Best Towing Tune?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2012, 11:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Best Towing Tune??

I wondering what kind of custom tunes you guys run on your truck when towing. I'm kind of looking for best mpg tune for towing.

I'm currently in the middle of finishing repainting the truck, already finished "bulletproofing" the engine (ARP studs, EGR delete, Coolant filter, FICM w/ atlas 40 tune, 5 inch exhaust, oil cooler, upgraded turbo oil feed lines, Sct tuner and guages)- already have the looney tune- damn that thing is fast, can't wait to be done painting it!! So now I'm just kind of looking for the best towing tune with what I have done to the truck. I'll be towing between 6000-8000lbs when I do tow. Any suggestions??? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2012, 11:45 AM
The Silent Service

Most street level files still leave enough room for towing that level of weight, if you are looking for more power (as for studded trucks).

I run IDP's Tow file whenever I hook up over 4K, and am comfortable with that upto 10k (personal reasons, and that happens to be the heaviest towed with it to date).

I would also recommend checking with Vivian's aggressive tow (about +65HP over stock), and have the jack-brake tuning added (strengthens the engine braking functions of the turbo). May be a little overkill for that load though.

I'm looking to shift to Vivian's tow file once I have the new turbo in hand. One of the aggressive files, and another with zero additional fueling for towing my GCWR.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:14 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I just towed approx 8k this weekend with Vivians agg tow and it did great, A little more power than my IDP 8K tow, EGT'S hit 1100 at one point but that was the max.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:25 PM

For anyone who has worked with Vivian, this may be redundant. But, for others, it might be useful.

I am looking at her tunes, and she sent me this e-mail with some specifics on each. This may give you the information that you are looking for. It looks like she doesn't recommend tunes when towing more than 10k (except for the Transmission Only File), but you mentioned 6-8k. So, you'd probably be fine with a few different options.

==================

Economy - is designed for bumper-to-bumper traffic to reduce turbo lag. You can save between 2-4 mpg. (40rwhp)

Economy Only - We have found that most people get the best fuel mileage from our Looney tune, as long as they are not always on the pedal. This file is designed in the image of the Looney but does not contain performance parameters. You can save 3-6 mpg. With this file you cannot tow at all. (40-50rwhp)

Transmission Only File - We do not recommend towing more than 10,000 with a file, any file or anybody's file. This file is the alternative. With the transmission shifting properly you will feel the truck to be stronger (+/- 20hp).

Tow - is designed for pulling. A normal tow file is about 50hp, when aggressive can range between 65-75. We can also add jake brake to any tow file. This feature works with the exhaust back pressure in your truck and you must have your tow-haul on when pulling weight but don't need to turn tow-haul on if not towing.

Street - is designed for highway driving. It's drivability parameters are intensified for ease in passing and maintaining higher speeds for longer periods of time. (90-120rwhp)

Looney - is designed for daily driving. We've been told it shifts better than stock and as long as you are not always on the pedal, you will save FUEL! It is the highest daily tune that we will send via the net without physically tuning your truck. (130-160rwhp)

Looney Wild - 20-30 hp more than the Looney but we only offer to customers with aftermarket headstuds.

Looney Wild Track - Same horsepower as the Looney Wild but you don't need headstuds to run this file since it is NOT a daily driver file. It is only for racing and competition pulling. Basically what we do is take away a lot of the drivability to give you more power to the ground.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:53 PM

I use Vivians agg tow with jb daily. Its a great tune. I tow anywhere from 5-10k through out the workweek. Matched up with the mad turbo werks stage two the truck never gets too hot and has plenty of power towing. Couldn't ask for a better combo. The jb feature is a little overrated imo, its fun to play around with but only really works with tow haul on and I never use tow haul. I hate flipping back and forth to get the full jb feature when I want it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.