First long trip with the 6.0. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2012, 11:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
First long trip with the 6.0 UPDATED w/ Scan gauge #'s

Hey guys at the end of this week i am going to be taking my first long trip with my 03 F250. Its about a 550 mile trip on way and ill be pulling a small U-haul trailer down to AL from OH. Nothing heavy just some antique furniture for my grandpa.

I did the blue spring update the other day and im going to finish setting up my Scan gauge tomorrow. Anything specific i should do or change before i head out???

The bought the truck about a month ago and and only have about 1500 miles on it. dealer said they changed all fluids and filters before i took it over (got the deal through my next door neighbor) Should i change the fuel filter just for peace of mind?

Also everything is nice and tight in the front end but i have this odd humm in the front that sounds like tires but quiets down when i let the clutch in i hear it about 45 and up.. bearings feel good and they have no play in them.

Sorry for all the newb questions this is just my first diesel and im still new to all the tricks and whatnot of the 6.0.

Thanks again!
-Mike

Last edited by 03XL6.0; 08-13-2012 at 02:11 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2012, 03:00 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Good job monitoring, read this.....Write Up: Monitoring the 6.0L PSD.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:40 AM

I never trust that the maintenance has already been done when I buy used vehicles. I always change fluids and filters.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:59 AM

Thats the first thing I do also.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:11 PM

Got my Scan gauge all programmed and took the truck out for a little spin to get a movies with the fiance. Truck was warm from sitting in the driveway while i programmed the Scan gauge.

Left the house with water temp reading 160~ and oil temp around 200~ trip into town is about 7 miles. By the time we get to the movies store. temps were 190 water and 233 engine oil....

Now from what im reading the cooler is clogged and pretty good BUT

I have a 550 mile one way trip coming up on friday.. AM I SAFE TO DRIVE THE TRUCK? or am i risking to much.

Im going to take the truck out after work in the morning and run down the highway to see what the temps are at speed.

I need advice guys!
Old 08-13-2012, 03:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

IMO your risking to much already driving with those deltas. I wouldnt attemp it man. You could have more issues to come about with a 40* delta

Last edited by wagner22; 08-13-2012 at 03:26 PM.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:28 PM

ur already at the point were the truck will de-fuel. Its not a safe trip, especially bc those numbers are just from a little small trip. What kind of coolant is in the truck? If its gold you'll need to dump that but your going to have to do the egr cooler and oil cooler then put in the ELC coolant. Flush the truck with the old coolers installed not after. also adding a coolant filter is a plus. also how many miles are on the truck
Old 08-13-2012, 03:48 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Did you take it on the highway yet?
That is the only way to get acurate numbers!

Also, I would NOT be doing that work and would be going back to the Dealer that sold it to you and demand them to fix it because they sold you a POS (if in fact the delta is 40*)

Also, check the FMP (FICM voltage) on your scangauge while your at it... Shouldn't ever be lower then 47.5-48v
Old 08-13-2012, 04:27 PM

The FMIC voltage is spot on at 48-48.5 volts

Now here is some interesting info. When i was looking up the codes for the EOT on the scan gauge i found two different ones.

this is the first one i typed in as the poster said that this one worked for him and he is running an 04 truck

Copied from "amdriven2liv" thread titled Scan Guage II?'s

Engine Oil Temp

TXD: 07E0221310

RXF: 046245130610

RXD: 3010

MTH: 00090005F05F (00090005FFD8 alternate MTH found)

NAM: EOT

I ran the MTH code in red first and was getting readings as high as 233* i just got home from a friends house a few min ago and i was a 10mile drive there and back and the temps were 186 and 231. pulled in the drive way and for ****s and giggles i typed in the code in blue and the temp went from 230 idleing in the driveway to 189* EOT WFT!!

I didnt bother trying the other codes earlier cause i figured if one worked then the other wouldnt:co nfused:

input?

Illl be running it down the highway in the morning and ill try both codes and see what i get.

And the truck only has 96k on it. and i bought the truck as is through my neighbors dealership and the truck was bought online from a dealer in MO
Old 08-13-2012, 04:34 PM

Your oil cooler is clogged. Postpone the trip for 2 weeks. Start a coolant flush now, plenty of write ups on it here.

Do the flush, drive it for a couple days and then park the truck and tear it down, if possible delete or replace the EGR cooler(if replacing the BPD is worth the money) while replacing the oil cooler since its the same amount of work to do both, so its one of those might as well things.

Also, isnt a bad time to pop the VC's and oil rails to replace the stand pipes/dummy plugs.

Jason

Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.