Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

How many of you found cracked heads during stud job.

1K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  snopro_03 
#1 ·
Well i'm getting parts togethor to stud my truck over the winter and bla bla bla I've got myself all worked up now coming across all these cracked head threads. So my question is how many of you actually got set back check book and time wise because you or your machine shop found cracks. I'm just like ughhh more money, tell me everythings gunna be ok guys lol.

#2 ·
Mine werent cracked but they were pretty pitted. I'd say save the extra cash just in case!

#5 ·
Just did the second head gasket job on mine and I was positive the machine shop was going to find cracks but they checked out great. Whatever you do don't use the BO gaskets, go with OEM even though they cost a little more. I was the 5th person this year my mechanic had seen with BO gaskets that had failed. I have 87k on my 03

#8 ·
Yeah a couple years ago seemed like everyone was recommending them. Not sure about field testing but just do a search on them, mostly negative from people that have had to re-do gasket jobs like my self

#9 ·
163k miles on my truck and over 100k on the heads. Just had them checked last week and no cracks (thankfully).

Only other thing I can add regarding the gaskets and studs: torque the studs using the Ford sequence and in three equal steps up to 210 ft-lbs (70, 140, then 210).

#10 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the support and suggestions guys. Oem gaskets are a must, i've seen to many people learning the hard way going with the black onyx on each of the forums, and oem will be going in my truck. I'm a JD tech so the wrenching part i'm not the least bit worried about. I'm just wondering why are these heads cracking like they are, i've read so many mixed comments on why people think they do. I just had the head off of a 12.5L deere engine from a chopper at work to do a head gasket and injector cups. The injector cups were actually leaking down and filling the cylinders with coolant, and this head was pitted horribly. Machine shop decked and pressure tested the head and left me put it back on with out any issue. The entire time i worked on this thing i'm like hmmm i kinda feel like I'm working on a 6.0 with these symptoms, I had to laugh. BTW I feel better seeing you guys with success stories keep them coming!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.