Would you do a radiator flush if you were me? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2012, 09:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Would you do a radiator flush if you were me?

I bought my truck a few months ago, with 94k miles on it. I got lucky and found one that had already been bullet proofed.

I checked out the recepits that the previous owner gave me, and it looks like it had a BPD EGR cooler and the cheaper BPD oil cooler done sometime in 2010. It must have plugged the replaced oil cooler, because in Sept. 2011, it had the oil cooler replaced again with a stock one, and had ARP head studs and stock gaskets put in it.

It runs great now, and I've been going through and doing the regular preventative maintenance on it, monitoring it, etc.

I want to do the radiator flush with Restore and Restore +, but have read that this will often plug up the oil cooler. I do have a Diesel Site coolant filter that will be going on soon, but I'm wondering I should just drain and refill with Zerex rather than doing the coolant flush and filling with ELC. I'd hate to have to replace the oil cooler again, and was thinking that I'd just wait until my deltas start to increase, if they ever do, and just do it then.

What would you do?

Last edited by jcm3; 08-29-2012 at 11:08 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2012, 10:40 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
To flush the radiator just remove the top hose and bottom hose and plug the bottom outlet of the radiator and fill the radiator with your hose and then pull the plug on the bottom letting the water all rush out. Do that a couple of times then reverse that, this will be more difficult as you will have to find something to use to plug the hole around the hose at the bottom to reverse flush the radiator but it works wonders.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:30 AM
War is the answer!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Flushing the radiator wouldn't be an issue. If out were doing the whole system then you could worry about it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 08-29-2012, 03:52 AM

If you just flush the radiator and fill with ELC then its going to be mixed with whatever was previously in there down in the block correct?
So if you want to swap to ELC you have to do the full flush?
Im in the same boat, wanna swap to ELC but don't wanna clog my oil cooler...
Old 08-29-2012, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcris View Post
If you just flush the radiator and fill with ELC then its going to be mixed with whatever was previously in there down in the block correct?
So if you want to swap to ELC you have to do the full flush?
Im in the same boat, wanna swap to ELC but don't wanna clog my oil cooler...
Yep, that's my dilema. Should I just flush and fill with Zerex (Gold), or do the Restore and Restore+ flush job and risk clogging my cooler.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:26 AM
War is the answer!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
You should put in a coolant filter first and then flush.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 08-29-2012, 07:14 AM

When i switched to ELC i did a flush with VC9. 30,000 miles later my deltas are still fine. I was also worried about clogging my oil cooler.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04hdfatboy View Post
When i switched to ELC i did a flush with VC9. 30,000 miles later my deltas are still fine. I was also worried about clogging my oil cooler.
Your killin me haha, making my decision extremely difficult. So far I only know for a fact that I am installing my PMM coolant filter this weekend and gonna see what that looks like after 500 miles.
Then I will probably take the risk of flushing and if it clogs I can at least try to reverse flush before all is lost and replacement is the only option.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcris View Post
Your killin me haha, making my decision extremely difficult. So far I only know for a fact that I am installing my PMM coolant filter this weekend and gonna see what that looks like after 500 miles.
Then I will probably take the risk of flushing and if it clogs I can at least try to reverse flush before all is lost and replacement is the only option.
If you dont want to do a chemical flush you could flush a bunch of times with distilled water and then add elc.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04hdfatboy View Post
If you dont want to do a chemical flush you could flush a bunch of times with distilled water and then add elc.
This is what I think that I am going to do.
My deltas are right on and I have had a coolant filter on for about 2 years/30k miles.
I think that I will just run the ELC for maybe 2 years and then change it again and I think it will be all set then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.