What Turbo to buy - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-23-2012, 07:37 PM
Premium Member



 

Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,540
Thanks: 3
Thanked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
What Turbo to buy

Have an 06 with 52k miles. Just found out today that i have a another bad turbo. First one was done under warranty this one is on me. I really don't want to stick another stock one in just to have it fail..AGAIN. Question is are there any better ones out there that i can install without having to do a ton of mods or breaking the bank. I am already getting ready to put about 6 grand into it doing a bullet proof oil cooler (egr done about 3k miles ago) ARP head studs along with a resurface and oem head gaskets. I am about ready to torch this thing but its paid for and still cheaper then buying new.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 08-23-2012, 07:49 PM
Premium Member
 

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 356
Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
what went wrong on the turbo? Sticking vanes? Excessive idling and an egr system which u had on previously will cause that, as for a newer turbo without hitting u hard in the wallet, what about a powermax?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 08-23-2012, 08:01 PM
Premium Member



 

Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,540
Thanks: 3
Thanked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i will be getting the full report on the failure in the morning so dont know for sure what failed on it yet. Really no idling to speak of, still have the egr system on it but with the BPD egr cooler. I know nothing about the powermax or pros and cons of any others for that matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 08-23-2012, 10:18 PM
Emergency Services

 

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Cedarville, Ohio
Posts: 445
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I have not used his product yet but it is on my list of upgrades. I would look at Mad Turbo Works. Check out his threads in the performace section. The guys over there can not stop talking about how well his turbo's perform. Worth checking out.

Welcome to Mad Turbo Werks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 08-24-2012, 12:11 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Denton, tx
Posts: 1,364
Thanks: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aretoo View Post
I have not used his product yet but it is on my list of upgrades. I would look at Mad Turbo Works. Check out his threads in the performace section. The guys over there can not stop talking about how well his turbo's perform. Worth checking out.

Welcome to Mad Turbo Werks!!
I'd go with this guy for sure. Great guy and his turbos are putting up solid numbers even on stock trucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 08-24-2012, 04:59 AM
Powerstroke Techie
 

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Sassamansville, Pa
Posts: 9,174
Thanks: 52
Thanked 126 Times in 96 Posts
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by nordstrom View Post
Have an 06 with 52k miles. Just found out today that i have a another bad turbo. First one was done under warranty this one is on me. I really don't want to stick another stock one in just to have it fail..AGAIN. Question is are there any better ones out there that i can install without having to do a ton of mods or breaking the bank. I am already getting ready to put about 6 grand into it doing a bullet proof oil cooler (egr done about 3k miles ago) ARP head studs along with a resurface and oem head gaskets. I am about ready to torch this thing but its paid for and still cheaper then buying new.
Two turbos within 52k miles!! That don't sound right.

What brand air cleaner do you use? What brand oil filter? Do you shut the truck off below 400* EGT? Is this truck daily driven or does it sit for days? Do you drive it easy or do you beat on her once a week? Are you running long above 1300* EGT sustained?


This may be operator error, so buying any VGT may result in the same outcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 08-24-2012, 11:21 AM
Premium Member



 

Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,540
Thanks: 3
Thanked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Run a S & B air filter, oem oil filter with syn oil, i have a turbo delay that shuts down truck at 380. it does sit for days at a time, i am not hard on it but i do romp on it every time i use it to clean things out and rarely if ever let my EGT get above 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilpooh View Post
Two turbos within 52k miles!! That don't sound right.

What brand air cleaner do you use? What brand oil filter? Do you shut the truck off below 400* EGT? Is this truck daily driven or does it sit for days? Do you drive it easy or do you beat on her once a week? Are you running long above 1300* EGT sustained?


This may be operator error, so buying any VGT may result in the same outcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 08-24-2012, 12:51 PM
Emergency Services

 

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Cedarville, Ohio
Posts: 445
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Why did you have to replace your first turbo? What is specifically wrong with this one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 08-24-2012, 12:56 PM
Premium Member



 

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 16,157
Thanks: 48
Thanked 75 Times in 66 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aretoo View Post
Why did you have to replace your first turbo? What is specifically wrong with this one?



this sounds crazy and I really believe that shop is screwing you over


You know that side to side play is a normal thing to have (if it doesn't hit the sides) But in and out play is bad... Maybe they are telling you that side to side play is bad and thinking youll go for it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 08-24-2012, 01:56 PM
Premium Member



 

Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,540
Thanks: 3
Thanked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
first time was it had rusted up real bad from sitting to much, that was done under warranty. This time they say the unison ring is bad along with the CHRA (sticking impellers) it was diagnosed at a local ford dealer that has a pretty good reputation and knowledgeable techs. They are the largest dealer of trucks in WA or pretty close to it anyways. I am not going to have them do the work however i called and spoke with Adrian from Mad Turbo Works and he was EXTREMELY helpful and didn't try to over sell me, he actually recommended that i go with he least expensive model as he felt it would give me the most bang for my buck,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors