About to own a 6.0 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2012, 07:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
About to own a 6.0

Well I have been reading a lot and doing my research. I have a perfectly fine 06 f150 crew cab 4x4 lariat with 85000 miles that I'm About to trade in on a 2005 f250 king ranch 4x4 crew cab SWB with a 6.0. The truck has 167000 miles, interior is kinda dirty but not terrible im just super clean, driver seat is tore where they all tear on the driver side. Now for the engine, I know the used dealer is fed up with me. They have had the truck since march so there making a deal. Initially they has 3 bad injectors back in march, #2,#2,#8. The mechanic changed all 8 injectors and put a new EGR valve, changed rear brakes. 3800.00 dollars worth and I have the invoices from the mechanic. They put some new tires on it also for 1000.00 again have receipt. They took the truck on trade at 12000 and were selling at 18990 I have them down to 16800 and they are giving me 16000 for mine. So all in all I'm only financing 12000. Now I'm super nervous about buying a 6.0 like I'm sure everyone else was when buying used since you don't know how it was maintained. Well I like to research so I first got a osasis report. It showed regular warranty work no major fixes no head gasket repair, no egr issues or oil cooler issues. Service manager said usually if they abuse them at 30000 miles there in there for repair. Next I brought it to a well respected diesel mechanic in my area. He specializes in repairing 6.0 and 6.4 and beefing them up. He did all kind of diagnostics on a laptop which I never saw and thought was pretty cool. He said 3 glow plugs were bad, bad abs sensor front driver side, plus a bunch of electrical codes. He said electrical codes could be from working on truck with ignition on and unplugging wires etc. plus I drove it for 100 miles and didn't have a single issue. Truck runs smooth and shifts great. In my opinion it's strong still. Now the main thing I was concerned about they had a leak start when I got home with it test driving and brought to that mechanic. He checked it out said he would have to pressure wash area with motor cool then monitor a couple days. He said it could be as small as a glow plug oring or a rocker box gasket. He couldnt tell but that's what he said it looked like. Well I brought it back to the dealer and told them I want the truck but I was not buying it with a oil leak and I told them about the glow plugs. They brought the truck Friday to there mechanic and he replaced the bad glow plugs and is fixing the leak. I asked what the leak was but the dealer said they didn't know but total was going to be 500. I will find out tomorrow and I am also getting a car fax tomorrow. So now I told them I want to test drive again all day Monday and bring it to another mechanic " which is a ford dealer but they are top notch on the 6.0 engines " I called the services manager and just what he told me they check impressed me. So tuesday I should know all good and bad news. Sorry for being so long winded I just wanted input from other 6.0 owners before I jump into it. I have never owned a diesel but always drove them from working on farms to construction to messing with diesel engines offshore. I'm mechanically inclined and build gas motors and currently rebuilding a 67 camaro. But by no means know everything about anything. So I like advise on my decisions. So if you think a 6.0 with 167k is a bad idea let me know and appreciate any advise. Look forward future post thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2012, 08:15 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
They took the truck on trade at 12000 and were selling at 18990 I have them down to 16800 and they are giving me 16000 for mine. So all in all I'm only financing 12000.
Say what???

A 6.0 with 167k is not necessarily a bad deal. A 6.0 that's leaking oil, torn seats, bad abs sensor, " a bunch of codes", injectors that were replaced, EGR replaced.....probably not such a good deal. Look at it this way-all this work has been done since the PO traded it in, jut imagine the shape it was in when it was traded in and the neglect on the part of the PO to let it get in that kinda shape. What else has been neglected? I would be running away...fast!
Old 08-20-2012, 06:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ha ha well when you put it like that!!! See I was looking at it as if I would buy another somewhere else "and I have looked all over" there 22000.00+ with just 100000 miles and none of them are in any better shape body wise. Plus no work has been done at all so I start thinking if the injectors go out I'll be putting out 3k to fix. I don't know you have a point but unless I buy one from someone I know you never know how well it was maintained or taken care of. I look at it as if I started having a miss and could trade it in instead of fixing it I would if I wanted a new truck.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledoux79 View Post
Ha ha well when you put it like that!!! See I was looking at it as if I would buy another somewhere else "and I have looked all over" there 22000.00+ with just 100000 miles and none of them are in any better shape body wise. Plus no work has been done at all so I start thinking if the injectors go out I'll be putting out 3k to fix. I don't know you have a point but unless I buy one from someone I know you never know how well it was maintained or taken care of. I look at it as if I started having a miss and could trade it in instead of fixing it I would if I wanted a new truck.
I'm sure you're doing your homework and I'm sure someone alot wiser than I will step in and give better advice than me, but you have to remember 6.0 maintenance is not cheap at all. 6.0 problems are not cheap either and they tend to snowball fast. Alot of the trucks you see on the market are there because the PO fell on hard times with his/her business and we all know one of the first things that gets neglected during hard times is maintenance on our vehicles. It's just a fact of life. So when a truck has as many problems as the one you describe you really have to start asking what was neglected?

Sometimes you just have to keep looking. If cost is a real concern for you then I respectfully have to advise the 6.0 might not be the truck for you. Maybe you can check out some of the 7.3's on the market. They're reliable, cheaper, and pretty easy to wrench on yourself. Being honest the truck you're describing is likely up for a head job, EGR, oil cooler, and a host of other things that are going to cost between 5-8k. Make no mistake with enough money you can probably bulletproof that engine and easily get another 200k out of it. But then after you do all that you still have a truck with ripped seats, rough interior, rather inexpensive tires (1k for tires isn't all that much on these vehicles), rather dirty imperfect exterior.

I'm also still not getting the financing part. You mention you have them down to 16,800 and getting 16k for your F150 if I understand correctly, but then you mention you'd be financing 12k.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:05 AM

he could owe the 12k on his F150?

No matter what else you end up doing, buy a ScanGauge II, plug it into any vehicle to program it for the 6.0L, and take it with you for the test drives.

I would pass on that truck.

While you're looking, you might not know (I didn't until later) that if you want the big 38 gal tank, you have to get the long bed. 500 miles between fillups is very nice.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:22 AM

hello gentlemen i just bought a 2004 f350 crewcab long bed dually. xlt but anyways i love 6.0s. idahoser is right they are crazy expensive. i mean oil changes can be 150 to 200 dollars depending on what u use and that is doing it yourself too! fuel filters are 80 90 bucks. but 6.0s are the wierdest diesel i have owned. 7.3s are dog engines their reliable and have torque but no speed at all inless u have 3000 dollars to make them as fast as a 6.0 bone stock. i got my 6.0 for 16000. it has 95000 miles on it it had 90000 on it when i bought it but, heres the best part 3 weeks after i owned it, it wouldnt start. come to find out i had a bad ficm, 2 bad injectors, fuel pressure regulator. that was a 2800 dollar repair bill before my 1300$ tag bill as well. so their price little machines, but the power and the fuel mileage will over come any 7.3. stock of course
Old 08-20-2012, 09:30 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
you could get a truck like that with 110k miles here in Missouri with practically no issues for like 15k lol
Old 08-20-2012, 09:49 AM

I wouldn't buy it. The dealer bought it for $12,000 put $3,800+$1,000 tires into it which comes to $16,800. You said you got them down to $16,800. They are still making money and probably bought the truck for less. You are really paying for the repairs/tires and financing the repairs/tires. I recently seen a 2006 f350 crew cab long wheel base 4x4 diesel in great condition for $16,xxx with 170k miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

Last edited by c dog; 08-20-2012 at 09:53 AM.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:26 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluedemon6.0
I would have to say I agree with the other members, either buy scan gauge and monitor the eot and ect make sure they are well under 15* difference or run. You could be buying somebody else's problem but these things are pretty easy to turn wrenches on.
I own a 2004 cc lariat i bought last may. First thing I got was gauges. That is when I realized I needed a new oil cooler. This summer I decided to pull the heads while I had the top of the motor off and put in studs. Im glad I did. My heads valve guides were completely worn and mine has 166k miles on it. So like said above "sounds like a head job". He is probably right. At least check your delta and see where you are at. Good luck
Old 08-20-2012, 02:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the advise from everyone. Just left car lot I brought it back to the mechanic I was using and found another leak in front behind the balancer. But hey the last leak was repaired lol. So now they want to add all new leather. I doubt im even going to pursue it anymore. I love the truck but I'm too scared I'm getting some else's problem. I will update later
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.