MBRP S6206P 4" Turbo Back install question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2012, 02:54 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
MBRP S6206P 4" Turbo Back install question

So I have an MBRP 4" turbo back coming in the mail. Yay! I noticed in the picture that it appears to have a one piece downpipe. Is there anything special I need to do to remove the old one and install the new one? I don't own a lift and was wondering if it's easy to install from the bottom up if the truck is sitting on the ground, or would jacking it up a bit help? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2012, 04:14 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
When we did mine, we managed to pull the stock down pipe out from the top. It was difficult and took some time, but we did it. When I installed the new down pipe, I went from the bottom up. This was done on a stock f350 with the truck sitting on the ground. Hope this helps!
Old 08-29-2012, 04:16 PM

Cool I'm glad it's doable without a lift.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:19 AM

Got it in today, thanks for the tips! It sounds great!
Old 09-06-2012, 08:28 AM

I cut my old down pipe in half to get it out. As for the new one - I'd say an extra pair of hands. I laid under the truck pushing the pipe up while my dad got it on the turbo and band clamped...
Old 09-06-2012, 02:03 PM

I did mine on the ground by myself last week (MBRP straight pipe turbo back). You will need to drop the old downpipe as far as you can and then cut it at the bend with a sawzall. After that it's all smooth until connecting the new downpipe to the turbo. THAT was a pain in the ***.

The problem if you're doing it alone is you need one hand to hold the downpipe in place and the other to get the clamp over it. Then you need your 3rd hand to tighten the clamp. Now if you find yourself like me, you may not have a 3rd hand. Here's how I solved that. Instead of removing the bolt from the nut on the clamp, loosen it almost to the point the nut comes off, but not further. Open the clamp by removing the bolt head from the other side of the clamp. Use your left hand to hold the downpipe while using your right to situate the open clamp into position. Once you have it in position, squeeze it with your right hand and try to get the bolthead to drop back into the intended slot in the clamp. Once it does you will likely have just enough tension where the clamp will hold the downpipe in place well enough for you to let go and grab your socket wrench to tighten the nut. Make sure you have a deep well socket.

After that the whole installation is gravy.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:43 PM

Awesome tips, I did end up cutting the downpipe and a few other places with my sawzall. I used some wire to hold up the downpipe in place while I clamped it in. It definitely would've been nice just to have a 3rd hand.

I've been driving with my windows down and the radio off the past couple days. lol
Old 12-06-2012, 11:48 AM
Premium Member

Thankyou for the Search function actually working and this post. Doing my MBRP SLM Straight pipe Turboback tonight. freezin my a$$ off im sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.