New to me 2006 6.0 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2012, 01:19 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New to me 2006 6.0

Hey guys, I just bought a 2006 f350 single rear wheel 4 door auto last week. I had a 7.3 at one time and loved it but now moved up to this. Doing EGR delete and fuel pressure upgraded spring next week, did a leveling kit and 4'' turbo back exhaust this week. I just have a few questions for you guys. After purchasing it I kinda noticed a few things. From a dead stop the tranny shifts 5 times which would that make it a 6 speed auto? Also, with no trailer or any type of load going up hill or just accelerating after say 60 mph the whole truck kinda jumps. Like the rear end is going over a bunch of small speed bumps. One more thing, after around 40 mph or so you can hear a noise in the rear of the truck. Not a whining or howling. Cant really explain the noise, kinda like a steady errrrrrr lol. The noise goes away when you let off the throttle. Not sure if this is in the right section or not, sorry if it is. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2012, 01:26 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
it should only shift that many times on a cold engine... because when the engine is cold it engages 3rd gear and over drive at the same time. however it is technically only a 5 speed and once the engine is warm it should only shift 4 times. the errrrr noise is exhaust drone. and im not sure why the truck jumps or feels like speed bumps... doesnt seem normal.

anyways congrats on the new truck hopefully its a good one for ya
Old 09-01-2012, 01:33 PM

Well it shifts 5 times wheather the engine is cold or normal temp. The noise doesnt change with the rpm of the motor or the turbo PSI but will change with speed. More of a lower pitch sound at around 60, geting a higher pitch at around 70-75. Seems to me to be in the rear end or drive shaft.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:36 PM

Ive seen some different posts, quite a few actually about the jumping of the truck. Some people say its the FICM, some say injectors, some the axle wrap, some the tires are bad, and so on and on. If I hit a hill at 70 and keep it there, there wont be any jumping at all, but hit it at 60 and try to get to 70 the speed bumps kick in.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:37 PM
Premium Member

ahhh i was thinking it was with your 4 inch exhaust. your rear end may be going out... check the fluid in there if anything. or maybe the trans is going... check both and check it for codes the computer might even have an answer for you. lol just check everything...
Old 09-01-2012, 01:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

The shuddering sounds like the torque converter is slipping when in lockup and trying to accelerate.

Jason
Old 09-01-2012, 01:40 PM

Ok, ill have it checked for codes tonight. Ill post the outcome later. Thanks!
Old 09-01-2012, 01:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Does the jumping go away after it is warmed up? What gears does it jump in?
Old 09-01-2012, 01:44 PM
Premium Member

i thought about the torque converter too. to test the torque converter. test it in several gears. youll tell when it locks and unlocks cause your rpms will drop. it unlocks after the load comes off the engine in each gear feel for shuddering in each one. once you stop accelerating and drop to a steady speed in each gear the torque converter will unlock. watch the rpms while you do this so you know when it locks and unlocks.
Old 09-01-2012, 02:21 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by clark7.3 View Post
Hey guys, I just bought a 2006 f350 single rear wheel 4 door auto last week. I had a 7.3 at one time and loved it but now moved up to this. Doing EGR delete and fuel pressure upgraded spring next week, did a leveling kit and 4'' turbo back exhaust this week. I just have a few questions for you guys. After purchasing it I kinda noticed a few things. From a dead stop the tranny shifts 5 times which would that make it a 6 speed auto? Also, with no trailer or any type of load going up hill or just accelerating after say 60 mph the whole truck kinda jumps. Like the rear end is going over a bunch of small speed bumps. One more thing, after around 40 mph or so you can hear a noise in the rear of the truck. Not a whining or howling. Cant really explain the noise, kinda like a steady errrrrrr lol. The noise goes away when you let off the throttle. Not sure if this is in the right section or not, sorry if it is. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!!
The Torqueshift has 6 gears, but only used 5. Depending on the temp, In “cold mode” (under 5 deg. F.) the unit shifts 1-2-3-4-6. In “hot mode” (over 5 deg. F.) the unit shifts 1-2-3-5-6 with torque converter clutch.

http://www.trucktransdiag.com/downlo...nical-info.pdf

Your gonna have to start trouble shooting your "speed bump" " noise". Check your u-joints, carrier bearing. When was the last time your trans and rear been serviced? Could be the clutches in the rear are shot, could be no fluid caused by a damaged pinion seal. You will need to visually inspect the pinion/ring for damage.

Do you have a monitor solution for the motor/trans? Have you pulled any trans codes with a good scan tool?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.