Truck finally died - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2012, 12:57 PM
RollinEarly05...now

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Truck finally died

Monday while I was idleing in the Mcdonalds drive thru my oil and coolant temps started to rise quickly. By the time I got out of the drive thru my coolant and oil temps where 250!!! To make matters worse, right before I shut the truck off in the same parking lot, it started smoking white and blue smoke like I have never seen before. Filled the entire parking lot! Took it to a diesel mechanic and he quoted $8000! Egr cooler went out and then went the oil cooler, and last but not least the headgaskets. I can't belive they all went out within a 5 minute period!!! Oil was pouring out of the degas bottle and the crankcase was empty!!!

Im having the shop do: Headstuds(with oem headgaskets), full egr delete, bulletproof oil cooler(with cold weather kit), bulletproof 58v ficm, STC fitting, 6.4 banjo bolts, blue fuel spring, dummy plugs and standpipes, new degas bottle and cap, turbo drain pipe, hpop screen, icp screen, amsoil bypass oil filter and replace every o-ring, seal, or gasket they come in contact with.

Parts are going to be almost $6000 alone so I think they are giving me a good deal.

I have a few questions for ya guys...

When they flush the coolant side of the block, should I get some restore plus for the mechanic?

Is there anything else in my list I'm forgetting? I don't want to have to go back into the motor because I forgot something!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2012, 01:47 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Wow, did you actually monitor that thing to failure.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Old 08-12-2012, 02:00 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Something does not sound right here. Your EGR Cooler, Oil Cooler, and Head Gaskets do not just fail in a 5 minute period. Nothing "just fails" it's a long progressive failure. Since you have a monitor you must have been watching ECT and EOT...what were your deltas at 65mph unloaded? Your oil cooler had to have been clogged for a loooong time which took out the EGR Cooler. You slowly lost coolant until the truck ran itself out and overheated while you were in the drive through. If you saw ECT and EOT temps of 250* why in the hell would you not shut the truck off? Their is obviously something wrong. It doesn't matter if your in a drive through or not. It's pretty easy to push the truck out into the lot and save vital components in the engine. Sorry if I'm sounding like an azz but a lot of this could have been prevented with a closer eye on your gauges. This is the reason we all nag on 6.0 owners to get gauges before anything but once you have them it doesn't mean you can just go wild and not actually monitor and interpret the very valuable data they are giving you. Good luck with everything!!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 08-12-2012, 03:11 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazsecond View Post
Something does not sound right here. Your EGR Cooler, Oil Cooler, and Head Gaskets do not just fail in a 5 minute period. Nothing "just fails" it's a long progressive failure. Since you have a monitor you must have been watching ECT and EOT...what were your deltas at 65mph unloaded? Your oil cooler had to have been clogged for a loooong time which took out the EGR Cooler. You slowly lost coolant until the truck ran itself out and overheated while you were in the drive through. If you saw ECT and EOT temps of 250* why in the hell would you not shut the truck off? Their is obviously something wrong. It doesn't matter if your in a drive through or not. It's pretty easy to push the truck out into the lot and save vital components in the engine. Sorry if I'm sounding like an azz but a lot of this could have been prevented with a closer eye on your gauges. This is the reason we all nag on 6.0 owners to get gauges before anything but once you have them it doesn't mean you can just go wild and not actually monitor and interpret the very valuable data they are giving you. Good luck with everything!!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Bet you are one of the guys that hangs out in the emergency room and tells heart attack victims "you know you shouldn`t have eaten bacon all thoses years we told you so" Damn dude give the guy a break
Old 08-12-2012, 03:18 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by theplumbingmedic View Post
Bet you are one of the guys that hangs out in the emergency room and tells heart attack victims "you know you shouldn`t have eaten bacon all thoses years we told you so" Damn dude give the guy a break
He has a point, those are the kind of trucks that get patched up and patched up and passed on to the rest of us.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:50 PM
RollinEarly05...now

My oil cooler has been plugged up... but only 20 degree difference while towing. I was affraid of shutting the truck off and warping the heads. It is easy to say you should have done this or this after the fact. But that's what happened and its to late now! And im 100% postive it didn't run out of coolant, I check my oil and coolant every day(unless im late for work). Im also not complaing about anything... simply looking for some answers to questions I had.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:30 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via ICQ to Duncan's KR Send a message via Yahoo to Duncan's KR
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollinEarly99 View Post
Monday while I was idling in the McDonald's drive thru my oil and coolant temps started to rise quickly. By the time I got out of the drive thru my coolant and oil temps where 250!!! To make matters worse, right before I shut the truck off in the same parking lot, it started smoking white and blue smoke like I have never seen before. Filled the entire parking lot! Took it to a diesel mechanic and he quoted $8000! Egr cooler went out and then went the oil cooler, and last but not least the head gaskets. I can't believe they all went out within a 5 minute period!!! Oil was pouring out of the degas bottle and the crankcase was empty!!!

Im having the shop do: Headstuds(with oem headgaskets), full egr delete, bulletproof oil cooler(with cold weather kit), bulletproof 58v ficm, STC fitting, 6.4 banjo bolts, blue fuel spring, dummy plugs and standpipes, new degas bottle and cap, turbo drain pipe, hpop screen, icp screen, amsoil bypass oil filter and replace every o-ring, seal, or gasket they come in contact with.

Parts are going to be almost $6000 alone so I think they are giving me a good deal.

I have a few questions for ya guys...

When they flush the coolant side of the block, should I get some restore plus for the mechanic?

Is there anything else in my list I'm forgetting? I don't want to have to go back into the motor because I forgot something!
Man this sucks, sorry it happen to you. From the list provided it looks like you have most everything covered, I don't see anything that missing off hand. Be sure that you have your heads checked properly, i think that a flush of the engine and the radiator would be a very good idea to get any of the stuff that may be still in there out. A coolant filter may be something you might want to consider along with ECL or Evans coolant. I hope you are able to get it back on the road soon best of luck to ya.....
Old 08-14-2012, 03:34 AM

What were your deltas before the failure? Something doesn't sound right for everything to go south in 5 min.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:56 AM
RollinEarly05...now

My deltas where around 20 degrees while towing... right at 14-15 empty on the highway. Been like that for a year. Been save some $$$ so I could fix everything at once
Old 08-14-2012, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollinEarly99 View Post
My deltas where around 20 degrees while towing... right at 14-15 empty on the highway. Been like that for a year. Been save some $$$ so I could fix everything at once
Ur oil cooler was def getting clogged. Make sure ur head gaskets are actually shot, to easy for the mech to cash in ya know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.