In the market for a 350 Dually.....HELP PLEASE - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2012, 05:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
In the market for a 350 Dually.....HELP PLEASE

I'm in the market for a F 350 between the years of 05-07. I like the 06's overall for some reason. I plan on trading my current car in for this truck next week when I go home for my sisters wedding.

I would like to know what I should be looking out for with this truck? When I'm at the dealership what should I be on the look out for to tell me if I'm going to have any trouble out of that truck? What kind of extended warranty should I be looking for either from the dealer or elsewhere? I'm one to do my homework and I'm award of the problems with the 6.0L motor that Ford offers in these years.

It's one thing to go to different sites and read reviews on this truck, then there is to actually hear about it from the ones who own them. Like I said I'm looking to buy next week in Oklahoma then I'll be driving it back to FL where I live. I want to make sure that first off I'll make it back to FL and secondly that I won't have any real trouble from the truck other then normal maint upkeep i.e. oil/fuel filter/transmission fluid/tires.

Any and all help will be greatly accepted and appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2012, 04:32 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Get a monitor and take it with you on the test drives and check out your EOT and ECT and if they're 15 degrees or more away from each other be aware that you will soon be rebuilding your oil cooler. And once you have the truck do you plan on deleting the EGR?
Old 09-05-2012, 05:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.0f250firstcar View Post
Get a monitor and take it with you on the test drives and check out your EOT and ECT and if they're 15 degrees or more away from each other be aware that you will soon be rebuilding your oil cooler. And once you have the truck do you plan on deleting the EGR?
I'm new to diesel motors and turbos so could you explain alil further what is the ECT and EOT?

Yes I am planning on deleting the EGR. Is it something that I can do myself?

Thanks for your help.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:32 AM

ECT= Engine Coolant Temperature
EOT= Engine Oil Temperature
EGT= Exhaust Gas Temperature

So basically let me run this down for you. The coolant that Ford put in their trucks (Ford Gold Coolant) containes silicates which can't handle the high EGT generated by a heavy load or a hot day and the silicates fall out of suspension and clog up the oil cooler. As the cooler gets more and more clogged your EOT and ECT temps will become furthur apart. The unaware owner doesnt even realize this is happening and keeps driving it this way. The clogged oil cooler restricts coolant flow to the EGR cooler. The EGR needs coolant to cool itself down so once the coolant isnt there anymore, it overheats and ruptures. Once it ruptures, coolant will leak into the combustion chamber and the extremely high temperatures immediately ignite the coolant and it causes very high pressure in the combustion chamber and boom there go your head gaskets. That is the reason so many people write the 6.0 off as a junk motor.

So basically monitoring your ECT and EOT during the test drive will tell you what condition the oil cooler is in. If they are over 15* apart, that means the oil cooler is clogging or has clogged up and will eventually, if not corrected blow your head gaskets.

And to answer your question. yes you can do the EGR delete yourself.

So on your search for a truck, if you find one you like but it has some warning signs that mean your motor could be in imminent danger, just walk away. There are plenty of trucks out there. If you hold out for the truck thats right for you, you'll be much happier in the long run.

Last edited by 6.0f250firstcar; 09-05-2012 at 06:36 AM.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:02 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
You can find your same question posted on this link, be sure to also read the links within these posts.

New to Forums, buying 6.0 Powerstroke, buyers guide?
Old 09-05-2012, 06:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.0f250firstcar View Post
ECT= Engine Coolant Temperature
EOT= Engine Oil Temperature
EGT= Exhaust Gas Temperature

So basically let me run this down for you. The coolant that Ford put in their trucks (Ford Gold Coolant) containes silicates which can't handle the high EGT generated by a heavy load or a hot day and the silicates fall out of suspension and clog up the oil cooler. As the cooler gets more and more clogged your EOT and ECT temps will become furthur apart. The unaware owner doesnt even realize this is happening and keeps driving it this way. The clogged oil cooler restricts coolant flow to the EGR cooler. The EGR needs coolant to cool itself down so once the coolant isnt there anymore, it overheats and ruptures. Once it ruptures, coolant will leak into the combustion chamber and the extremely high temperatures immediately ignite the coolant and it causes very high pressure in the combustion chamber and boom there go your head gaskets. That is the reason so many people write the 6.0 off as a junk motor.

So basically monitoring your ECT and EOT during the test drive will tell you what condition the oil cooler is in. If they are over 15* apart, that means the oil cooler is clogging or has clogged up and will eventually, if not corrected blow your head gaskets.

And to answer your question. yes you can do the EGR delete yourself.

So on your search for a truck, if you find one you like but it has some warning signs that mean your motor could be in imminent danger, just walk away. There are plenty of trucks out there. If you hold out for the truck thats right for you, you'll be much happier in the long run.
Thanks I appreciate the guidance.....
Old 09-05-2012, 07:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilpooh View Post
You can find your same question posted on this link, be sure to also read the links within these posts.

New to Forums, buying 6.0 Powerstroke, buyers guide?
Thanks....there was alot of knowledge in those links. I also like your pic's. I plan on droppin' the truck off with my moms mechanics so that he can go through it. I will bring up this site and let him read those links you provided so that he can get a better understanding of what to look for.

Thanks once again.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:50 AM

Anytime. Any other questions feel free to ask.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

along with the monitor you should get it up to operating temps and give it some WOT runs. Look for any signs of white / grey smoke out of your exhaust. When you take it back to the dealership, open the hood and look for puking from the degas bottle.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:50 PM

I agree with these guys. I will add that if or preferably when you go looking, take a scanguage II and look at the oil and antifreeze temps. Get it up to 190* and then drive for 15min at 65mph. After that see what the difference is, more than 15* with no puking, you have a good bit of bargaining room, if it's puking, well there's either $3000+ for head gaskets or $160 plus your time to do an egr delete. Just assume if it pukes the head gaskets are shot and need replaced. If they'll deal, you'll come out ahead. Otherwise, just walk away.

Oh yeah, the wot a couple times is a good idea as well. Gotta hear the 8 cylinder symphony sing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.