Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Occasional grayish smoke on start up?

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  03XL6.0 
#1 ·
I have had my truck for a little over 2 months now, and every now and then. on fist start up the truck with smoke a kinda grayish/white/black smoke and it cracks for about 3-5 seconds before starting.

I know that really white smoke is bad and is a sign of a bad HG but all my temps are good on my SG2 and i have no puking or any other sign or blown HG.

Is this normal? I am about 600 miles over due for an oil change and i will be going to rotella tomorrow and getting some.

thanks

#2 ·
I've got a little bluish smoke on first start too. It's only started doing it in the last 3 or 4 months. It's not normal but so far I don't know what it is. My oil levels haven't moved (not that the dipstick tells me anyway) and I have no codes. My suspicion is the right side glow plug harness. I have am oil leak from the back end of the harness and from my reading and research the blue smoke I'm seeing is unburnt fuel, most likely from a glow plug issue.

I'm thinking I'll replace the harness and see where that takes me.

For your problem... cranking 3-5 seconds seems long to me, 2 is the longest mine will take. What are your FICM readings? Under 46v at any time and the FICM needs to be fixed. Also have the batteries load tested if you haven't already. Once those two are cleared as causes start looking for something else.

#3 ·
OP, load test your batteries, the google ficm check procedure. Fisher you should suspect oil burning when you see blue smoke, turbo seal.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.

#4 ·
That was my first thought but then through reading I was lead to believe that the smoke I was seeing was most likely unburnt fuel. I do have a leak from my right side glow plug harness and my research/reading has pointed to glow plug issues resulting in unburnt fuel on a cold start. That is the only time I see the smoke, first start of the day, once there's some heat in the motor I get nothing.

I'm hoping to do oil, lube and filter this weekend and give her the "once over", what's the best way for me to check the turbo bearing?

OP, sorry for the hijack! :(

#5 ·
My understanding is, some movement up/down, side/side without touching the sides of the housing obviously is ok. Movement front to back is not good. Unburnt fuel is white, glow plugs in warm weather are a non issue. Worn valve stem guides and a cracked ring could allow oil into the cylinder also iirc. Cleaning your cac out may stop the blue smoke.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.

#6 ·
My ficm voltage has never dropped below 47.5 even while cracking.

Batt voltage never drops below 11.3v even while cracking.

I'll load test this weekend

Just hoping its not the start of the end

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.