Stock off-road Sand capability? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2007, 04:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Stock off-road Sand capability?

Ok, How good/bad is my truck going to be in the sand when I take it camping/off-roading? FL, lots of SUGAR SAND!! EVERYWHERE!!! So I don't want to get stuck 10' off the road right when I get there. What can I expect here? I'm sitting on the stock 20" wheels and stock GY tires, FX4. I'm trying to figure out if I shouldn't even go out there unless I have 20x10 wheels and 35x12.50 AT's ya know... Yes I know about airing down, it helps... i'm a EX rock crawler/ offroader. Just not sure what to expect from a "stock" truck in the sand out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2007, 04:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to slammedSI Send a message via MSN to slammedSI Send a message via Yahoo to slammedSI
My ranch is nothing but blow sand. My rig with stock sizes tires does pretty well. i dont think you will have a problem unless you go to like the dunes.
Old 10-14-2007, 04:57 PM

Well, the areas I head to are like dunes.... real lose, open areas of sand pits. I guess I'm just a bit apprehensive about it b/c of the shear size/weight of the truck compare to what I'm used to wheeling.... Tacomas, 4runners, F150's. so i'm not sure what to expect. I"m asuuming going to 10" wide rims would help right? lol.
Old 10-14-2007, 05:02 PM
Banned

I spent a few days on the beach in Hatteras this summer and your truck is very close to mine except I'm longbed. Air your tires down to 30 psi or a little less and you will do great. I actually cruised the beach at 70 psi, but you can sure get into trouble that way!

The faster you try to go the harder it is to go. Just cruise at 15 mph or less and it will be a breeze. 25 mph will work you truck hard even in 4 low. I wish I had my tranny gauge back then! Don't make sudden stops and don't try to accelerate fast.

Also don't forget to air your tires up as soon as you can. Highway speed at 30 psi really sucks!
Old 10-14-2007, 05:13 PM

I go real slow out there.... Deff not a heavy footed idiot like some I've seen. I CrAwL. Hence why I loved my crawler. Sand WORKS the hell out of your truck. if you have a cooling problem... out in the sand trails,... as long as 10 mile sand trails, on a 90F+ FL day, you'll find it! I think grades and sand show the real test of a cooling system test.

Been looking around... Might be getting new wheels and tires at once. rather than putting tires on the stockers. I can get wheels 20x10's pretty decently priced. Looking for a nice 20x10 CHROME low maintance wheel that's good quality. I'll have to mull it over.

SO I guess I can only plan a weekend... air down and hope we do well. I've never seen a Superduty out there before.... lol.
Old 10-14-2007, 05:17 PM
Banned

The only problem with being the only big dog on the beach is there isn't anybody capable of pulling you out if you get stuck bad!
Old 10-14-2007, 05:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
i think you might get stuck... i see stock trucks of all kind get stuck in the soft sand of Pismo all the time... heck i got stuck with my 35" wheels this year.....are you gonna have any weight in the back of the bed? (bike, quad) and i suggest you air down way more than 35psi... i get mine down to 15psi all the time... and sometimes pulling someone in with that low psi..... and your 20x10 will not help....
Old 10-15-2007, 12:54 AM

Why won't going to a wider wheel/tire help? I thought it would give more contact patch area, giving it more of a baloon effect. I know when I went from a 8" wheel with 10.50's to a 10" wheel with 12.50's it made a big difference in my 4runner.

NO weight in the truck. Full tank of Fuel, Tent, 1 other person... and pervisions. that's it.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:40 AM

i have 12.5 inch wide tires and before when i had stock ones on i would air them down to 15psi and it would do alright. but my tires now i air em down to 15 and i can pretty much go any where. i no for a fact wider tires help but just use common sense with your stock tires and stay on the gas you'll do fine
Old 10-15-2007, 04:35 AM

It's all about the air. I have 37's and still have to air down in loose sand. With sand it's more than just the contact patch. The contact patch needs to be flat or better concaved and only airing down can give you that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.