Cracked Heads - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2012, 07:58 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cracked Heads

Hey guys took my truck in for what I thought ( and still do) was bad head gaskets. Its a 05 f 350 with 109K that ive owned for 6 mos. I had A after market service contract that stated that it would replace bad head gaskets so I wasnt too worried about the cost. Once my shop took the truck apart they felt that the head gaskets were ok and sent the heads out to be looked at at a machine shop. The machine shop came back and said the heads were cracked at the valve seats all the way to the water jacket and that they were no good. After market warranty company dosnt cover cracked heads or block. So now Im responsible to pay approximately 4k to replace head gaskets and an additional 3200 in new heads from ford. Couple of my questions are this. Im hearing that all the head on these things crack at the valve seats so is it worth it to put new heads on or could I get by with some remans? I also am seeing that some times the head gasket dose not blow but simply lifts, is there anyway to prove this? If some one was to get some reman. heads where would you go? Anyone heard of odessa in Clearwater Fl. They are offering some remans. for 1300$ for the pair. Anyone have any other ideas??? THanks i advance for te help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2012, 10:55 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Why are you sure that the HG's are blown? What happened?

The 6.0l heads are known to crack at the valve seats. Some are very very shallow and nothing to worry about (by what Ford and International say). However when they crack all the way to the water jacket the are pretty much done. Also you can look at you old HG's and you will be able to tell where they where blown at, it's pretty obvious. If you can't see where they are blown at then your heads are done.

Most of our HG's get lifted off of the motor by excess cylinder PSI, when this happens your HG's blow. What I am trying to say is that the heads lift off of the block and that is what blows the HG's.

I know people that run reman heads with no problems. Make sure you stud it when you do it so you don't blow the HG's.

Just FYI my studs and HG's where done at around 196k miles and they had no cracks in them. Not all of them crack, most do.
Old 08-18-2012, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I would go with the Odessa heads at $1300 before spending $3200 to buy new heads from Ford.
Old 08-18-2012, 01:56 PM

What are "Odessa" heads ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGreenSVT View Post
I would go with the Odessa heads at $1300 before spending $3200 to buy new heads from Ford.
Old 08-18-2012, 05:48 PM

They are from clear water fla.. I have a set of odessa heads on my trk for about 5 months now with no problems. I would go with odessa. Im happy with them..
Old 08-18-2012, 08:00 PM

look at ebay there on there for 1300 for both heads from odessa i do beleive
Old 08-25-2012, 08:56 AM

Just a quick update guys. I got new heads from ford. They are supposed to be redesigned............Total cost 7900. and yes its studded.....what a joke.....my truck is worth no more than it was when it went in just has an extra 8k in it....this thing better run forever
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.