questions about running fuel & oil additives at the same time - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2012, 06:04 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
questions about running fuel & oil additives at the same time

Hey everyone I'm new to the site. I just recently sold my '05 duramax with built tranny, efi, fass lift pump, 9" cognito, with 20's and 37's due to a financial hardship and purchased a 2006 F250 4x4 lariat with 187,xxx miles. I picked it up from a local ford mechanic fairly cheap. Well when i test drove the truck it was already up to operating temp so it didn't appear to have any problems. Here it is on day two I have a semi hard start in the morning after letting it sit over night and a miss for the first mile or two driving 65 MPH or about 10 miles of driving in the city. Called the mechanic and he told me that it recently started after filling up with offroad diesel from a country store and that it was just a little water in the fuel. I'm not so sure I believe him. ANYWAYS... It is due for a oil change so tomorrow I am going to change the oil to valvoline premium blue 5w40 with a MC filter, upper fuel filter, and water seperator. However I have a few questions. My first question is: will I have any problems or need to flush the system since the truck has only had MotorCraft 15w40 it's entire life? Secondly, I am going to order some Rev-x tommorrow can I just add it when it comes in or do I need to make sure that I deduct the 8 oz from the total amount of oil I add? And lastly can I run Diesel Kleen to take out any water that may be in the fuel in conjunction with the Rev-x?

Thank you for any future guidance.
Jonathan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2012, 06:07 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Once you add fuel additive, it will let the water mix in your fuel and make it combustible, once you run it fully, drain your fuel pump on the chassis and put a new filter in it, it will not have any water in it then

Now since you said it was a new truck, check the ficm, make sure it doesn't drop below 46v during the injector buzz test, cranking and running. If it does, replace it and that might solve your problem.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:31 PM

*48V
sounds like stiction to me. RevX should help.
But checking the FICM and injectors is highly recommended
Old 08-26-2012, 06:35 PM
War is the answer!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
It does not make water combustible

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 08-26-2012, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRobenator View Post
Once you add fuel additive, it will let the water mix in your fuel and make it combustible, once you run it fully, drain your fuel pump on the chassis and put a new filter in it, it will not have any water in it then

Now since you said it was a new truck, check the ficm, make sure it doesn't drop below 46v during the injector buzz test, cranking and running. If it does, replace it and that might solve your problem.
I am illiterate to working on my own trucks, but I am trying to learn. Mainly because all of my friends with 6.0's say it is almost manditory to learn to work on them yourslf if you own one. Is there a thread I could read that explains how to test your FICM. I have read about them dropping below 48v and it will act as if the injectors are going bad. If it needs to be replaced would you all recomend replacing it with a OEM one from Ford or would you upgrade it with one from bulletproof?
Old 08-26-2012, 06:55 PM

a dying FICM can also take injectors with it. easiest way to test is to read the voltage from your monitor(insight cts, etc)
Old 08-26-2012, 07:23 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by atvrider93 View Post
a dying FICM can also take injectors with it. easiest way to test is to read the voltage from your monitor(insight cts, etc)
Load test batteries, google ficm check procedure. I suspect this has nothing to do with bad fuel. If you had water in your fuel your water in fuel light would come on, more than likely. That mechanic is jerkin your chain. Make sure you have motorcraft filters and caps. You dont need to do anything special with the oil change, dump the old put in the new. You should invest in a monitor like edge insight cts. Read all the stickies.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRobenator View Post

Fuel additives come in EMULSIFERS and DEMULSIFIERS. One will make water miscible and CAN pass through the primary fuel filter more easily. This is not good. Ford ONLY recommends demuslifiers. They make the water more immiscible so the water can be more easily removed by the primary filter.

OP -

+1 on gauges, Edge Insight CTS or a ScanGaugeII (which is much cheaper but not nearly as fancy).

Last edited by bismic; 08-27-2012 at 02:37 AM.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:14 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Water in your fuel will not clear up after the truck warms up. Your problem could be FICM related or stiction. The Rev-X and oil should fix that if the injectors aren't too far gone. If it is FICM related also have your batteries and alternator checked. If you need a FICM the best replacement is the BPD half shell. A cheaper solution is to send your FICM to Ed at ficmrepair dot com and have him repair yours.

There is a procedure for checking FICM voltage in the 6.0 Tech Files section.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGreenSVT View Post
Water in your fuel will not clear up after the truck warms up. Your problem could be FICM related or stiction. The Rev-X and oil should fix that if the injectors aren't too far gone. If it is FICM related also have your batteries and alternator checked. If you need a FICM the best replacement is the BPD half shell. A cheaper solution is to send your FICM to Ed at ficmrepair dot com and have him repair yours.

There is a procedure for checking FICM voltage in the 6.0 Tech Files section.
Thanks I found the write up on checking the FICM. I pray that rev-x and oil will clear up the problem. But I am going to check everything over today. Does anyone see any problems with using 5w40 full synthetic in lower alabama? The temps outside have been 60's at night and high 80's low 90's during the day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.