Flushing system soon...couple of questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2012, 04:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Flushing system soon...couple of questions

My deltas at 60-70 MPH are between 9-11...I'm within acceptable ...but wish they were lower...

Whole still on stock bolts at 102k miles I'm cautious ...

I'm going to flush...but my question ...should I install a coolant filter for a while before I flush and swap to an elc?

I don't want to risk pushing something into the oc but realize this is an all but unavoidable risk...

Second question ...I read about guys doing a water only flush, without vc9 or restore..

Using water vs an acidic cleaner, what are the pros or cons?

Thanks in advanced

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using AutoGuide.Com Free App

Last edited by Adamv7010; 08-14-2012 at 04:27 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2012, 04:37 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
This weekend I'm going to install some fumoto drain valves in the block hopefully. Then I plan to run the engine with water flowing into the degas bottle with everything opened up. I plan to run it like that, inreasing rpm's, idling, etc to try to push as much sand out of the system as I can. Then I will back flush the oil cooler (probably wont do much good, but its not like it will hurt. Then button everything up and run some cleaner through it. Drain it, open all the valves and do exactly the same as the first step. Then back flush the oil cooler. Then start the process of adding distilled water a few times, then fill it up with coolant.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:55 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamv7010 View Post
My deltas at 60-70 MPH are between 9-11...I'm within acceptable ...but wish they were lower...

Whole still on stock bolts at 102k miles I'm cautious ...

I'm going to flush...but my question ...should I install a coolant filter for a while before I flush and swap to an elc?

I don't want to risk pushing something into the oc but realize this is an all but unavoidable risk...

Second question ...I read about guys doing a water only flush, without vc9 or restore..

Using water vs an acidic cleaner, what are the pros or cons?

Thanks in advanced

My suggestion is to put a coolant filter on your truck, and monitor your temps. If you want to change over to elc, drain flush with tap till clear, flush with 24 gal of distilled, drain and add elc. I was personally going to do the restore and restore plus, but almost everyone clogs their cooler. Yours is ok, why clog it? Maybe someone on the org can tell us how a dump, water flush, and refill with elc, can be harmful when deltas are sill ok.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:52 AM

I've been looking @ filters....I've read mixed reviews about the sinister kits lately..

What's everyone using now?

Old 08-15-2012, 02:28 AM
Premium Member

I ordered xdp, because it was on sale. Lots of guys are using sinister.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I am running performance machine coolant filter. It was easy to install and the billet filter base looks good too. As for the cleaners, I didnt have bad deltas but was going to do studs (and update everything) so i took the time to flush with the cleaners. I ran tap water with everything open as mentioned above in the previous post and did the fillling and flusing with tap water several times too. After all of that, i ran each cleaner with several flushes between both cleaners and couldnt believe the crap that came out of the system. I forget which cleaner removes the silicates and which does the iron deposits, but the silicate cleaner caused the fluid i drained go from being what looked like tap water that was safe to drink coming out of the block to a milky sludge that looked more like itallian salad dressing. sounds weird but cant think of anything else that it looked like. Did the same thing with teh second cleaner. water came out almost black, again that was after multiple flushes with tap water. After all of that and installing the coolant filter and ELC coolant, dealts on my oil cooler i replaced anyway (cause it was only $250) are within a couple degrees under most conditions unless towing 10k trailer up a grade when its 115 here in AZ. Just my experience...
Old 08-15-2012, 06:24 AM

How is it possible that a super expensive truck such as these suffer from cooling system "sludge" or debris that bad? How is it that to just change coolants you have to go through a days worth of complicated and time consuming, expensive flushing...install filters...and end up with a clogged oil cooler?

What about these trucks makes the cooling system the worst cooling system ever created? I've seen people take engines (gas and diesel alike) and just drain and refill...eventually putting 500K on them without the first hint of a problem. Yet these trucks seem to cause so much trouble. Were the blocks intentionally filled with dirt? Does the metal dissolve from the Ford Gold coolant?

I've drained and refiled my Ford Gold coolant and it looks pretty good. From what I can see inside the hoses, tanks and such...everything looks pretty good. So I just refilled with the same. I'd like to just drain, flush with distilled water, and refill with ELC and forget. But who knows what kind of "damage" that could cause on a system that seems to be trashed on day one from the factory.

I'd really like to know what VC9 etc does to the radiator and heater core.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:52 AM
Premium Member

It is a well documented chain reaction of events, just not well received.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:46 AM
Premium Member

Adam your delta's are good. Why not wait since you have a way to monitor them. You will have to change the cooler once you proceed with the flush
Old 08-15-2012, 09:44 AM

Agreed. Personally, I'd test the coolant to check its condition, dump it if its bad and replace with Ford Gold, buy a monitoring solution and a coolant filter, and drive. Flushing now may clog the cooler. Wait until its actually clogged, flush, replace the cooler, and fill with ELC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.