Just did my BPD Semi-Bullet Proof kit - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2012, 12:19 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Just did my BPD Semi-Bullet Proof kit

I just bought myself a ScanGaugeII a couple weeks ago when I learned I should've been watching my FICM voltages and EOT vs ECT temps. This was in addition to the EGT, boost, and Trans temp gauges I added a few years ago.

I was getting a delta-T of 16-degrees, so I started shopping for parts. At 116k miles I was still on my original EGR cooler. It lasted because I had done an EGR block off around 60k miles. I decided to change my EGR cooler out prematurely for a few reasons. First, to get the oil cooler it was coming out anyway. Second, I'm in CA and have to pass smog inspection every two years. I've passed with the block off plate since they can't see it on the visual inspection, but it'd be safer (legal wise) to have a functioning EGR cooler. Third, since the part has such a high failure rate, at 116k miles I'll just feel better with a new one in there.

The BulletProofDiesel fully bullet proof kit was out of my budget, so I ended up with the semi-bullet proof kit, which keeps the factory Oil cooler. From what I've read the Ford coolant was the primary reason for the oil cooler failure, so I made sure to do the coolant flush immediately before tearing the motor down.

I'm not a stranger to wrenching. I do almost all of my own maintenance. Last year I also completed a nut and bolt restoration/build up of a 1966 FJ40, including swapping in a fuel injected V8. That said... this job was a bear! I've been under the Ford extended warranty until now, so the most work I'd ever done on the 6.0L was limited to oil changes, fuel filters, and engine accessory belts... along with a few add-ons like gauges, exhaust, tunes.

In addition to the oil cooler and EGR cooler I tried to get all the other common failure items. The dealer had just done the blue spring fuel regulator mod a couple months ago and the truck already had the updated turbo feed and drain lines from a warrantied turbo replacement.

Admittedly I'm not the fastest turning wrenches, and I'm pretty anal on reassembly, taking the time to clean everything before it goes back together... but this job set me back 35 hrs, not including the coolant flush!

After finishing my coolant flush I pulled it into the garage without coolant and started the teardown. I had found a thread here where a member had PDFs of the International engine manuals, but hadn't been successful getting a copy. Once I was into the teardown I realized I still didn't have the torque specs for reassembly. Doh! Many thanks to Tuscany for coming through for me.

The broken screen wasn't a huge surprise, seems like most of them are... why is that? The surprise was that the Ford tech broke a bolt for the turbo pedestal off in my motor and left it there. I was able to use a chisel and hammer, along with some penetrating oil, to get it to back out without too much effort.

The only other surprise on the teardown was the screen was off the end of the Injector Pressure Regulator IPR and the o-ring was in pieces.

Initially I was going to skip the dummy plugs and stand pipes, but once I tore into it and saw the hours involved, I changed my mind. I couldn't see having to tear this deep into the motor because I had been too busy or cheap to do them now. I was penalized an extra $50 at my local dealer compared to what I would have paid BPD if I had just ordered them from the get go.

I was rewarded with this though... bad o-ring on a dummy plug. Glad its out of my motor.

The intake manifold came pretty clean with parts cleaner, a toothbrush, and a pressure washer. It wasn't too coked up, and was soaked wet with oil.

Here it's coming back together, nice and clean. I forgot to take any pics with the valve covers off. It does look nice with the clean aluminum and black valve covers.

Being a turbo-rookie I felt the shaft play on the turbo and thought it was on its way out. I actually called Adrian of MadTurboWerks and was prepared to plunk down some cash to get a Stage 1, even though a turbo is beyond my budget right now. Adrian was a true gentleman and talked to me about my existing turbo. He explained to me that the play was feeling was normal and as long as its not excessive enough to where the blades can scrape the housing its good to go. Now that's good customer service. Turning down an easy sale and giving away some free technical support. He may not have made a sale today, but he's now guaranteed I'll be buying a turbo from him in the future because I know what an honest guy he is. Thanks again Adrian!

The turbo seemed to be really lacking at low RPMs lately, so I took the time to go into the turbo and clean the unison ring and vanes. Found a how-to on Youtube that was confidence building before tearing into the turbo.

Turbo didn't look too shabby on disassembly, but I guess looks are deceiving. It really came back to life after a good cleaning. Pulling away from a stop is so much easier now... wish I had done the turbo cleaning before last month when I was pulling my 13k pound toy hauler around.

I prefilled my oil filter housing with oil as I reassembled, and before attempting to start it I turned the key to on and let the fuel pump run several times. Still... it took a full 60 seconds of cranking before it came to life. Not all in one shot... 10 seconds cranking, then 1-2 minutes to rest the starter each time. This would have scared the hell out of me if I hadn't first read some posts on how long guys have had to crank to get them motor back to life after this job. Funny thing though was I didn't have any of the lasting effects like other people reported as air works out of the HPOP. Once it started it was right back to normal, not so much as a hiccup.

I do notice that when starting the engine, while my truck still cranks for the same amount of time before starting (about 1.0-1.5 seconds) it now starts with authority... sounds much stronger. Also sound like it is idling quieter than before. Can anyone clue me in to why these changes happened? I was guessing the HPOP is working better now with the updated STC fitting and maybe that explains the stronger starts, but I've got no idea on why its quieter.

I should also put a plug in for BPD. They sold a very complete kit and got it delivered when promised.

This obviously was not a meant to be a step by step how-to like other guys have done. I just wanted to share what I accomplished and thank you guys for all the great info and support here.

Last edited by swilson143; 08-21-2012 at 12:49 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2012, 04:20 AM

Great write up!
Old 08-21-2012, 04:21 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Good info, thanks.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:53 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
No problem on getting you the manual. I'm glad I could help and it is totally worth it for me to help someone and when they are done they become another happy owner of a 6.0l powerstroke despite all the negativity that surrounds these engines. It gives you a new sense of confidence when you rip your 6.0 apart and put it back together and then when it fires you not only get that sense of reliefs but a new found confidence in working on your truck if anything else happens. Good job man.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:03 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
i suspect the majority of those hours was cleaning lol that thing sparkles
Old 08-21-2012, 10:59 AM

Thanks. You sure learn a lot doing this job.

I came away with 3 question after this.

1. Why are almost all the oil screens under the, oil coolers ripped when we get to them? Why more importantly why has Ford not started making better screens?

2. What made the engine start so much stronger now? My theory is its the updated STC fitting & fresh o-rings on the HPOP, dummy plugs, and stand pipes are helping the high pressure oil system keep higher pressures... but its a guess.

3. Why does it idle quieter now?
Old 08-21-2012, 11:58 AM

Regarding the HPOP screen -- any sludge that builds up seems to accumulate in the HPOP reservoir, and felt from the bottom of the OEM oil filters works its way there as well. These get pulled into the screen, and presto! Busted screen. Two of the great things about the BPD oil cooler kits is that the OEM screen is replaced with a stainless steel mesh and the OEM oil filter is replaced with a canister style filter.

Old 08-21-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscany View Post
No problem on getting you the manual. I'm glad I could help and it is totally worth it for me to help someone and when they are done they become another happy owner of a 6.0l powerstroke despite all the negativity that surrounds these engines.
Exactly. I get that from people, and it's amazing how much damage can be done with something minor like the type of coolant used. (in addition to lack of maintenance) There is a lot of ignorance out there about these trucks.

They are not for people who don't like to monitor or maintain them, but if you enjoy that stuff at all (like I do), then it's not a big deal. I love to tinker, so I enjoy the monitoring, cleaning, maintenance, etc. I'm either tinkering on my truck, or cleaning one of my motocross bikes.

It's nice to have that advanced notice that the monitoring tools (like the Edge Insight CTS) give, for some things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.