Normal range for EOT vs ECT? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2012, 10:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Normal range for EOT vs ECT?

I was getting 16-degree differences when cruising down the highway for long periods, so this weekend I put in a new OEM oil cooler among other things. Tonight on my commute into work my temps settled in with a 9 degree difference. It was about 70-degrees outside, about 70mph, nearly flat freeway. Temps didn't fluctuate for over 20 minutes.

City driving temps have been staying within 4-5 degrees.

So is that a normal delta-T for freeway cruising with a brand oil cooler?

What numbers are you guys seeing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2012, 11:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Looks good. I just put a new cooler and a egr delete in this last weekend also. My delta has been around 5-6 at 65, out side temps around 70 also
Old 08-21-2012, 11:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

that's about what I'm seeing with my truck at 14,xxx miles. 7-9F delta crusing, 4-5F delta around town. 85F ambient

did you flush the system before removing the old cooler?
Old 08-22-2012, 01:34 AM

Yes. Now using CAT EC-1.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:21 AM
The Silent Service

With the truck empty at 65mph, you should see ECT around 190-195* with EOT withing 15* of that at operating temp.

As long as the coolant is upto temp, your deltas look good.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

New here and just got an 07 250 CC SB 4x4 with 213000. I was pulling my 7x12 tool trailer for about an hours drive to a job. Have an edge CS for monitoring and was watching the "delta":

But first I do not think I have read anywhere which should be higher or does it matter?
My EOT was always more than my ECT

1. Seemed to be dead even or a few off under load up an incline
2. Was within 10*, usually 4*,5* to 8* up to 65MPH
3. Was between 10* and 15* mostly 12* and 15* above 65MPH cruising I would say.
4. A few times, it may have been 16* as it changed regularly

Is this normal?
Old 05-11-2013, 09:31 PM

@2feathers. Keep an eye on those deltas your cooler may be getting clogged up imo...
Old 05-12-2013, 06:38 AM
Suck, Squish, Bang, Blow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Feathers) View Post
New here and just got an 07 250 CC SB 4x4 with 213000. I was pulling my 7x12 tool trailer for about an hours drive to a job. Have an edge CS for monitoring and was watching the "delta":

But first I do not think I have read anywhere which should be higher or does it matter?
My EOT was always more than my ECT

1. Seemed to be dead even or a few off under load up an incline
2. Was within 10*, usually 4*,5* to 8* up to 65MPH
3. Was between 10* and 15* mostly 12* and 15* above 65MPH cruising I would say.
4. A few times, it may have been 16* as it changed regularly

Is this normal?
The proper way to check your deltas is with an empty truck (not towing,) doing highway speed (60mph,) on a flat, level highway for a few miles.

Ford says that a 15* delta is within range, but in actuality I'd start to pay closer attention at a 10* delta.

When you are towing, your deltas will be different.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the responses. I will do a test run without towing. I ran the delta test when I bought it and it was not above 10, but I am not sure I got it up to operating temps within the 15 minutes of driving I did. I was told by the small broker shop I bought it from, that the truck was inspected by the most known Powerstroke shop in Denver and it checked out, but I could not get any paperwork from them? Still working on that if it was actually looked at.

Are there any other signs to this other than the delta between EOT and ECT? How about the EGR clogged if not deleted? I assume it has Gold fluid but not sure if you can test it to see what kind?
Old 05-12-2013, 02:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Took for a test run today without the trailer. Let the truck warm up for 10-15 min. Drove about 10-15 minutes to the start of the loop I was taking. Live in CO and so not too many flat stretches. Took about 10 min to get to the flat stretch from starting and the road is up and down until then. The flat stretch was 5 min long and then I turned around and came back to the start, after a short pause of a min to let a few cars go by.

1ST RUN

1. EOT 200 ECT 190 - steady the whole time on level ground for the 5 minutes until I stopped to turn around. On the way back for the 5 min through the flat stretch it was the same 10* delta just at lower temps, EOT 196 and ECT 186. I did climb a couple hills before the flat stretch and did stop a wait a min or so before getting back on the road after turn around, so maybe that had a factor?
2. VGT % Averaged 45
3. FICM 48.0 average
4. Load was average at about 45

2ND RUN:

1. EOT was around 199 & ECT was around 190 - This time the delta changed a few times just before I turned around but was never 10* or greater. Was mostly 8* and then 9* until turning around. Then it was the same thing 8* or 9* but lower again around the same as before, EOT 198 & ECT 189
2. VGT % Averaged 45
3. FICM 48.0 average
4. Load was average at 45

All other terrain on the loop outside of the flat stretch was up and down and 45mph - 65 mph. The delta seemed to hover around 10* or less. Almost even going up hills. There were about 3 times it was above 10* but only 11*, 12* and 14*. 14* was at 45mph and coasting and only for a brief moment. And the two other times it was over, it was only over for a few seconds or maybe a minute at the longest. Like the thermo just opened and it was readjusting?

All in all I would clarify that this was normal operation and nothing to worry about? Any Comments? Again anyone know of other signs to look for in determining if the oil cooler is failing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.