Feels like a miss... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2012, 02:15 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Feels like a miss...

I was towing my trailer back from vacation and noticed the truck bucking a bit in the top gear from about 1100 to 1800 rpm or about 40-60 mph - doesn't seem to have as much power either. If you pressed on the accelerator gently so as not to downshift, it got a bit worse. If you pushed harder on the accelerator to make it downshift and rev higher it seemed to go away. I pulled into a rest area and stopped and with the truck in park the engine had a vibration at around 1100-1200 rpm but was smooth above and below that. Guess I'm not done pouring money into this truck!! Any ideas..??

Last edited by dagnabit9; 08-19-2012 at 05:05 PM. Reason: clarification
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2012, 09:26 AM
Serving Our Country!

Update: changed out towing tune for economy tune and took the truck into town to fill up with fuel. No bucking in high gear at all. Now thinking it's a programming problem or bad fuel from up north. Again, thoughts; ideas..??
Old 08-20-2012, 09:29 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
check your FICM voltage. this is common problem when ficm voltage starts to drop. are you getting any codes? it could be a number of small things but i dont see anything more expensive than the ficm at this point. have you tried any of your other tunes with the new fuel?
Old 08-20-2012, 09:51 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Hate to break it to you but it's more than likely your injectors are going bad. I had the same problem with my truck doing that under light load it would buck at like 45-60 mph but if you stood on it - it would drop a gear and take off no problem. I called Jesse Warren and he explained it to me and also said that if you send your injectors to him he will rebuild them and machine the barrels to 155 cc and ship them back to you for $500 instead of buying all new injectors for a lot more money.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:00 AM
Serving Our Country!

Update: Going to work this morning it started bucking again but not until it was good and warmed up. Will monitor FICM voltage on the way home tonight but I did that when I first encountered this problem and voltage never went below 48 volts. I tend to agree with Tuscany that I might have an injector problem after more than 152k miles. Will keep you posted. BTW, is it better to replace all the injectors or just the ones that are offending at the present time..?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 08-21-2012, 05:11 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I had the same problem with mine. Was getting a code for injector #6 contribution fault. Changed oil and filters running Rottella T6 now instead of conventional and got some Hot Shot's Secret along with there fuel treatment only have about 300 miles on the stuff and engine running much smoother. Seams to be helping but I know I maybe running on borrowed time. Truck much quieter and better starts. Hope this helps good luck with it.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:27 AM
Banned

If you call Jesse warren of warren diesel in pa he will rebuild your injectors for you and machine them to 155's instead of 133's and it will only set you back $500.

I have hot shot secret in my oil right now and for the last 5000 and it helped at first but it didn't fix the problem. In fact I think the hot shot secret cleaning out the oil side of my engine I believe is what caused my hpo leaks to get worse and eventually cause me to rebuild my hpo system with new dummy plugs new stand pipes new ipr valve and new hpop. I never had an issue with hot starts or anything until I used hot shot secret so just be aware it may happen to you. But I will say that the only reason I believe it did that is because it cleaned all the crud and gunk that was blocking the leak spots. So I guess in a way it is good as it cleans but it could cause you to spend a lot in repairs.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:52 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Tuscany- Truck started out with bad HPOP, IPR valve, dummy plugs, stand pipes, and. number 4 injector. Got the truck out of the shop and #6 injector started acting up. Was running conventional oil swapp to synthetic and Hot Shots to try to clear up problem. Hopefully I didn't just create more problems for myself. Thanks for the info and I'll keep an eye on her. Definitely cleared out my oil cool though thank goodness was getting nervous about the delta's on it at almost 15* now down around 5*.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscany View Post
Hate to break it to you but it's more than likely your injectors are going bad. I had the same problem with my truck doing that under light load it would buck at like 45-60 mph but if you stood on it - it would drop a gear and take off no problem. I called Jesse Warren and he explained it to me and also said that if you send your injectors to him he will rebuild them and machine the barrels to 155 cc and ship them back to you for $500 instead of buying all new injectors for a lot more money.
I agree, it sounds exactly like an injector starting to go. But you are saying that he can re-build and machine all 8 injectors for $500?
Old 08-21-2012, 08:03 AM
Banned

Yes plus shipping and core but you get your core charge refunded when he receives your old injectors if you order them first. Or you can send yours in and have them rebuilt and not have to worry about the core charge but then your truck is down while your waiting on your injectors to get to him, be rebuilt, and sent back to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.