Oil Cooler Issues? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2012, 08:18 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil Cooler Issues?

So, I bought my 2005 Ford F250 FX4 a couple of months ago (83K miles) from a dealer, mainly because when I looked under the hood, I noticed the headstuds and egr removal/delete were already done. So I assumed the oil cooler was done also. Well, I finally got the ability to monitor my EOT/ECT and am seeing a diff of 25-30 degrees on the flat highway at 65mph (ECT-190-192 and EOT 220-222). Would someone do all this (studs and delete) without doing the oil cooler?

I guess I need an oil cooler, right? Any possiblity a real good flush with restore might fix this? If working on the oil cooler is the answer, do I do a rebuild kit or by a whole new one? What brand do you guys recommend.

Truck runs real good. Was having a problem with stiction, but Archoil fixed that.

Thanks for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2012, 08:29 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Once the oil cooler is clogged, nothing chemically is gonna clear it. You need a new oil cooler.

Just buy the rebuild oil cooler kit, only use OEM. Only one company make a OEM style oil cooler with larger coolant passages, but it has shown to have higher EOT because the coolant passages are too big and don't allow significant heat transfer.

In this link, the first post, you will find info along with PDF's of oil cooler replacement.
Oil cooler and EGR cooler service PDF files and notes
Old 09-01-2012, 08:34 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluedemon6.0
You can try a flush. There is a really good write up. Do you have cat elc? If you have gold you probably pluged the oil cooler.
I would do a restore flush if you have gold or green. Only use the restore plus if you are planning to change your oil cooler.
Check out you tube for a video of 6.0. Flush. Good luck.
Oe oil cooler is what I have but I want a bullet proof oil cooler. To much $$ for me.
Old 09-01-2012, 08:49 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
With a 25-30* delta, flushing or even back flushing is NOT gonna help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.