Turbo guidance needed - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2012, 06:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Turbo guidance needed

Have a stock '07 F250 6.0 with BPD oil cooler installed. Truck has 109k miles on it.

Started it up the other day and it threw a P0299 turbo underboost DTC (Love my CTS!)

Took the truck out and hammered it as hard as possible on a 20 mile loop. Initially turbo was only getting up to 12lbs boost, but by the end of the trip was hitting 24 - 26.

Now when rolling along at 70mph the turbo sits at 0lbs boost (per dash & CTS guages). Under slight acceleration to maintain speed it'll come up to 1 or 2lbs. It will hit mid 20's under hard acceleration, but it seems like it just doesn't want to spin up unless I demand it ;-)

I'm guessing this means my turbo is on it's last legs?

Worth reconditioning or should I just replace it with 100k miles on it?

For a stock motor is the garrett GT3788VA the best unit to install? I'm looking for reliability, not performance.

tia!
-dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2012, 06:55 AM
The Silent Service

You're turbo could be going out by a few different things. I would first verify that you don't have a boost leak of any type.

You have an '07, so I would avoid a Pmax at this point due to the need to dial in tuning.

What I would recommend for an upgrade is MTW Stage 1 (formerly the Durastroke). Excellent drop in replacement turbo for those not seeking performance gains, good improvement of response and fuel mileage. For reliability, these are being used hard by a trucking outfit in TX, with 30K on their Durastroke - zero issues, and they use the trucks to tow full DOT weights most of the time.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:18 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

i would consider pulling the turbo and pull it apart and check and see if its sticking before just buying a turbo,may be fine with a good cleaning,and inspection
Old 08-26-2012, 07:45 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

sounds like the vanes are sticking. i would pull the vgt solenoid first and check the tip to see if its coked up, if it is clean it.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:45 AM
The Silent Service

I forgot to mention the cleaning and operational checks first, in my initial post, along with the boost and exhaust leaks.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thx guys! Not sure it helps any, but according to the CTS VGT%, it idles at ~75%. When driving 45mph - 65mph it varies from 55% - 65% with boost varying from 0 - 6lbs and under wot (on an incline from a standing start) I got 34% VGT and 27lbs boost.

Anything else I can look at in the CTS to help troubleshoot this, or just tear into the turbo and start cleaning?

Is there a technique to check for exhaust leaks? I can't imagine I could hear a leak with all the other racket going on under the hood...

-d
Old 08-26-2012, 08:38 PM

when the up pipe bellows crack the leak is pretty noticable. at first it will be a high pitch whistle, the more they crack the noise turns into a big hissing sound.

75% at idle is a little high. an egr valve that is stuck open or opening to far can cause boost problems and high vgt percentage.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thx sicks-o - I don't have any abnormal sounds that I can detect - nothing like hissing or whistling. Would it be present at idle or do I need someone in the cab givin her some throttle while I listen outside? Sounds like a really dumb question...

I replaced my EGR valve when I installed the BPD kit about 4k miles ago - doesn't mean it couldn't have gone bad in me I guess.

thx again for your help,
-d

Last edited by oldbuck; 08-26-2012 at 08:44 PM. Reason: fixed some typos
Old 08-26-2012, 11:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Digging around putting together a parts list to clean my turbo - Am I on the right track here?

Qty 1 - 03-07 Ford 6.0L Powerstroke Diesel Turbo Re-Install Hardware Kit from Ford Motor Company [3C3Z-9T514-AJ]

Qty 2 - 3M/2 in. grinding sanding and finishing kit (03050NA) | | AutoZone.com (use one arbor @ 2", grind the 2nd arbor down to <1")

Instructions: DTS Articles - Turbocharger Reconditioning
Old 08-27-2012, 05:53 AM

the hardware kit is good to have. that 3m kit may be a little to big in diameter to clean the turbine housing. i recommend a wire wheel you can use on a high speed drill or die grinder.
Attached Thumbnails
Turbo guidance needed-turbo.jpg   Turbo guidance needed-turbo2.jpg   Turbo guidance needed-turbo-3.jpg   Turbo guidance needed-turbo-4.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
turbo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.