2005 Rolling Idle at cold start only - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2012, 06:10 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2005 Rolling Idle at cold start only

I've not driven my truck much lately because I've been working alot and have a company truck. So once a week is probably the norm...if not two weeks. Just wanted to put that out there if it helps diagnose.

I have noticed that cranking times seem slightly longer that it was over the last year. Yet, sometimes it cranks and fires quickly. Time sitting seems to have no part in this. It's random as to how long it cranks. But it's definately not always the same.

The last two times I've driven my truck, I noticed that it cranked a little long...but once running, and after idling for about a minute...the rpms seem to start wandering up and down, or hunting for a stable place. It's not rough as far as the engine running, but the rpms are clearly dropping then picking up. Maybe 100-200 rpm up and down. It will stabilize to normal, then do it again.

I held my foot on the pedal to try and hold say, 1200 or so, and it would roll or hunt at that rpm too. I couldn't hold it steady. Then once it warms up a little it gets better. When I'm up to temp it's completely gone.

Any guesses based on this explanation? ICP, FICM, Batteries? I checked voltage of batteries during this event and they read a nice 14.5 +/-...assuming thats normal.

PS: Fuel filters were changed 7K ago (motorcraft) and my fuel is from a consistent clean source that I've used for years. Engine has Rotella T6 and Stanadyne in fuel. I've ran Stanadyne about every 3rd fill up for a year now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2012, 09:55 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Any guesses on a wandering idle startup/warmup...when coolant temps are cold only? I want to address this as soon as possible to avoid other items (like injectors) from suffering. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.