click here
Old 09-05-2012, 05:59 PM

I am also possilbly looking at a new oil cooler, but want to try a chemical flush first. I have read the 6.0 flush manaul in the link provided, and it is super thorough. I was thinking of doing a modified version of it, in combination with the way powerstrokehelp does it on youtube. I have heard that some people on the forums aren't fans of his, but if the flush N fill is performed the way he does it, ie. running a large amount of water through the degas bottle (after thoroughly warmed up), would we still have to pull the block plugs? One of the main reasons I want to avoid the block plugs if to prevent having coolant draining everywhere. It would be easier to just collect from the radiator drain. At least on the first couple of flushes. Here is my step by step process that I am planning on using. Please comment if you see any major issues.

1) Open degas tank, and drain radiator through pet**** valve. Fill with tap water.
2) Run up to operating temperature, with heater on high.
3) Repeat step one and two until clear. Collect first two flushes for proper disposal. May also pul ThermStat for first series offlushes, and will reinstall for chemical flush.
4) Once relatively clean drainage is observed, fill with tap water. Add 3/4 gal of restore. ThermStat should be back in.
5) Drive at highway speeds for an hour.
6) Repeat steps 1-3 until clear using only distilled water.
7)Once clear, drain and add 3.5 gal of CAT EC 1 coolant. Top off with distilled water.
8) Check deltas. If not within spec, back flush oil cooler.
9) If ECT running high, back flush radiator.
10) If deltas still high, change oil cooler.

Does this sound ok?

My deltas are fine in stop and go traffic, 35-50mph and at idle, even when comming of the highway. But on the highway, at 65-70, they climb to 20-25 difference. Hoping to prevent having to change the cooler. Already have a full egr delete and headstuds done.

Thanks!

Last edited by surfmanrescue; 09-05-2012 at 06:14 PM. Reason: incomplete
Old 09-05-2012, 07:20 PM
Premium Member

Subscribed.......

Sent from my iPad using Autoguide
Old 09-06-2012, 02:17 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfmanrescue View Post
My deltas are fine in stop and go traffic, 35-50mph and at idle, even when comming of the highway. But on the highway, at 65-70, they climb to 20-25 difference. Hoping to prevent having to change the cooler. Already have a full egr delete and headstuds done.
Mine acted the same way, I replaced the cooler. When I got the old cooler out I tried back flushing to see what was clogging it, nothing came out. The flow was too restricted have much effect.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:37 AM

thats not what I wanted to hear, but I am still going to try the flush....by the way, is anyone getting clogged oil coolers after doing the egr delete? I guess maybe so if you are still using the Gold Coolant?
Old 09-06-2012, 10:38 AM

Is it necessary to backflush before the restore and restore +, or is it generally done after the chemical flush? The 6.0 Flush manual led me to believe you do it before and after. Just want to make sure.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.