Warm Up Times / No Power - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2012, 06:46 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Eagle 33
Warm Up Times / No Power

I'm fairly new to owning diesels, but not new to driving them. My 06 F350 is a PITA in the morning unless it warms up at least 10 minutes. Mind you the ambient temperature here has been in the low 70's overnight, so its not overly cold out. The truck had the EGR removed by the prior owner, and i've heard that it is adding to my increased warm up times.

I have also heard that the programming doesn't kick in until the engine gets to operating temperature. is there a way around that? I mean i understand that the idea is to have it warm before you put a ton of power to it so that it doesnt mess up the engine. I have an SCT Livewire for a tuner. So if getting a new set of tunes would solve this, it would be well worth the money!

the problem is that I'm a volunteer firefighter and I can't warm up the truck for 10 minutes before heading out when there is a call to respond to. And no acceleration and a max speed of about 30 is just not cutting it.

I have read people saying that switching oil will help, and i'm due for an oil change anyway. what do you guys recommend?

If the problem is like this when its this warm out, I can only imagine how much worse it will be when the temps are down to single digits or negatives.

Anyone able to help me out here?

Last edited by Eagle 33; 08-14-2012 at 06:50 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2012, 07:40 AM

These engines love thinner oils. I live in cali temps are always moderate. I start my vehicle and drive, 0 warmup even on our coldest days(high 20's). Heck even when I go to the mountains in the snow I don't do a warmup. Just drive with a light foot until warm. I will say when it is near 0 the truck has no power at all until warm.

Last edited by lenzhotrod; 08-14-2012 at 11:15 AM.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Im saying this more as a question for others than a statement. Could a bad glow plug(s) cause this ?Or would that be more of a hard start issue. Just a thought

And I run Rotella T6 (full syn) through my truck
Old 08-14-2012, 08:30 AM

Send a message via AIM to Eagle 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenzhotrod View Post
Just drve with a light foot until warm.
I try to go easy until its warm, but when there is a call for a structure fire... i'd kind of like to be able to get on it a bit.

Our FD has an 04 F350 with a 6.0 and it has full power even when its cold. Which is why its odd to me that this truck takes so long to warm up

on a side note, what is the "rule of thumb" for oil change intervals?
Old 08-14-2012, 11:16 AM

You might look at your FICM voltages.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:58 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Load test your batteries, then test your ficm, try running rotella t6 oil and maybe rev-x to help with stiction. You need a monitor, if you plan on owning a 6.0. 70 is warm, you should not be having problems like that. I agree, you should ease into it for a minute our two after running.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle 33 View Post
I try to go easy until its warm, but when there is a call for a structure fire... i'd kind of like to be able to get on it a bit.

Our FD has an 04 F350 with a 6.0 and it has full power even when its cold. Which is why its odd to me that this truck takes so long to warm up

on a side note, what is the "rule of thumb" for oil change intervals?
With the 6.0, no more than 5000mi. It shears down the oil.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:49 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I run T6 with a amsoil bypass.. 7500 miles and my oil is still tested good. I don't pass 7500 though just because i know how much stress the oil is under.

As for the hard or sluggishness.. something is up here, because my truck has plenty of get up and go even just starting. Not saying to hammer down on it right after start up, but it moves fast at 25% pedal position. I also run vivian's looney tune... you SHOULD get custom tunes it's better then canned tunes and will really make a difference. Not saying it will solve the issue, but deff a big difference then canned tunes.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I had the same problem that got worse as time passed, eventually it wouldn't climb a set of ramps for an oil change unless it was warmed up. I took it to the dealer and they replaced the IPR as a goodwill "campaign" measure. Also got a reflash, no more issues.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:12 PM
Premium Member

FICM. Generally speaking, if it's an oil pressure issue, it usuaully worsens as the vehicle warms up and the oil gets thinner. With FICM, it's the exact opposite.

To the OP, is there excessive white smoke at idle? Especially before it warms up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.