What would you do? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2012, 06:18 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What would you do?

I posted some background in the diesel diagnostics forum (thread name: NEW OWNER, ANYTHING I CAN AVOID) but here is to catch everyone up.

I recently bought a 2005 CCSB lariat with 138K on it. I assumed the truck was 100% stock and it seems to be using a bit of coolant. I ordered a bunch of stuff ARP's, EGR cooler, etc etc. basically my plan WAS to bulletproof it. I am stationed in Georgia and my wife took the truck to Indiana because her father's health is deteriorating, about a week after I got it, so I didn't get much time to check it out. Wife stopped twice to refill the degas bottle, she never overheated it, but she said it got past 1/2 way on the gauge and she pulled over around 3/4 on the gauge to top it off (that's how I found out it was using coolant)

Anyways I am now in Indiana as well, and I was looking at the truck today during a coolant flush, and to my surprise the truck already has ARP head studs, I am unsure of the head gaskets, it already has an EGR delete, and I think it also has a bulletproof FICM.

I will post up some pics tomorrow in the daylight and you guys can let me know what you think of everything.

Also there is NO check engine light on (and it's an 05) so it must have already been flashed because the EGR valve is missing with a block off plate installed and the plug that connects to it is just there not plugged into anything.

I want to get an SCT tuner, and a FICM flash but at this point I have NO IDEA what has been done to this truck. I called the previous owner he claims he has never done anything to the truck except replaced the water pump about a month before he traded it in on a brand new ford diesel. Also the Coolant hose that I think runs to the EGR cooler, is a metal tube bent at around 135* angle(more than 90* but less than 180*) and there is a blue silicone hose that apparently is bypassing where the EGR cooler would have been.

Armed with this new information I am looking for a small coolant leak (hoping it's just a leak) because the truck doesn't smoke at all, but it could very well have had a headgasket job using black onyx gaskets.

My thing is I don't want to go flashing the PCIM and FICM if it is already flashed. So my questions is this: What would you do?

I will take pics and look at anything you all suggest so we (you all, and myself) can try to figure out what has been upgraded, what needs attention, and what should be left alone. Thanks for reading, and thanks for your help and suggestions.

Last edited by turbocharged; 08-12-2012 at 06:23 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2012, 06:23 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to 2003kingranch
If it were HG it would not be using coolant. Its not puking is it? how much coolant is it using? Does the truck smell like coolant at all? if there is no cel it may be tuned. because a 05+ truck will need sct tunes to disable the cel with an egr delete
Old 08-12-2012, 06:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

-IMO I would check the PSI of the cooling system to see if their is an issue with HG's.

-Get something to monitor your vitals with, I didnt see you mention anything about that

-Get it re-flashed at ford and then do what you want with it.

IMO thats a good place to start with
Old 08-12-2012, 06:57 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Hey bud glad to hear its mostly been bulletproofed. Sounds to me you have a possible coolant leak. Now that said if its not puking it can use coolant with blown head gaskets because when the system is under pressure if the gaskets have failed it could leak back into the cylinders after the truck is shut off.

What you want to do is get a pressure gauge on the cooling system and get it up to temp and release the pressure in the system by loosening the degass cap. Be careful not to burn yourself. Retighten the degass cap and see if you can get a spike or rise in the system. Once it's pressurized park the truck and shut it off. Let it sit for about a half hour and check the pressure on the gauge. If it has stayed the same as when you shut it off then you don't have a leak. However if the pressure has dropped significantly then start searching for leaks everywhere possible. If none are visible outside of the engine than you likely have either blown head gaskets or possibly cracked heads.

Try this test and let us know what happens.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:04 PM

@wagner22 you reminded me, I have a dashboss on the way since I have an ipod touch that I don't use anyway.

These are the things I bought and are on there way, (bought them in georgia before I got here to see the truck)

IPR Research: high flow coolant filter, ARP head studs, OEM headgaskets, Extreme duty EGR cooler, OEM Oil Cooler, HPOP fitting update kit, Blue spring update, Dummy plugs, I think that is it from IPR

MISC: Dashboss W/EGT probe, Innovative Diesel FICM tuner

The stuff I will most likely keep: Dashboss w/EGT, FICM tuner, Blue spring upgrade, Coolant filter, and most likely the OEM headgaskets (can the APR nuts/studs be reused?)

I also had in my cart a bulletproof FICM, and an SCT tuner, but had to wait on those, I am in a time crunch right now, I am here for 14 more days, then I have to report back in to Ga. so I will be driving the truck back down there, then if need be I can park it and work on it/bulletproof it at my liesure.

The truck does smell like a HINT of burning coolant, but only when you shut it off and walk in FRONT of the truck, maybe it's just leaking onto something hot and burning off from there. There is ZERO smoke, and Zero smell in the exhaust.

Wife says she added 2 to 2.5 gallons of water to get from Ga. to In. (approximately 1,000 miles one way) She let her brother take it for a drive and he romped on it a bit and said it was leaking from the de gas cap. I got here and confirmed the truck did in fact have an 18psi cap on it, instead of the stock 16psi. I replaced that cap with a 16 pounder from advance auto, and removed the T-stat, filled it with some PEAK radiator flush (that's the only brand they had today) and per the instructions drove it around for approximately 1 hour, (instructions say drive for 3-6 hours and it can be spread out over a few days) truck never got hot, and doesn't appear to be spitting or leaking from the cap right now.

I have to go to town (20 minutes away) tomorrow, to get some coolant, and I will look for the test strips AND a pressure gauge and check the cooling system out both ways. I will also get some pics posted of the items in question. THX again
Old 08-12-2012, 07:44 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Your arps can be reused. Pm me a price on the new ones shipped to 44615 if you decide to sell them as well as if you decide to sell the ipr coolant filter and OEM gaskets.

DIY Cooling System Pressure Test Write-up.

Last edited by Tuscany; 08-12-2012 at 07:49 PM.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:28 AM

@tuscany I appreciate your help, I know how frusterating it can be to answer the same post 100 times, by 100 different noobs, none the less thanks for the patience. I will give you first dibs on the excess parts.

I will be going to get coolant and the pressure gauge and test strips, after that the truck should be dry as it rained last night. Once i get back from that running around I will start posting pictures of misc parts and see what you guys think the next course of action should be.

Should have all my parts by the end of this week. (hopefully)
Old 08-13-2012, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscany View Post
Hey bud glad to hear its mostly been bulletproofed. Sounds to me you have a possible coolant leak. Now that said if its not puking it can use coolant with blown head gaskets because when the system is under pressure if the gaskets have failed it could leak back into the cylinders after the truck is shut off.
I was worrying that it could be leaking into the cylinders as well, but when I got here it had been sitting for a few days, I went to the truck and cranked it up, it cranked a tad bit slower than I remember, fired right up(about 2 seconds) and it still didn't smoke at all, so hopefully all this is pointing to an external leak.

I got a new cap as the one that was on there was RATED 18PSI. It has a new stock one on it now, but does anyone think that extra 2PSI of pressure could do some harm? I am not talking about 2PSI for a quick ride around the block, I mean extra 2PSI for a solid month. maybe over time the extra pressure may tear up something.

I personally think it would be fine, but you guys are the collective experts here. THX
Old 08-13-2012, 08:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Not sure if you know this or not, but the with engine cold, the coolant level should be at the MIN line not full. Maybe it was overfilled and thats why you were puking ?
Old 08-13-2012, 08:28 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
doesnt sound to be a terrible problem id say is external and only leaks under pressure and maybe only leaks when motor is hot suggesting a leak that gets worse as things expand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.