looking at couple of 6 blows - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2012, 08:01 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
looking at couple of 6 blows

i have been a gm man most of my life but i love the ford bodys and everything about them . i am aware of the known problems with the 6.0s and i am looking at a few but what i dont know is the signs of try to get a good one.ive driven a few 6.0s and i really like em they come up on boost pretty well and make decent power for their size. what should i be looking for when i look at these trucks? if i do get one of these im going to get another motor to build and have on a stand so if the one in it blows up im planning to do studs,egr delete, oil cooler and injectors on the spare motor but what else is needed to make these truck reliable
any help would be appreciated
thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2012, 08:12 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Not trying to be a jerk here or too sensitive....but if you are seeking help by coming to this forum, it probably isn't the best way to do so by "insulting" us by stating "6 blows" in your title.

Anyway, the 6.0 engines are work horses and like any other diesel out there, they require monitoring and maintenance. If you do both, you won't need a stand by motor.

Get yourself a monitoring device when looking at a used rig. This will tell you a lot about the deltas between ECT and EOT and hence the health of your EGR and Oil Coolers. Beyond that, there are a whole hosts of threads on this forum that can help determine the health of a 6.0 truck.

Good luck.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:16 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Here is a thread that was posted just a couple days ago with your same question. Read this thread, be sure to read the attached links in that thread.

New to Forums, buying 6.0 Powerstroke, buyers guide?
Old 09-05-2012, 08:27 AM

i apologize for the title i didnt mean it in a vulgar way it was more of a joking way. ive always been told that even with head studs the 6.0 can lift the heads is there any truth in this ? i would plan to run a tow tune from sct and a new turbo back exhaust system and leave it at that
Old 09-05-2012, 10:48 AM
Turbos = Witchcraft

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by kypowerstroke21 View Post
i apologize for the title i didnt mean it in a vulgar way it was more of a joking way. ive always been told that even with head studs the 6.0 can lift the heads is there any truth in this ? i would plan to run a tow tune from sct and a new turbo back exhaust system and leave it at that
Any engine can lift heads. If the heads are properly machined, and OEM head gaskets are used with the head studs, the odds of lifting the heads are pretty low. Unlike an izusu-max, the stock bottom end of the 6.0 has been proven to hold over 800 hp easily, and guys have ran over 1000 hp using the same ARP head studs and OEM gaskets that we all use. If you delete the EGR, or get a Bulletproof diesel one, and make sure that your oil cooler is healthy (i.e. monitor deltas and use a coolant filter), you should have no problem lifting heads, even tuned.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:54 AM

What they said. I will warn you these aren't 7.3's or 12v's where you can neglect them and they will just go and go. The problems with the 6.0 are a good bargaining tool as well, i got mine with a plugged oil cooler and that knocked a nice chunk off the price.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:57 AM

Quote:
With enough boost, sure they can. How much power are you hoping to make?

With what you just mentioned you are planning on running, you won't have a problem with a studded truck.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooMuch03 View Post
Any engine can lift heads. If the heads are properly machined, and OEM head gaskets are used with the head studs, the odds of lifting the heads are pretty low. Unlike an izusu-max, the stock bottom end of the 6.0 has been proven to hold over 800 hp easily, and guys have ran over 1000 hp using the same ARP head studs and OEM gaskets that we all use. If you delete the EGR, or get a Bulletproof diesel one, and make sure that your oil cooler is healthy (i.e. monitor deltas and use a coolant filter), you Sshould have no problem lifting heads, even tuned.
What are deltas ? And I was planning on just deleting the egr if I get one and just runnin with the stock tty head bolts until the head gasket blew and if it does blow then I'm planning to have a spare motor to replace one that Poped the head gaskets
Old 09-05-2012, 05:03 PM

Quote:
What are deltas ? And I was planning on just deleting the egr if I get one and just runnin with the stock tty head bolts until the head gasket blew and if it does blow then I'm planning to have a spare motor to replace one that Poped the head gaskets
That sure is a lot of planning. Here's some advice. Read.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:20 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
What are deltas ?
The difference between the Engine Coolant Temp (ECT) and Engine Oil Temp (EOT). When someone asks you what your delta is it's the difference between these two temps. They should never be more than 15 degrees apart at 65 mph, unloaded, on a mostly level highway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.