Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Fuel filters

2K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  feroskastroke 
#1 ·
i know i rememeber reading this somewhere on the forum but i spent 15 mins looking and can't seem to locat it again. Anyways how often do most people recommend changing fuel filters, and when you change them do you need to change both or does teh fuel filter on the frame rail only needed changed every other time?

#3 ·
When you change the filter on the frame rail also drain the housing using the 7mm allen plug just in front of the filter. That gets the water (if any) out of the trap.

#4 ·
Actually it is a 6mm hex.

#5 ·
Hi powermoon, my bad. Definitely 6mm but mine is a bit rounded :) The only problem with that plug is that it's nearly blocked by the front drive shaft. I have a 6mm hex bit in 1/4" and another in 3/8" and I couldn't get either in. The hex bit fits but not the ratchet. Luckily I used a 6mm allen key and I had enough room to turn it.

To solve that problem, the last time I replaced my frame rail filter I also installed the updated drain plug. Instead of just the 6mm plug that is flush with the housing it's got a thumb wheel which you can open and close without tools. I bought it from the Ford dealer for about $12.

Regards

#6 ·
Jacks good suggestion about replacing the factory plug with the new one. Did the same thing and makes draining a breeze.

Moon

#8 ·
It took my local Ford dealer 2 weeks to get my new drain plug in. But the good news is that it can be done at anytime. You can do the 2 filters this weekend and then just do the drain plug when it comes in.

#11 · (Edited)
Holleywood, an IH dealer might have one in stock. If the dealer has to order and you want it sooner go to the IH dealer (I think it's cheaper as well). Stroketech, your saying to change every 20,000? Last time I talked to ford tech he said 15k. Has there been a change?

Moon

#12 ·
If you go to the international site and look at the actual engine International recommends changing fuel filters every 20. Thats probly where he got it, but everywhere else i have read says change it every 15. But with the fuel filter i think i will try to run this one 20. You should be able to tell if that is too long of an interval because of lack of fuel running to your engine. But then again some people like to stay on top of their filters. All i know is that 77 dollars ford charges for a motorcraft filter, i think i will try to run mine 20. Powermoon are you saying just go to International and they should have one. Im lucky enough where im located, i have ANY make of a truck,(sterling, Mack, Fretliner, peterbuild, international) they are all located within 1 mile of each other, and they are only 5 miles up the road from me. So maybe i will run by there on my way home from work today. Thanks for the tip!

#13 ·
They should have one or two on hand at least my IH dealer did. I tried to find the part number for the new plug, but I have seemed to lost my source.

Also, buy your fuel filters there as well. Fuel filters should be around $35 and do it yourself. I'm not sure but I think a saw a "write up" on the process in the 6.0 tech files written by Stump. As you can see, ford charges a lot more for the fuel filters and they charge an arm and a leg for the labor. I change my fuel filters a while back and I've never worked on truck or car before. It is fairly easy to do, and take your time.

Moon

#14 ·
#16 ·
Ya, im fairly mechanicly inclined, i do all my brake work, changed springs, pulled starters, replaced head gaskets, i dont see it being a problem, but DAMN i wish i knew i could have got the filters from them for around 35. I just got a gift card for a ford dealer with 100 dollars on it so i figured i would use it to get all new filters all the way around for my truck. Then when i just had him pull the fuel and oil filters the total was 115. I about sh&t a brick!. But when i called international today the guy said they dont even offer any parts like the drain plug but i will have to go in because i think he might have had a few too many beers on his lunch break. International is only a stones throw away deff going to take advantage of there better prices in the future. Thanks for all the info, going to save alot of time and money in the future.

#21 ·
Yeah, but when you can get Motorcraft for about the same price, I'd just assume use OEM parts. Autozone has the fuel filters, but they're some brand I've never heard of, and they cost more than Motorcraft on ebay. Just the fuel filters themselves are about 40 bucks shipped on ebay. I just needed all the filters since I just got the truck and have no idea the last time they were changed. It was easier to get them all in a bundle.

Another example is the air filter It's 70 bucks in walmart for Fram, and you can get the Motorcraft for $50 shipped on ebay.

#23 ·
For those wondering here's the International part numbers.
International part

HFCM water separator drn plg upgd #: 2589259C91

Fuel filter #1847170C92 or(C93), includes the frame mounted filter w/Aquabloc and the engine mounted filter, plus o-rings

Oil Filter #1840752C91, includes one filter, one o-ring

#24 ·
you cant go wrong with just getting the vehicle serviced according to the manufacturer, i just bought my 07 F250 PSD in Nov 06 and i take it to the dealer for all the scheduled servicing even oil changes i know that it cost a little more but they also do all the courtesy inspections and i keep all the paperwork and get the dealer verification code and stamp put in the book, that way if anything happens to the truck while still under warranty no punks at the dealership can tell me some crap that it was my fault, just keeping the firepower stocked in case something crazy happens. i had my fuel filters changed and oil done and it sodt me a little over $200 and the truck started getting better mileage after about 50miles more every tank.:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.