Batteries dead in the morning. Why? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2012, 10:13 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Batteries dead in the morning. Why?

Hey y'all, need some advice here. I have an '03 F250 6.0PS/Torq Shift with just over 100K miles. It's basically stock. The only "mods" are EGR delete, Cat delete, coolant filter, GoGo direct clutch solenoid and an Edge EVO HT tuner set to the lowest "tune" of "economy". Everything else, FICM, ECM, ect is bone stock and I believe original.

Anyway, the batteries are about a year old so I doubt they are the problem and the alternator is putting out 13.8 volts at an idle.

I live in the salt belt (MI) I bought this truck in Texas and it's really nice so I don't drive it in the winter. I also don't need/use it so I just store it and drive my POS Cherokee.

This has happened twice this year, about a month after I got it out of storage, around April and again last night. What's happening is I come home from work, park the truck and when I get up in the moring to go to work the batteries are dead, I mean DEAD! As far as I can tell I didn't leave anything on, no doors open and there doesn't seem to be anything obvious.

Which brings me to my questions:

1. If I did leave the dome light on or a door open, doesn't this truck have the "timer" that shuts it off after like 45 minutes? (Maybe I didn't shut the drivers door all the way and then when I go to start it, I don't know 'cause I already opened and closed it.)???

2. Does anyone know if there is something common that could be causing this or has anyone heard of this before?

?????????

TIA, Matt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2012, 04:36 PM

Is alt. hot after a couple of hours of not running could be bad diode in alt. & it will drain your batteries.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:37 PM

I'll check it tomorrow.

Thanks!
Old 08-20-2012, 07:49 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Our excursion draws the batteries down as well. Sat for a week while the FICM was out and I could tell a huge difference in starting power that initial start. If the tranny didnt have to relearn shifting each time the batteries were unplugged I would almost want to do that!
Old 08-21-2012, 04:54 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Have you batteries and alternator tested individually at you local autozone. If they test good you might want to look into getting an onboard battery charger with letting it sit that long. Or just drive it.

When I put my new radio in I put a relay in to override the part of the radio that will not let it play a dvd while driving. It has about 5 or so wires going to it. I got 2 of the wires mixed up and plugged in wrong. Just that little thing would drain my batteries over-night and would not blow a fuse. If you have done anything like this recently you might want to check any wiring to make sure that it is right.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:09 AM

Thanks for the ideas guys. Nope, stock radio. Other than the stuff listed above the only other stuff that's not factory orginal is a brake controler, two inch fron shackles and a bed tool box...
Old 08-21-2012, 04:32 PM

I had the same problem and it was the alt. Worked fine till it warmed up, thats when it went to **** put a new one on and have not had a prob since then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.