Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Possible problem with Turbo

646 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Bluzman61 
#1 ·
Pleae pardon me for coming on to your board and asking questions all at once, but I'm really in need of some direction here.

I recently purchased a 2003 F-350 with a 6.0 Powerstroke. It ran just fine when I bought it and is still running fine (albeit at only 13 mpg), however, I'm no longer hearing the turbo spool up when accelerating from a stop (or anytime else for that matter).

The sound of a turbo spooling up, especially on these engines, is unmistakable, and it's obvious to me the turbo isn't functioning as it should (or so it seems). I drove a dump truck for the county for a long time so know the thing should spool and whine whenever you "put your foot in it", but this is not the case here anymore.

Background: when I first bought the truck everything sounded normal, but the first time I took it out to the lake (air conditioner not running) I noticed the missing turbo sound. The next day the turbo began kicking in again, but only when starting up from a dead stop. Now, about 2 months later, I'm not getting a turbo sound even when starting from a dead stop and the air conditioner running. In short, what has been an intermittent issue has become chronic.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this and what the remedies might be? I'm going to take her into a Ford dealer here in Tulsa to get her looked at, but it will be at the end of September when I finally start getting my head back above water after spending about 2 weeks in the hospital last month. Any ideas, and especially, do you think it will be safe to drive until I can get it fixed?

Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't really know much about these trucks but understand the turbo can stick. But I'm guessing youve stomped it and ran it full throttle to try and clean it out?

#3 ·
if your turbo isnt working then u would have no power what so ever. when i work on them and theres a boost leak so the engine isnt getting any boost they are so gutless they wont even climb a hill and they smoke alot to and i mean alot of black smoke especially under wide open throttle

#4 ·
I did that yesterday with no effect. This may all be my fault as I've been driving like a granny (as I usually do) and as I understand you need to "get on it" every once in awhile to keep all the deposits from building up.

On the plus side though I just spoke with one of the diesel mechanics at a local Ford dealership here in town and am taking it in next week to have it totally gone through from radiator to exhaust for only $150! I bought the truck at a used car lot instead of at a dealership, so needed to have this done anyway. The mechanic told me that if it was running ok now it should be ok to drive for another week even if the turbo is frozen, but that I'd not be getting as much power out of it as I could if everything was working.

I appreciate your help! Thanks!!!

#5 ·
WOW! Thanks!!! I'm getting no smoke and haven't noticed any major, if any, drop in power. Maybe I'm just getting used to the sound of the turbo? In any case I'm taking her into the dealership next week for a physical, so I'll be finding out!

Thanks so much for the info!!! Made me a lot less nervous!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.