How do I tell which coolant is in there now? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2012, 11:31 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How do I tell which coolant is in there now?

Ok, I feel stupid for asking this question, but this truck has had a coolant leak, I believe a cracked degas bottle that only presents itself when I'm towing, which is VERY rare. I didn't discover this until I was on a long trip, towing a truck and trailer behind me in 104 degree weather through very steep hilly terrain. The truck still has the EGR cooler and the deltas are almost always within 5* and we've had numerous 114-115 degree days here recently. I was stranded on the road with the truck overheating. My only solution at the time was to put water in it to get me down the road. The problem is that I need to add some coolant and I don't know for sure what kind it's had in it up to this point. Is there a way to tell for sure? The coolant doesn't have much color to it, I can't tell what color it is. It's definitely not red. So should I just add some gold to it until I do the flush and EGR cooler delete and oil cooler replacement later?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2012, 01:01 PM

Color is the only way I know of, off the top of my head. Still won't tell the strength of it. Also no such thing as a stupid question,only stupid mistakes!!!
Old 08-12-2012, 01:25 PM

Put whatever you want in it for now and when you get home do a complete flush and put in some good elc coolant and be done with it. If your deltas are good now you could just drain it and fill with elc instead of flushing it and possibly clogging your cooler.
Old 08-12-2012, 03:28 PM

I thought you couldn't put in ELC unless you had used Restore/Restore+ to clean the other stuff out or it makes the ELC ineffective?

Yes my deltas have always been very good.
Old 08-12-2012, 03:46 PM

I cant speak for everybody, but what I did was flush with restore. That got rid of the gunk in the engine. I did not use Restore +, That breaks up the rust in the engine. I didn't have no problems with my delta's before or after the flush & fill.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp45601 View Post
I cant speak for everybody, but what I did was flush with restore. That got rid of the gunk in the engine. I did not use Restore +, That breaks up the rust in the engine. I didn't have no problems with my delta's before or after the flush & fill.
I'd like to know more about this. Ever since I put the gold coolant in it, my oil temps are much higher...shoulda just left straight water in it until I did the flush and oil cooler swap and egr delete. I've been driving a lot longer distances also, across very steep hilly country like Missouri. I'm leaving town in a week and won't be back for a couple of months, away from my tools, so I think I want to try this half-flush to hopefully clean out the oil cooler and get the right coolant in it so I don't have to worry about it while I'm out of town.

So you drained all the coolant, put a gallon of Restore in it, topped off with distilled water, ran it for x amount of time, then drained, filled with distilled water, ran it, drained, repeat. How many gallons of distilled water did you use? How long did you let it run after each refill before draining it? I have the high idle mod in place.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.