Towed for the first time - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2012, 08:52 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Towed for the first time

A couple weekends ago I towed my open track car from Sacramento to Infinion raceway in Sonoma for Shelby Club Mini nats. I have had the truck for over a year, but the first couple times I needed to tow the truck was in the shop so I had a loner. LOL. Car weighs 2985lbs and trailer was 1800 lbs. I towed it with the Looney. Everything seemed good and all numbers were good. It didnt even feel like I had something behind me, I kept thinking someone in a mustang was tail gating me LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2012, 01:42 PM

long as you watch temps and ur right foot.. the looney is awesome for towing small loads like this. Vivian said she wouldn't push past 4-5k with it.. but watch ur gauges on climbs
Old 08-15-2012, 03:31 PM

yeah i only hit 3 hills the whole time. its a pretty flat tow to all places I go
Old 08-15-2012, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVERO2 View Post
.....I kept thinking someone in a mustang was tail gating me LOL.
I know the feeling. I'll be towing my 5th wheel and sometimes I do the "Hey, what's blocking my view" momentarily! I've towed it enough by now that that shouldn't happen.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:44 PM

Haha it's something I ALWAYS forget about.
Old 08-16-2012, 02:07 AM

Last weekend I towed a car for the first time since I bought my pickup. I haven't had time to do anything to it yet, other than adding a coolant filter (but that was after the tow) and I do have the parts for EGR delete, oil cooler replacement, and upgraded STC. I also have an Edge Insight. My deltas are normally 8-10, even when I drive it hard. I couldn't even guess on the weight of the car or trailer, it was my friends derby car, and just a bumper hitch trailer. I hooked up to it and took off. I couldn't even tell it was there! Way better than my old pickup! (1993 F-350 with the 7.3, non turbo and 275,000 miles) Anyhow, I wanted to test the pickup out pulling something, and I tested it hard. I was going 90 and blowing by other cars. In the higher gears I could tell there was weight (I only drive manual pickups) but still pulled like a dream. BUT I eventually slowed down because my deltas were hovering around 15, all the way up to 20. I'm going to replace the cooler regardless, but was wondering if this is normal given how I was driving it. I don't have any tunes, and like I said I've never seen high deltas. Just curious if it is normal for them to rise that much when towing with a heavy foot?? I've always heard 15+ degrees is when to start worrying...Thanks for the input!
Old 08-16-2012, 09:37 AM

its 15* at 60 mph on flat ground as I hear it. I think you are fine.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maberle View Post
Last weekend I towed a car for the first time since I bought my pickup. I haven't had time to do anything to it yet, other than adding a coolant filter (but that was after the tow) and I do have the parts for EGR delete, oil cooler replacement, and upgraded STC. I also have an Edge Insight. My deltas are normally 8-10, even when I drive it hard. I couldn't even guess on the weight of the car or trailer, it was my friends derby car, and just a bumper hitch trailer. I hooked up to it and took off. I couldn't even tell it was there! Way better than my old pickup! (1993 F-350 with the 7.3, non turbo and 275,000 miles) Anyhow, I wanted to test the pickup out pulling something, and I tested it hard. I was going 90 and blowing by other cars. In the higher gears I could tell there was weight (I only drive manual pickups) but still pulled like a dream. BUT I eventually slowed down because my deltas were hovering around 15, all the way up to 20. I'm going to replace the cooler regardless, but was wondering if this is normal given how I was driving it. I don't have any tunes, and like I said I've never seen high deltas. Just curious if it is normal for them to rise that much when towing with a heavy foot?? I've always heard 15+ degrees is when to start worrying...Thanks for the input!
Your deltas are going to be higher when towing, and when driving that fast. Actually, they are probably pretty damned good, considering.

They just don't give you accurate or useful information unless they are checked when driving on flat ground, after being warmed up, at around 65mph.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:25 PM

That's what I like to hear!! I will still put a new one in when I do the EGR delete, but given my work schedule, that could be a year from now even though I already have the parts! heck, if it takes me that long to get to it, I might buy the bulletproof one! (just not ready to drop $2000 yet)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.