What Bullet Proof kits - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2012, 07:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What Bullet Proof kits

I am about to purchase an EGR delete, Oil Cooler and probably change the head gaskets and am stuck between just using bolts or go for the studs. The truck has been running bad for about a year and has recently gotten to the point where I know I have done more bad than good. I am currently driving the truck daily but after i fix it, it will be a weekend work/trash/hauling truck. Its a 03 6.0 with 190K. Symtoms were rough idle, stalling and heavy white smoke while cold. I changed out the ICP sensor and it fixed the CEL and idle and stall problems. Lately it started smoking all the time and not just during warm up and I have to add 2 gallons of water every day i drive it to work. I am assuming now a gasket has gone. I have seen a few kits that have all of the parts I need to fix the head gaskets, EGR, and oil cooler but I want opinions on who has the best price and best components to go with. I am looking at this one right now but I have read to only reuse the OEM gaskets?

XDP Powerstroke Solution (XDP EGR Delete Kit, Black Onyx Head Gaskets, Oil Cooler and ARP Head Studs & more)

Any help or other ideas would be appreciated. I plan on doing the work myself. Not really looking forward to it. ICP sensor was way easier than I expected from what i heard. Mainly worked on gas engines before so thats why I am hesitant, but I dont have the money to pay someone for this work. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2012, 07:41 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

OEM gaskets, ARP studs, bulletproof diesel egr delete and oil cooler kit, some brand of coolant filter, all the cheap updated parts like standpipes, 6.4 banjos, fpr spring kit, dont forget to the the coolant flush per all the threads BEFORE the oil cooler swap. I wish I would of done all of these the first time around... now I wish I did the bulletproof diesel kit and all the cheap parts just for reassurance. good luck
Old 08-23-2012, 08:01 AM
The Silent Service

First, with adding 2 gallons a day, I'm surprized it hasn't hydrolocked on you already. The issue stems from the EGR cooler. Check the threads in my sig on the details.

Don't go and buy into the marketing of these complete 6.0L solution kits. One, you can piece it out cheaper in some regards, and two, you don't really know what you are getting.

Install the following at least:
-ARP Head Studs
-OEM Head Gaskets (Black Onyx have a higher failure rate - details in my thread)
-New OEM oil cooler (or run the remote mount from IRP, or external air-to-oil from BPD)
-EGR Cooler solution (Upgrade, Block, or Delete)
-New Software
-New Fluids (consider the switch to a silicate-free ELC)
-Update the MY weaknesses listed.

Good Luck, it looks like a lot, but the 6.0L is a manageable motor for the DIY mechanic. Just take your time and be patient.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:37 AM

man I hate to ask...I know what silicate free coolant means, what is ELC?
and what do you mean MY, what is that referencing?
Old 08-23-2012, 09:43 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

extended life coolant. most people recommend CAT or the international ELC EC-1 rated coolant.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by colo_dually View Post
First, with adding 2 gallons a day, I'm surprized it hasn't hydrolocked on you already. The issue stems from the EGR cooler. Check the threads in my sig on the details.

Don't go and buy into the marketing of these complete 6.0L solution kits. One, you can piece it out cheaper in some regards, and two, you don't really know what you are getting.

Install the following at least:
-ARP Head Studs
-OEM Head Gaskets (Black Onyx have a higher failure rate - details in my thread)
-New OEM oil cooler (or run the remote mount from IRP, or external air-to-oil from BPD)
-EGR Cooler solution (Upgrade, Block, or Delete)
-New Software
-New Fluids (consider the switch to a silicate-free ELC)
-Update the MY weaknesses listed.

Good Luck, it looks like a lot, but the 6.0L is a manageable motor for the DIY mechanic. Just take your time and be patient.

I forgot to mention that is has hydrolocked on me twice in the last 2 weeks. Both times were after I filled the degas too much it seemed. I will do some research in these parts. I was hoping that someone has put together a one stop solution but I guess not. I am not familiar with the other fixes being reccomended that arent related to the EGR, Oil Cooler and head gaskets.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:01 PM
The Silent Service

Take the time to read up on the threads here.

If you've hydrolocked the truck (or suspect that you have), you need to stop driving it until you have it fixed.

The issue with the one-stop solutions, is that is dictates what parts are needed, when in fact there are a number of different options. I cover a lot of these in that thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.