Potential Purchase '04 Crew Cab - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2012, 11:34 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Potential Purchase '04 Crew Cab

I have a chance to purchase an 04 Crew Cab 6.0 liter with 128k for $10k.

It seems like a good deal. I am going to look at it this weekend. If I need to do studs and egr what am I looking at for costs?

Am I better off pushing this one aside and waiting for another truck?

The truck is in very very good shape inside and out. Of course unknown is the motor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2012, 11:41 AM
The Silent Service

If you are curtain you'll be picking up a 6.0L, get a monitor so you can check the key things on the motor when you look at the truck.

For 10K, and its the cab/bed config you are looking for, I wouldn't hesitate - if the motor checks out.

If you are looking at doing the work yourself, figure roughly $2500 for a bullet-proofing stud job using the OEM oil cooler, and your choice of EGR solution. If you can't budget 30 hrs for labor (which is about what Ford charges on HGs).
Old 08-17-2012, 12:00 PM

I really really want a king ranch but the 10k seems to good to pass up...

you say get a monitor to check things out when I am testing. I am at a loss. I am the ultimate newbie. I do have an Ipod with a hook up for diagnostics... will this do? Its made by go point techonologies.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:03 PM
The Silent Service

I have no idea the limitations of what you have.

I like the Edge Insight CS or CTS units, simply OBII plug in and run. Hook it up and look over the key things listed in my Monitoring thread (check sig for link). If the current owner won't let you hook up a monitor, I'd pass on the truck and find something else.

At 10k, you have a lot of savings to go ahead and upgrade the interior to something similar to the KR.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:50 PM

Also, since I really dont know how to do the delete, cooler, filters etc... does anyone out there know of anyone in Maine that you would trust to do the work needed to make this truck bulletproof for many many more miles to come?
Old 08-21-2012, 04:32 PM

ok everyone. I went ahead and bought the truck and have it home now. With the recommendations for all here I just ordered the insight CTS. Step one is to monitor the engine and the delta ( not sure what that is... sorry) I know that I am measuring Engine Oil Temps and Engine Coolant Temps..Right? and is the delta the difference between the two? and this will tell me if something is wrong. I.E. more than 15* and the oil cooler is not cooling as efficiently as it is getting clogged.

Like I said. I am a shiny shiny newbie. But have wanted to purchase a diesel for a long time and really enjoy knowing all I can know. I also like a challenge.

I will let everyone know how the diagnosing goes. Then it may be on to the next step.
just want to do all this right. The truck is in really good shape and I got what I thought is a really good deal? I am in hopes that the deltas arent too bad so I can build up funds for what may come.

I see no discoloration in the oil nor the coolant. No signs of degassing. ( if I could possibly tell) everything looks clean. He has some service records showing that he did normal to the book maintenance ( trans, oil etc...) I am the third owner.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:37 PM
The Silent Service

Deltas referenced between Engine Coolant vs. Engine Oil Temps, 65 mph flat road at operating temps. Greater than 15* difference, and its time for an oil cooler rebuild. Risks for exceeding that is EGR cooler failure, and oil cooler failure, along with associated damages from over heated oil.

Keep us posted, and enjoy your new-to-you 6.0L. Any questions, let us know.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:55 PM

thanks for the information. If it werent for you guys I would have never bought this truck. It would have been a chevy. But since the 6.0's have been vetted for their problems I am confident that I will have a nice truck that will last at least 300,000 miles.

oh, once I get the monitor and diagnose. If the delta is not 15* or if there is no difference does that mean I need to do nothing yet?

What about the egr delete. I think I can do that here easy enough, if I could find a good mechanic.

And thanks to you colo_dually for your help and insight.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:05 PM
The Silent Service

Check the monitoring thread in my Sig. I give a pretty good list of everything you can watch for and catch proactively.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:25 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Hey colo, you said to get a monitor if your certain that he would be buying a 6.0. I am still on the fence about a 6.4 and a 6.0 and wonder if the 6.4 needs to be monitored like the 6.0. Obviously a lot of things play into buying a truck but if I decide on a 6.4 is something like a CTS unnecessary?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.