On my drive back to Chico....fwiw - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2007, 07:01 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
On my drive back to Chico....fwiw

On my way back to Chico from Morgan Hill today (about 210 miles) I decided to see what some call the "lie-o-meter" had to say about what my mileage is. I had my dirtbike in the back and my dog in her crate so I wasn't empty but I wasn't loaded up with much either. I filled up before I left and had gone about 40 miles into my trip before I decided to reset the overhead computer. I was cruising at 65mph when I reset it and it immediately read at 19.2 then started dropping and settled at 17.5....until I started drafting behind an 18 wheeler that was going 55mph.(law in california) I was probably about 15ft behind him and felt like a granny but saw that my average miles per gallon were increasing on the "lie-o-meter". In about 30 miles it went from 17.5 all the way to.....21.1. I took a pic but it did not come out. damn leaf sprung truck. I had to stop at the tolls and it dropped to 19.5 after I took off. After that I continued to draft and drive like a granny and it got as high as 20.5 before eventually settling at 20.0 miles per gallon by the time I got off on my exit. One thing I did notice is that the milespergallon would climb if I was drafting and going 55mph but if I was drafting behind a truck doing 60mph they wouldn't climb and eventually dropped .2mpg until I started going 55mph again and it went back up .2mpg. As it says on the title of the thread this is a take it For What It's Worth thread. I'm not sure how accurate the overhead computer is but I don't call it a "lie-o-meter" and probably trust it more than most based on a post I read by bowtiehatr over on tdg.com a while ago. It made a lot of sense and he's a tech...so yeah. lol Now, for those of you that are interested in that "hand calculated" version I went through less then half a tank and went 210 miles. I don't think the truck had 29 gallons in it but it was "full". I doubt I got 20mpg but I like to think I got around 18mpg drafting those big rigs. After getting off the freeway there were a bunch of stop signs and taking off from a dead stop and by the time I got home it ended up at 19.2mpg. thanks for reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2007, 08:24 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
a friend of mine has an 06 F350 dually and he says that his "lie-o-meter" is dead nuts accurate everytime he checks his mileage.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:24 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Blue01F250 Send a message via Yahoo to Blue01F250
haha -- thats awesome man! I did that one day and was in a construction zone for 10-15 miles... reset my computer and it was reading 25 MPG @ 50 MPH!!!

Just shows ya if you are willing to slow it down, you will get some GREAT mileage!

my lie-o-meter is less than 1MPG off when I check it by hand ... good enough for me!
Old 10-15-2007, 09:33 PM

Send a message via MSN to bryan70546 Send a message via Yahoo to bryan70546
yep same results for me to the most I have read on mine is 23.2 mpg on the interstate. with the cruise set on 70 . in the city its get about 15 to 17 .
Old 10-15-2007, 09:33 PM

yea mine is usually fairly close but now with the bigger tires and tune who knows where it stands. I hardly ever go through an entire tank so it makes it hard to know my actual mileage. I honestly think I get somewhere around 18 though. After I filled up today it said 387 to empty and that kinda sucked but when it was on the stock 31's it once read 612 miles to empty and that was nice. haha
Old 10-16-2007, 02:31 PM
Banned

what size tank you got darsey ? i've never gotten over about 350 on a tank, and it's usually only about 310 per tank
Old 10-16-2007, 02:33 PM

29 galllon
Old 10-16-2007, 02:37 PM
Banned

wow, me too. i'm on 35's with a 6" lift and i get 12 MPG usually. with the exception of a few trips on the hiway, all my tanks last between 300-320 miles.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:46 PM

Yeah, I never got why everybody calls it a lie o meter. Mine is usually within two tenths MPG of what I'm actually getting. It's a lot better than the one in my mom's brand new 40k minivan. That one is 2-3 MPG off normally.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:58 PM

how did you reset your computer, mine is waaay off
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.