testing head gaskets - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2012, 09:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
testing head gaskets

wanted to double check my head gaskets. my dad bought the EDAS and put it on my 05. it has went off several times but with no signs of blown head gaskets. so i got napa's compression test kit (the one with the blue liquid) and it checks out good. didnt change color after trying two seperate times today. i cant find a 15psi gauhe anywhere near me to do the other test. should i order one and do it? anything else to check? or do you think im good with assuming my gaskets are fine?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2012, 10:16 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
You seriously bought that "engine damage avoidance system" from that douche bag bill HUIT? Send that pos back and get you money back that guy is a moron.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Bug a liquid filled pressure gauge. 20psi is fine too.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:48 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

most home depots etc have the low pressure gauges for testing gas lines etc
Old 08-12-2012, 11:25 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscany View Post
You seriously bought that "engine damage avoidance system" from that douche bag bill HUIT? Send that pos back and get you money back that guy is a moron.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscany View Post
dad bought it :/

he was over-cautious seeing as i was 1300 miles away. i have seen alot of bad things said about him. its pretty much just a pressure sensor setting off a speaker set to 16psi right? could he really screw up that bad and it be that much of a P.O.S. ?
Old 08-12-2012, 11:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
most home depots etc have the low pressure gauges for testing gas lines etc
thanks, ill check there tomorrow. i drove to several hardware shops and autozone/napa and nothing. harbor freight only had a 0-7psi and the next was 0-160psi.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:35 AM

The Lisle LIS20300 pressure/vacuum gauge will work (I believe it only goes to 14 or 15 psig though). O'Reilley's sells it.

Also - OTC 5613 Vacuum / Pressure Gauge Kit (0-15 psig)

Also - I believe Harbor Freight sells one.

Mityvac sells a 0-30 psig gauge and also does vacuum. It would be ideal: MVA6181
Mityvac
http://www.ntxtools.com/network-tool...Y-MVA6181.html

Lastly: KD Tools (0-15 psig) Model# KDS2521 and Actron CP7802 (0-15 psig)

The best way to check to see if combustion gasses are getting into the coolant is to drive it and get the coolant up to normal teperature (and it will be fully expanded at that point).

Shut it down and wrap a towel around the degas cap, and then remove it (slowly and carefully) to vent off the pressure. Then re-install the cap.

Then drive it and watch the pressure on the degas bottle. Any pressure you see at that point will come from gas leaking into the coolant, and not from the liquid expansion of the coolant.

Last edited by bismic; 08-12-2012 at 11:52 AM.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:55 PM

Not completely correct, at higher temperatures pressure will begin to build even with good gaskets. Remember, pressure stops boiling, If it still has a EGR cooler intact it will try to boil the coolant.
Old 08-12-2012, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenzhotrod View Post
Not completely correct, at higher temperatures pressure will begin to build even with good gaskets. Remember, pressure stops boiling, If it still has a EGR cooler intact it will try to boil the coolant.
Sorry but you are not completely correct Len. Besides being thermodynamically sound, it is proven on my system (and others). I do agree that you might see 1 psig increase (the volume/space increase due to any amount of "flash boiling" on a healthy EGR cooler surface is minimal), but that is all a normal system will produce.

Any appreciable boiling is prevented by proper heat transfer (which includes proper coolant flow) and the physical properties of the coolant. You need adequate contact time on the heat exchangers surface to flash boil and a healthy system just does not have much.

That being said, yes I can see where it is possible that SOME systems operate at temperatures high enough to flash boil more than a minimal amount of coolant on the walls of the heat exchangers, but even then (in most cases), the vapor will recondense as it mixes with the mainstream coolant flow.

I run the SRL+ tune and I get essentially no pressure build after doing the described procedure (1 psig is not enough to cause concern).

Lastly, pressure does not stop boiling, it simply elevates the boiling point. Normal back pressure only elevates it 15-20 C degrees IIRC (25 - 30 degrees F). That is not enough to drastically effect the design of heat removal from the EGR cooler that sees exhaust gas at 700 *C (1300 *F +). Remember, our systems are degas systems, not pressurized liquid systems. The normal pressure that our system operates at is less than 10 psig (8 psig typically) and not the 16 psig setpoint of the cap.

Last edited by bismic; 08-12-2012 at 01:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.