Any one using brad penn oils? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2012, 08:11 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Any one using brad penn oils?

Always have used brad penn in equipment on the farm started using it in the 6.0, anyone else using these products? they as good as what i can find out there really good and cheap in a drum its like 9 something a gal can't beat it with 5k oil changes i think
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2012, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I would not run it in a 6.0. It is dino oil and 100% Pennsylvania crude which is high in paraffin (wax) which leads to varnish buildup, the leading cause of sticking injectors.

Stick to a 5w40 full synthetic. Rotella T6 seems to work well and can be had at Walmart for $21 and change per gallon. Yes it is more expensive than dino oil but injectors are $279 each and the labor to change them expensive.

The 6.0 is not cheap to own and operate. If you are looking for something that is I would suggest you sell it and buy a 7.3. Not trying to be a smart azz, just telling it like it is. I would expect continued use of the Brad Penn to cost you in maintenance down the road.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:57 PM

ok thanks thats what ive been looking at really like the oil but the pariffine seems not good for the 6.0. T6 must not have any pariffine in it at least i can't find anything about it. just bought the truck with 205k on it have no idea whats been used for oil before but think the t6 would be a good choice and stick to 5k changes just to be safe i'm not out here to say my oil can go this long to the next guy as long as it does what its sappost to. P.S the bp repp told me that there oils are desined to handle the 6.0 and are the best for those injectors but of course he would he's selling it i just want to know,lol
Old 08-19-2012, 02:32 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
All dino oil has paraffin in it the amount actually left in it depends on the maker of the base lube oil as it's another process it has to go through which of coarse adds to the cost of making it. I've mentioned this before on one of the forums, there are actually few makers of lube oil and probably at least a hundred brands of oil and the only difference between oil A, B and C are grade of base lube and the additive packages agreed opon in the contract with the producer.
Gone forever are the days that diesels are cheap to run and maintain over their lifespan.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:06 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Brad Penn makes a point of the fact that it is a paraffinic base stock. Pennsylvania crude oils are known to be high in paraffin. It is great stuff for old school gassers with flat tappet cams because of the high zinc content. Other than that stay away and run a good 5w40 synthetic.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:00 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Agreed, I run 5W40 year round
Old 08-20-2012, 02:44 PM

ok thanks t6 good 5k changes
Old 08-22-2012, 11:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Misconception....

There has long been a misconception among some consumers that engine oils formulated with paraffinic base stocks contain wax that causes engine sludge and varnish. If one were to analyze the composition of this engine ‘sludge’ and/or varnish, the analyses would show that wax is not a contributor to, nor precursor of these deposits. Sludge and varnish are the products of oxidation and degradation of engine oil and depletion of oil additives due to over-extension of proper oil change intervals, mechanical or operational problems or a combination of these factors.

In reality, ALL of today’s mineral-based ‘dino’ motor oils regardless of brand or manufacturer contain paraffinic base oils. Invariably, the word paraffin means wax to most people. Actually, the word’s origin is Latin; derived from parum affinis which means not enough or little affinity, inertness (slow to react or little change in respect to temperature). Early chemists gave the name “paraffin” to classes of hydrocarbons that showed limited reactivity. Wax is but one of many types of hydrocarbons (i.e. ‘alkanes’) that can be classified as ‘paraffins’.

Crude oil contains four different types of hydrocarbon molecules: paraffinic, naphthenic, aromatic and asphaltic. The concentrations of each type of molecule present in different crude oils vary with the geographical location and strata from which the crude oil is obtained. Pennsylvania Grade crude oil is very thermally stable paraffinic crude with a naturally high Viscosity Index (its viscosity changes less than other crude types in reaction to changes in temperature). It is extremely low in sulfur and nitrogen content and is free of asphaltic constituents. All these characteristics make Pennsylvania Grade crude oil an excellent choice for refining into lubricating base stocks. It can only be obtained in limited, well-defined geographical areas in Pennsylvania, Ohio, New York and West Virginia.

By definition, Pennsylvania Grade crude oil is paraffinic which means that it does indeed contain wax. However during the refining process the wax is effectively removed from the crude oil by means of solvent dewaxing. The resulting ‘dewaxed’ oils (base oils) are either further processed or used directly in the formation of blended products, including motor oils. The ‘slack’ wax removed during the dewaxing process is a very marketable commodity that is sold to other manufacturers for use in formulating their respective products.

Thank you for this opportunity to offer clarification regarding any misconceptions about paraffinic oils and their use in formulation of engine oils. If there are additional questions, please contact our Technical Service Department at (814) 368-1200.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:00 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

OK boys, line up. Only one at a time. HEY YOU ! in the back...get back in line.
No kicking in the nuts and no face shots. let's keep it clean.

I want to hear the responses to this.
1,2,3....GO !
Old 08-22-2012, 12:04 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Good to know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.