Flushing the 6.0L, final words of advice? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2012, 05:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Flushing the 6.0L, final words of advice?

I've read extensively on this and other sites, downloaded the how to and watch some video. I'm as ready as possible. Any words of advice or info about issues you might tell me before I start turning wrenches? I couldn't find the Cat ELC, but I found the ZEREX HD ELC (rated for CAT EC1). Bought a new thermostat, Coolant filter, Restore & Restore +, two FOMOTO valves, and gathering up my tools.

My truck had a new EGR and Oil Cooler installed about 10K miles ago. New Turbo 1k miles ago. The Ford Tech stated I need to get the Gold Coolant out ASAP while my coolers are still in good shape.

With all the run time needed while doing the flushing, do you typically just let the truck idle in the driveway? Or run errands etc with it?

Do you leave the FOMOTO valves installed when you are done or do you put the plugs back in? Best place to buy new plugs? NAPA didn't have a listing for them.

Best place to dispose of the old coolant?

Thanks for all of your help,

Joe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2012, 08:40 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
It takes too long to build up heat on the driveway, you can idle it for day's and not get hot enough.

Leave the Fomoto valves in EVERY drain location and personally I'd pull the starter to put a Fomoto valve in that drain plug location if there isnt one there now because this is not the last flush you will ever do.

The used coolant you can take to a local shop which may charge you a small fee for doing it. I know some shops will dispose of it for free if you are a regular customer and if they say no just hint that you can take your truck elsewhere for servicing.

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app
Old 09-01-2012, 09:22 AM
NOT a Democrat

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
Drain every valve you can. I never take starter out, I just flush a lot. I see some guys only flushing with distilled water. That is a waste and not even smart. I probably ran about 100 gallons of tap water thu my motor. Only use distilled your last few flushes. I think I did 3 full distilled flushes at the end.

Advice:
1. make sure you have everything
2. take no short cuts (like leaving thermostat in)
3. make sure you dont have 50/50 coolant. this is only good for top off
4. sure drive around. you want to be at operating temp. I sent shopping, running errands. even hit a bar for two beers and some wings while my truck ran outside (friends bar and no one would touch my truck round here )
5. set aside your entire day. the job is SOOOO easy but takes a lot of time.
6. dont polute. make sure you get your old coolant and contamianted chemical water to the correct source.
7. dont be afraid of the red! I have now done about 6 6L flushes and elc flips, all 100% success.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Ok, I'm 1/2 way through the process. I drained the system, pulled and installed the FOMOTO valve on the drivers side block, reverse flushed the radiator, pulled the thermostat and reverse flushed the heater core. I put everything back together and ran the truck up to temp while I cleaned up for the night. I will flush the water tomorrow and then start with the Restore and restore + flushes. I still have a few more questions.

Do you typically reverse flush the oil cooler? If so, how do you get that cover off? I have the Torx30 socket but I'm not sure how I could actually get a ratchet on it. Anybody have a list of the tools or do I need any special tools for it? Do I really need to do this reverse flush?

I pulled the thermostat and it was a massive pain in the a$$. One of the bolts is blocked by a fuel line and I didn't want to remove it. All I could get on it was a small 10mm hand wrench. Are there any special tools that can get to this bolt? Or is it ok to take off the fuel line? If so, what is the size of that fitting? Bigger than a 19mm I already discovered

How the heck do you get that starter out to get that passenger side drain plug out? I was feeling around and couldn't find the top bolt? There are 3 right? Is it really worth pulling that plug or can I just do several more flushes instead?

While the truck was running there was a small drip coming from the lower radiator hose. I traced it up the hose and it appeared to be coming from or very near the bottom of the thermostat. I'm guessing I did't get it tight enough or the hose clamp at the thermostat isn't tight. It was a pain to get back on there.

As always, I appreciate your advice and helpful hints.

Joe
Old 09-03-2012, 09:30 AM
NOT a Democrat

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
I would just do the rad flush. I never reverse flush on these trucks (do on my old cars but that different for the heater core bla bla). Just do as the directions say, you will be fine.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Why is the gold antifreeze bad? I had green in mine and flush it all out and put gold and distilled water and now I am hearing bad things about gold so what is the best and where can I get it?
Old 09-03-2012, 05:32 PM

What size or part number for the Fomoto valves to put on both side of the block?
Old 09-03-2012, 05:36 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
F-108n if you want the nipples on them for hoses to drain into a bucket or what not. Just F-108 if you don't care where the coolant spills.

If you think that flushing the coolant is difficult then you should see what I'm going through right now lol.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Headviking, I was going to respond but was distracted by your avatar

I got the valves with the nipples so I could do as the write-up suggested and attach a hose so I could collect the bad stuff. Pulling the starter was not as bad as I thought but the valve and the starter are nearly touching (I think mine does) after you put it back in.

I finished with the Restore and Restore+ today. So far I haven't seen any evidence of casting sand, brown or rusty debris or anything else in my collection buckets?? I've been using hot water and even reversed flushed the radiator again. So far everything is very clean to begin with. My guess is that when Ford put the new EGR cooler in about 10K miles ago, they must of done some cleaning?? Any thoughts on this?

Based on what I found so far, I'm going to skip the backflush of the Oil cooler. Tomorrow I'm going to dump out the tap water and begin flushing with the distilled water, then put the thermostat back in and fill up with the HD ELC and more distilled. My coolant filter kit should arrive Wednesday and I'll be installing that as well.

I'm planning to remove the hose from the FOMOTO valves but leave them in place unless I need to remove them. Will they be ok being left in the block? I found a deep well 17mm socket can be used to tighten them in place.

Thanks for your help.

Joe
Old 09-04-2012, 03:16 AM

Could someone elaborate on the reverse flushing. Months ago I did a flush, I think I clogged my oil cooler during the flushing process because a couple weeks later my head gaskets were blown, and I had ARP's installed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.